Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Savage 11 Combo at Dick's (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/savage-11-combo-dicks-74293/)

ChicagoJoe 10-14-2012 11:47 AM

Savage 11 Combo at Dick's

Is anyone here planning on buying a Savage 11? Savage 11 combos with Nikon BDC scopes are on sale at Dick's in Arlington Heights, IL for $499.99. The model on sale has the synthetic stock and detachable magazine. I'm not sure if this is a national sale or local, but wanted to give you Savage fans a heads up.

BlueTurf 10-14-2012 01:54 PM

That is a good buy. You will get a lot of bang for the buck with this rifle. The Savage rifles are known to be quite accurate right out of the box. I just talked with a guy yesterday who told me of someone who just bought one in 7mmx08 and shot a 1/2" group at 100 yards with Hornady Superformance ammo.

godale 10-14-2012 11:05 PM

savage makes a great rifle. i almost bought one last year but at that time they had a cheap simmons on them. i decided to go stevens 200 and put my own scope on it, if the nikon had been available in january in my area i would have went that way. either way they are both good rifles for the money

godale 10-15-2012 11:05 AM

i forgot to add a savage or at least all my savages tend to favor federal or hornaday ammo. of course maybe some differ

BlueTurf 10-15-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godale (Post 977243)
i forgot to add a savage or at least all my savages tend to favor federal or hornaday ammo. of course maybe some differ

Same here. Well, I don't shoot much factory ammo through my Savage 10FLP but the Hornady bullets do real well through it.

phildenton 10-16-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godale
savage makes a great rifle. i almost bought one last year but at that time they had a cheap simmons on them. i decided to go stevens 200 and put my own scope on it, if the nikon had been available in january in my area i would have went that way. either way they are both good rifles for the money

Arent savage and stevens part of the same company? They are great products i agree, last forever

godale 10-16-2012 12:52 PM

yep savage and syevens are the same company. a stevens 200 is basically a savage110 without the accutrigger

chloeshooter 10-16-2012 01:06 PM

for me, these rifles have way too much plastic for my liking. it's a personal preference, but i looked closely at buying one of these and it just didn't seem very sturdy in terms of the non-action working parts (trigger guard, etc). I do understand that they shoot great. I don't mind lugging around a few more ounces for that "solid" feel

godale 10-16-2012 03:19 PM

you bring up a valid point. however all the entry rifles are like that. maybe not so much the marlins though. with the stevens you can upgrade it as you go with the 770 and mossberg offering they are what they are. i have a 114 savage believe its called the classic it feels alot bettert and sturdier than the stevens 200 but hey it was 300 more too

kytowboater 10-16-2012 03:25 PM

I went and looked at the savage last night. I see the "flimsy" feel of the 111. T/C had a bolt gun, Mates to a T/C scope, that had more heft, a stronger feel it. The gun counter fella claimed to
Own both. Said he prefers the T/C, being $600 compared to the $500 for the 111, it's not
Much increase. Also the T/C has an MOA promise at 100 yards.