Savage 10 Precision vs Remmington M700
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage 10 Precision vs Remmington M700

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Default Savage 10 Precision vs Remmington M700

I'm new to the forum and just starting my research into rifles. I've got a couple months or more until I get my permit but I figured I should start looking now. I'm primarily going to be target shooting, no hunting or competition. Just enjoy shooting at the range and have always wanted to shoot a bolt action at like 500m or farther eventually. I realize I'll be starting in the 100-200m distance but eventually would like to go farther.

I went to the local shop and held a Savage 10 precision(.308win) I liked how it felt, not a fan of the digital camo but anyway. I also just because I'm into historical guns/war weapons I'm interested in a Remmington M700(.308win), don't know what variation though. Simply because that's what they've been using since what like 67? Just the coolnest factor to me and plus I've heard there an exilant weapon.

Wanted to know your guys take, I'm not made of money so I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible without getting crap. So between the Savage 10 precision(.308win) and some variation of the M700(.308win). Can use all the opinions honestly, Im new and could use some advise.
crazyfomo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfomo View Post
I'm new to the forum and just starting my research into rifles. I've got a couple months or more until I get my permit but I figured I should start looking now. I'm primarily going to be target shooting, no hunting or competition. Just enjoy shooting at the range and have always wanted to shoot a bolt action at like 500m or farther eventually. I realize I'll be starting in the 100-200m distance but eventually would like to go farther.

I went to the local shop and held a Savage 10 precision(.308win) I liked how it felt, not a fan of the digital camo but anyway. I also just because I'm into historical guns/war weapons I'm interested in a Remmington M700(.308win), don't know what variation though. Simply because that's what they've been using since what like 67? Just the coolnest factor to me and plus I've heard there an exilant weapon.

Wanted to know your guys take, I'm not made of money so I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible without getting crap. So between the Savage 10 precision(.308win) and some variation of the M700(.308win). Can use all the opinions honestly, Im new and could use some advise.
crazy, i can say this either one would be a real nice rifle and accurate. from my personal preference, i like the remington M700 better than the savage's because of the way they fit me. but i have owned and shot many savages, they are very good rifles and probably as good as the remingtons as far as function and accuracy. both the remington and the savages are proven performers and would serve you well for your intended purpose. the advantage a little also goes to the remington in aftermarket support, but the savages are getting more in aftermarket support as time passes, because they are selling well enough that they warrant it now. price is always an issue. and if this is your case, then new, the savages might be just a little less than the remingtons configured the same way. check your local gun store and pawn shops, as some great deal can be gotten if you look around for something used. good luck, and the 308 is an excellent choice in caliber.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
crazy, i can say this either one would be a real nice rifle and accurate. from my personal preference, i like the remington M700 better than the savage's because of the way they fit me. but i have owned and shot many savages, they are very good rifles and probably as good as the remingtons as far as function and accuracy. both the remington and the savages are proven performers and would serve you well for your intended purpose. the advantage a little also goes to the remington in aftermarket support, but the savages are getting more in aftermarket support as time passes, because they are selling well enough that they warrant it now. price is always an issue. and if this is your case, then new, the savages might be just a little less than the remingtons configured the same way. check your local gun store and pawn shops, as some great deal can be gotten if you look around for something used. good luck, and the 308 is an excellent choice in caliber.
Ok good to hear but I've also heard rumor/reports that Remmington has had trouble with there triggers with misfiring. I've done some research that says in most of those cases the guns couldn't recreate the misfire again. Also that some of those guns where tuned beyond authorized limits. Even if this trigger malfunction is BS still makes me nervous in the back of my mind.

Also any suggestions for Scopes? I know they can get crazy expensive.
crazyfomo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

crazy, no need for concern in regard to the remington triggers, as it is one of those urban myths! only ones that ever had any problems that could be duplicated were the ones done by backyard gunsmiths who didn't do them properly in the first place. i own several remington M700's, and have adjusted the triggers for lighter pull, but also do a very thorough safety check afterwards. i feel very safe and trust my remington's triggers. if i couldn't get them as low as i wanted and for it to be safe, then i would seriously look at getting an aftermarket trigger that would go down as low as i wanted. not cheap, but this is the only way sometimes to be safe. there are also aftermarket triggers for the savages too. while i have replaced the OEM triggers on remingtons, i have not done one on a savage, so i can't advise on how difficult they are to replace. like i said either rifle is a very good choice in the caliber that you want.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
crazy, no need for concern in regard to the remington triggers, as it is one of those urban myths! only ones that ever had any problems that could be duplicated were the ones done by backyard gunsmiths who didn't do them properly in the first place. i own several remington M700's, and have adjusted the triggers for lighter pull, but also do a very thorough safety check afterwards. i feel very safe and trust my remington's triggers. if i couldn't get them as low as i wanted and for it to be safe, then i would seriously look at getting an aftermarket trigger that would go down as low as i wanted. not cheap, but this is the only way sometimes to be safe. there are also aftermarket triggers for the savages too. while i have replaced the OEM triggers on remingtons, i have not done one on a savage, so i can't advise on how difficult they are to replace. like i said either rifle is a very good choice in the caliber that you want.
Ok Thanks man! If adjusting the trigger isn't to hard I'd do it, if it is I'd get it professionally done.
crazyfomo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfomo View Post
Ok Thanks man! If adjusting the trigger isn't to hard I'd do it, if it is I'd get it professionally done.
it isn't hard to do, but if you have never done it, then my advice would be to let a competent gunsmith do it. i learned how many years ago from a friend of mine who use to be a gunsmith. he also drilled into my head about safety and how do them properly. i would never suggest or recommend soneone doing their own trigger work unless they had the experiance to do so safely. i did several of my rifles years ago under his watchful eye and learned how to do them safely. under no circumstances would i do anyone elses trigger for any amount of money. my rifles are mine and mine alone and what i do to them is my business and responsibility. i will also preach this to the rafters, if you have never done one, then don't touch it, dont adjust it, just leave it alone, because if not, you could end up with a rifle, that could hurt or kill someone,and i can't stress that enough.

scopes are easy, spend the most money you can on a good quality scope. there are many good choices out there, Nikon, Swift, Leupold, Vortex, and ect.. the best way is to look through them and see which one suits your needs the best. as you say the rifle will mainly be used for target shooting, look at the higher magnificaton scopes, like a 3-10 or 4-12 or even a 4-16 power scope. or even a 6-18 power might be to your liking. scope optics have gotten much better in the last few years even on lower cost scopes.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,171
Liked 773 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Default

Historic you say. If you want true historic, look at Gibbs M1903's. Pretty out standing firearms, that are basicly new w/ original receivers. The 700 has never really floated my boat. I'm a Mauser guy. The Winchester pre '64 70 would be a perfect compromise. Come to think of it, it was used in Vietnam.
It improved on the '98 Mauser action. The '96 and '98 Mausers would work well for your purpose also. I gave a 1896 build to my middle son last year. He picked the options. $600.00+- was the completed cost. as pictured. I still need to camo the metal.
__________________
Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.
jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 19,170
Liked 6724 Times on 3580 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Default

i had a remington 700 xcr compact tactical. very very great shooting gun. however... for whatever reason i had a devil of a time loading the damn internal magazine. i ended up trading it off for a M1 Garand.

later i bought a M1A loaded from springfield armory. was really fun to shoot but it just didnt do what i was really needing. ended up selling it and bought a savage model 10 FCP-SR. i put a nightforce nxs on it. its a submoa gun all day long with pretty much any load i choose.



will NOT be trading this one off!! ive got paperwork in atm since septemberish for a suppressor for it.
__________________
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:28 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Historic you say. If you want true historic, look at Gibbs M1903's. Pretty out standing firearms, that are basicly new w/ original receivers. The 700 has never really floated my boat. I'm a Mauser guy. The Winchester pre '64 70 would be a perfect compromise. Come to think of it, it was used in Vietnam.
It improved on the '98 Mauser action. The '96 and '98 Mausers would work well for your purpose also. I gave a 1896 build to my middle son last year. He picked the options. $600.00+- was the completed cost. as pictured. I still need to camo the metal.
That thing looks pretty awesome. A dream would be to get an enfield or an m1 garande to be true historic to me but I've always admired the sleek simple looking m700. I don't even know where I'd go to look for a gun like that around here anyway. Again...looks awesome.
crazyfomo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:32 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i had a remington 700 xcr compact tactical. very very great shooting gun. however... for whatever reason i had a devil of a time loading the damn internal magazine. i ended up trading it off for a M1 Garand.

later i bought a M1A loaded from springfield armory. was really fun to shoot but it just didnt do what i was really needing. ended up selling it and bought a savage model 10 FCP-SR. i put a nightforce nxs on it. its a submoa gun all day long with pretty much any load i choose.



will NOT be trading this one off!! ive got paperwork in atm since septemberish for a suppressor for it.
That thing looks bitchin'. That is a bit out of my price range. Ha couldn't load the M700 mag so you went for a much larger one lol. 10 shot mag is pretty sweet. So people are saying there both good guns so I'm a bit torn between them. Think I might go M700, depending on what prices and availability at local shops. Lucky living in a state that allows suppressors I'm looking at the MODEL 700™ SPS™ TACTICAL AAC®-SD™ which has a treaded barrel for a suppressor but NEW JERSEY doesn't want me to have one...
crazyfomo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
chronograph results for 1858 remmington tiberius10721 Blackpowder & Musket 0 06-22-2011 09:27 PM
Need remmington 510-513 bolt williamsmar .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 3 05-21-2011 07:27 PM
Remmington 1911 R1 Transman 1911 Forum 9 08-04-2010 06:21 AM
Remmington Derringer SteveG Curio & Relic Discussion 2 01-06-2010 12:21 AM
03/A3 Remmington Bolt dteed4094 General Rifle Discussion 0 05-31-2009 11:21 PM



Newest Threads