Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage 10 FCP-SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5304 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Default Savage 10 FCP-SR

well i put up a thread a bit ago wanting opinions on a couple of different rifles. i ended up going with the savage 10 fcp-sr. when i ordered it savage had yet to ship any to any distributor. i dropped by my lgs this afternoon to pick up some ammo for my wife as i dont have any compnents for loading 9mm yet.

when i walked he handed me a savage box. it was the brand new savage 10 fcp-sr!! evidently savage shipped out a few and i got one of the very fist ones hot off the presses!!

they ship with a blank target, manual, cable lock, one set of foam ear plugs, and a tool to adjust the accu-trigger.

unfortunately savage has yet to ship any of the spare 10 round mags. the mag release works very well not much force is needed. inserting the mag is super easy and locks in place with little effort. its also got an oversized tear drop bolt handle.

it comes with a 20moa canted picatinny rail. i will be mounting a leupold mk4 m1 mildot 4.5x14 30mm objective scope later tonite. i will take the rail off to be sure it is torqued and loc tited properly.

one of the other features i wanted besides the box mag was a threaded barrel. going tomorrow afternoon to purchase a suppressor. im looking at one of the aac models.

the stock seems well fitted i really like the feel of it. the buttpad is reminiscent of the limb saver onl much more spongy. not sure i like that. i may replace it if it becomes an issue with proper cheek weld.

the trigger guard is a high impact plastic. over all the rifle is very very lightweight for a 24" heavy fluted barrel.

i realllllllly like the accutrigger. its super light very crisp. the trigger safety doesnt feel like its in the way at all. for now im not changing the weight of pull from how it was shipped.

i tried loading it and it requires a strong hand for it to load and extract dummy rounds. it should smooth out more with use. the savages ive tried have all been pretty smooth after a break in.

the only posible negative i have without shooting it is possibly the buttpad. i love everything else!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1731 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 545

The trigger on the tactical guns are set lighter than the hunting guns from the factory. It can lock up if you work the bolt too hard. If it does just open the bolt to reset.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 09-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

That´s a seriously good looking rifle, can´t wait to see the range report.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:38 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

thanks

just got the leupold scope and harris bipod attached tonite. taking it out saturday for the first go round.

scope is a leupold 4.5-14x50mm 30mm tube mk4 m1 mildot.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-30-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Good deal Jon,You should be very happy with that setup.

The action will loosen up with a few rounds.They're not butter smooth like a Browning or Sako/Tikka,but it's kinda hard to do that with a floating bolt head rifle like Savage.
An AAC unit would be right at home on that barrel.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:02 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Good deal Jon,You should be very happy with that setup.

The action will loosen up with a few rounds.They're not butter smooth like a Browning or Sako/Tikka,but it's kinda hard to do that with a floating bolt head rifle like Savage.
An AAC unit would be right at home on that barrel.
Thanks.

Its a lot like operating a mosin bolt. A little stiff and clunky but definately solid lockup. What really counts is the result when firing. But i knew the bolt wasnt going to be smooth like a mauser ive fired savages owned by other folks.

Price for all the features isnt a bad deal. Especially for the way ive seen similar savages shoot.

One other thing if i end up liking the stock im gonna have it primered then digi camoed pink. The stock not the gun

Last edited by JonM; 09-30-2011 at 04:05 AM.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

the rail was not torqued down and no loctite used. screws were not all uniform length so keeping straight which screw goes in what hole is important. everything is loctited down scope mounted and gun is clean of shipping oils. taking it out tomorrow for its first session.

went this afternoon and submitted the paper work on a suppressor. i ended up going with the surefire quick detachable FA762K.

may have to get a lar8 from rra at some point hmm...

Old 10-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

That is very pretty

Old 10-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

What is your break in procedure?

Old 10-01-2011, 02:38 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
What is your break in procedure?
i just shoot em and clean em when im done

my national match RRA has about 250 rounds down the tube and its sub moa at 300yds open sights.

i dont think break-ins are needed