Savage 10 bolt is heavy and chunky

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Savage 10 bolt is heavy and chunky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Savage 10 bolt is heavy and chunky

I disassembled and reassembled my savage 10 bolt for a deep cleaning and now the action is really heavy and, for lack of a better word, chunky.
Now, by virtue of being a savage, it never had the lightest, smoothest action in the world but it seems a lot worse now. I'd estimate the lift weight to be more than 10lbs and I can feel every minute stage of every moving part.
I had a good amount of difficulty with the firing pin spring. Is it possible that I have it set too tight or too loose? Are there any easy fixes for this? I've read a few articles on bolt lift kits using a .38 casing and a ball bearing but I was never quite sure where the thing went in the bolt

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #2

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Happened on my mossberg after I disassembled it, turns out i I put the magazine follower in funny and had the same problem your experiencing

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 11-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1606 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 8490

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
I disassembled and reassembled my savage 10 bolt for a deep cleaning and now the action is really heavy and, for lack of a better word, chunky.
Now, by virtue of being a savage, it never had the lightest, smoothest action in the world but it seems a lot worse now. I'd estimate the lift weight to be more than 10lbs and I can feel every minute stage of every moving part.
I had a good amount of difficulty with the firing pin spring. Is it possible that I have it set too tight or too loose? Are there any easy fixes for this? I've read a few articles on bolt lift kits using a .38 casing and a ball bearing but I was never quite sure where the thing went in the bolt
Yes, it could be the spring is to tight or loose, maybe even in wrong. I do have to ask, did you wipe all of thr excess oil of of the internals before reassembly? Another possibility is worn internal parts, or a burr on one of the parts. I would say tear the bolt down again, inspect it thoroughly and reassemble it. Also double check to make sure that the end cap of the bolt is fully tightened down. I had a similar problem with my dad's old model 110. All it was was excess oil, and a loose cap.

Best of luck.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 11-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

You must have something bound up inside the bolt. They are pretty simple to take apart and put back together,but it has to be done correctly.
There are plenty of video's on youtube that can show you the proper way to assemble the bolt.

Savage bolts smooth out with age.I have several that can be operated with your thumb.
But I also shoot a lot!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club