Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Saiga 7.62x39 best for my needs? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/saiga-7-62x39-best-my-needs-54574/)

CHLChris 01-01-2012 10:27 PM

Saiga 7.62x39 best for my needs?

I basically want a larger caliber (.30+) home defense long-arm. I already have a scoped AR in 5.56x45mm and a great shotgun.

I've looked at:

Springfield M1A...I just can't afford it right now
M1 Garand...also too expensive, but not as bad as M1A
Lever-action in .357mag or 30-30...lever gun has limited capacity
Mosin of any type...bolt just not fast enough

Then I looked at the Ruger Mini-30 in 7.62x39mm, but opinions of reliability don't inspire confidence.

Last thing is that I really don't want a "tactical"-looking rifle for this one. That's why I've been ignoring the pistol-gripped AK's. What do y'all think of the Saiga rifle for my needs? They can be found for $300 now!!! I don't really care about huge magazines, either. Factory 10-rounders and 20-rounders would be just fine for this need.

Jstrong 01-01-2012 11:02 PM

I have a saiga in x39,love it. You'll be hard pressed to find any AK type rifle with as good of a fit/finish than saigas. They come out of the same plant that produces AK variants for the Russian military. Also if You decide you want to convert it back to the origanally intended AK format then its only about $200 and an hour or two of your time for a really nice AK. I did my conversion by myself and anybody with decent mechanical skills can do it. Ill point you to the information you need to do it if you ever decide too.

Jstrong 01-01-2012 11:03 PM

Also if you have any specific questions about them then ask away ill probably have your answer

trip286 01-01-2012 11:47 PM

Judging by what you've laid out for considerations, it sounds like the saiga is exactly what you need.

Jstrong 01-01-2012 11:58 PM

Also I would reconsider a lever gun on account of the capacity issue, you CANNOT use a high cap magazine in a saiga without being in violation of 922r,any rifle that accepts a high cap magazines must have have a certain number of U.S. made parts and in order for saigas to meet that requirement you would have to do a conversion of some sort,on account of the fact that when imported they are completely foreign rifles. So I would take a second look at a lever gun in .357 since they are often found with 10 round magazine tubes,especially if you see a .357 wheelgun I'm your future.

JonM 01-02-2012 12:32 AM

your goal is home defense .30cal dont do well in that role due to over penetration problems. if your looking at soviet i would consider the 5.45 chambering super cheap surplus and behaviour indoors is similar to the 5.56.

the 7.62x39 and up is going to punch through your walls and the neighbors...

then there is the drum-fed saiga 12. just something to consider

CHLChris 01-02-2012 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstrong (Post 664950)
Also I would reconsider a lever gun on account of the capacity issue, you CANNOT use a high cap magazine in a saiga without being in violation of 922r

Do you mean 30-rounds? I wouldn't really want any more than a 10- or 20-rounder for this rifle. I don't mind buying factory Saiga magazines. There are a couple of compliant aftermarket manufacturers, too. If I felt that 30 rounds were necessary, I'd grab the AR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 664989)
your goal is home defense .30cal dont do well in that role due to over penetration problems.

I'm thinking of those situations where behind the bad guy is just another bad guy. I'm thinking zombie hordes, not a prowler coming through my window. For most situations I'd be sticking to my pump-action shotgun or a handgun. I think it would take rioting in the streets for me to go to this weapon.

Now, overpenetration is a really good reason to keep a lever gun in .357mag at the top of my list. Except Marlin is in hiatus on their 1894 series right now and the Rossi is just not my cup of tea.

Jstrong 01-02-2012 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris

Do you mean 30-rounds? I wouldn't really want any more than a 10- or 20-rounder for this rifle. I don't mind buying factory Saiga magazines. There are a couple of compliant aftermarket manufacturers, too. If I felt that 30 rounds were necessary, I'd grab the AR.

It may be that they consider the 20 Rounders hi-cap,or anything larger than 10 round mags. As that begins to fall out of the sporting category these saiga rifle fall in. Or it could be that its just the 30 round mags,when I'm next to a PC ill have a look for you to give you a definite answer.

CHLChris 01-02-2012 03:51 AM

I was thinking you had some new legal perspective or something, J. There are no limits about size of magazine for the Saiga or any other rifle, for that matter. I understand that there are certain laws that limit one's options for converting the Saiga. But those laws have nothing to do with magazine size, only the manner in which the magazine interacts with the rifle.

I think a major difference between lever guns and a semi- is the moment of reloading. A lever gun takes a LOOOOOOOOT longer to reload than a magazine-fed semi-automatic.

unclebear 01-02-2012 05:31 AM

They're are worse guns that you could go to, as far as over penetration most guns will go through two or three rooms in your house easily. The 7.62X39 will go through several layers of dry wall like butter, for home defense I would get some soft points for two reason one is they're better for soft targets and two is because with the soft lead tip they might not go through your entire house.

As far as the gun it's self, 30 rounds of 7.62X39, semi auto, reliable, a little long for CQB but over all not a bad gun really. If you had the money I would just try to find an AK47 or even an SKS, but they're are style of shooting you can use to shorten the profile of the gun without having to doing anything to gun itself.