S. Korean M1s a no go
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > S. Korean M1s a no go

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Default S. Korean M1s a no go

According to The Korea Times, the Obama administration has blocked efforts by the South Korean government to sell over a hundred thousand surplus M1 Garand and Carbine rifles into the United States market. These self-loading were rifles introduced in 1926 and 1941. As rifles, they are especially well-suited to community defense in an emergency, as in the cases of community defense following Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Along with AR-15 type rifles, the M1 rifles are the quintessential firearms of responsible citizenship, precisely the type of firearms which civic responsibility organizations such as the Appleseed Project teach people how to use.

According to a South Korean official, “The U.S. insisted that imports of the aging rifles could cause problems such as firearm accidents. It was also worried the weapons could be smuggled to terrorists, gangs or other people with bad intentions.”

The Volokh Conspiracy » Obama bans over 100,000 rifles

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

He would like 100,000 rifles is really gonna make start of a bunch of gun crimes. Lord almighty have mercy some of the excuses they are using now a five year old could combat with common sense. I've not said the about many people, but I'll say it for him. He is so weak.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #3

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

those rifles are probably crap !

Old 08-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

They just know the history of those rifles, kicking Nazzi and Banzai ass and they don't want to end up like their ideological brethren....

9x18=Makarov

Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well 100,000 rifles, theres what, like 300 million people in the country? thats not gonna start much, there is probably alot here already.

anyways if people want to go start trouble its not with some old WWII gun, more like AKs or uzis or something you know?

like someone already said they probably are crap

"It's not how big your stick is, it's how hard you swing it."

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?"

Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 4297

Still, it would have been worth the look and examination of those rifles. You never know how many you can salvage from the lot.

"A total of 86,000 M1 rifles and another 22,000 carbines were to be sold, as the weapons have been mothballed for about five decades in military warehouses. The per-unit price of the M1 rifle is about $220 and the carbine is more than $140, according to the ministry."

M1 Rifle for $220, damn the average price is off the chart for one is good condition!

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 08-18-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #7

Default 2013

Tell the Koreans to keep storing those rifles. By 2013 it will be possible to sell them here.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Could the Koreans add a shade & just sell them as lamps or something, DANG!

My dad would love an M1 carbine.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It doesn't matter what condition they are in any way. The point is that they are stopping the importation of firearms.

orangello: my father as well has been lusting after a carbine for longer than I can remember

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #10

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromSidney View Post
Tell the Koreans to keep storing those rifles. By 2013 it will be possible to sell them here.
I really don't care but, what has Obama done to the firearms in this country now that he is president. He made it legal to carry CCW in National Parks. That whole scare after he was elected was fabricated by a bunch of loser's saying show me the birth certificate. On the website whitehouse.gov he states a mission of stopping the sales of pistol grip rifles and pistol magazines of 10 or less but that is about it. I just don't see the need to be all fearful of losing anything to this president. And anyone that gets to excited has been watching to much Glen Beck, and he makes his money by exciting the masses. It never really matters what the news casters say, they just want you to listen to their drivvel. It's SAD