Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Rust? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/rust-19358/)

Elemental 10-22-2009 11:57 PM

Rust?

This is my first post here, although I've been lurking for quite awhile. I have sort of a general question, but the question came up as I was cleaning a Remington 700 BDL, so I thought this was an appropriate place to post.

I recently came into a number of guns that belonged to my dad. He always took reasonably good care of his guns, but as he got up in years, I think they began to suffer from neglect. Basically, the guns sat around in zippered carrying cases. They didn't get used much. Well, as I begin to get them out and clean them up, I'm noticing that I seem to be getting what looks like rust off the exterior surfaces of the barrels.

Generally, I'll spray the barrel/receiver, etc down with Break-Free CLP and let it soak for a few hours and then wipe it down with a clean cloth. On this 700 I'm working on, no matter how many times I go over it, I'm still picking up what looks like rust on the cloth. The thing is, I can't SEE any rust. The surfaces look fine and feel nice and smooth to the touch.

So, is this actually rust I'm seeing? Is this something I should be worried about? How do I get rid of it?

c3shooter 10-23-2009 10:51 AM

Well, first of all- BLUING is a form of controlled rusting- it is black iron oxide (instead of the red iron oxide that is rust)

Next, get the guns out of the zippered cases. Especially the ones with the fuzzy bunny type lining. They tend to attract moisture.

Breakfree CLP is good stuff. I use it on coarse cotton cloth to clean up older guns. SOME of what you see may be rust. some discoloration of the cloth from the CLP.

Beware being too aggressive- bluing is a very thin layer, and you can strip it away by going after rust with an abrasive- and even rust itself on a cloth is mildly abrasive.

Other than changing how you store the guns, I think you are on the right track. Good luck.

Elemental 10-23-2009 06:11 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think I got most of it just using a cotton cloth and repeated applications of Break Free. And I went out and got a steel gun cabinet today, so now all of the guns are out of the zippered cases.

stalkingbear 10-23-2009 06:29 PM

If you think the surface is rusty you should spray that break free onto 0000 steel wool and rub it down good. That will remove mild rust but not harm any new bluing area that wasn't already screwed up.

Elemental 10-23-2009 07:49 PM

Thanks, I'll give the steel wool a try as well.

Dcomf 10-23-2009 08:01 PM

Consider using Blue Wonder cleaner and steel wool following the directions given on the product. I haven't seen anything remove rust quicker and as thoroughly. If you thought your guns were rust free then try this and see how much comes off.

Elemental 10-23-2009 08:07 PM

Is Blue Wonder a firearms-specific product? In other words, where can I get it?

Dcomf 10-23-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elemental (Post 177074)
Is Blue Wonder a firearms-specific product? In other words, where can I get it?

Yes it was designed for firearms and the like. Try the shelf of a local gun store or google it to find online dealers. All the big name places will have it.