Russian SVT 40 gas adjustment help

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Russian SVT 40 gas adjustment help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Russian SVT 40 gas adjustment help

Is anyone familiar with the gas settings on the SVT40? It's a 5 sided bolt (which I have the special wrench for) but the previous owner used something (channel locks I presume) and scratched all the numbers off. I can make out a "2" but that's it. I've read different places that the "5" is the high setting or larger port, and others say that "1" is high. I'm running surplus Bulgarian ammo through it now and have it set on 3 which usually ejects the casings about 4-6 feet away from where I'm shooting from. Does that sound normal? Function and feed are fine I just don't want to be putting any undue stress on the receiver. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 14

These are the numbers on the gas regulators. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.5 and
1.7. The higher the number thee more gas. If you see a 5 I assume it's on 1.5. I normally run mine on 1.3 but it's dependent on the mil surp ammo you are using. 5-6 feet ejection sounds about right. Mine ejects slightly further. I use Czech Silvertip.