Russian Mosin-Nagant M91/30 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Russian Mosin-Nagant M91/30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder77
I also have 1934 hex Izzy
What is an Izzy? I have never heard of such a thing.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #22

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 503

Izzy is short/slang for Izshevsk (early markings would be a bow and arrow. Late markings would be an arrow in a triangle. Tula would have a star with an arrow in the middle).

Old 11-28-2012, 02:20 AM   #23

Liked 57 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Dont be in a hurry to modiy it. Learn to love it or what it is, then if you want to Bubba it, do it without doing anything that can't be reversed. Here is mine with about $300 into it and it still ia probably not worth any more than you spent on yours.

mosin-s.jpg

It now has a non gunsmith scope and a bent bolt that it didnt need but I bought another bolt body and bent it myself

mosin-bent.jpg

I actually cut the bolt handle off and made a new one and welded it back on. It is shaped different than the pic but you get the Idea. I bought an extra rear sight and drilled and pinned a rail to it for the scope. I also made the rail. the whole mount is very solid.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:43 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

these arent going to be collectors like the garand or m1 carbine or 1903. the stocks are generally just this side of dry rot in almost all the samples ive seen. i think the only thing holding them together is all the cosmoline that has solidified in them and shear russian cussedness. i wouldnt cut the stock up its likely to self destruct not because its got rarity potential.

i turned one pink and it came out pretty well. the photos are floating around in a couple other threads.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-28-2012, 03:08 AM   #25

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
I completely restored mine (the best I could in my own). I also shimmed and polished the trigger. I hear they're sighted in with the bayonet and you will get better accuracy firing it with the bayonet attached. You can get one for 10 bucks, but it isn't going to have the matching serial numbers.

The really cool thing, is you can use bing to look up all the markings on your rifle and figure out its life story.

Mine was built in Russia in 1940, as a training rifle, then got used in ww2, where the stock was damaged from God knows what, then sent to another Eastern European country to get fixed, sent back to battle, where it was probably captured and cosmolined up. You can learn all that by the markings stamped in the stock and receiver.

Cool little rifles!!!
Training? Russian conscript training in 1940 basically consisted of; "put bullets here, point there, pull trigger, find more bullets and do again."

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #26

Liked 2502 Times on 1627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Training? Russian conscript training in 1940 basically consisted of; "put bullets here, point there, pull trigger, find more bullets and do again."
Lmao. Don't forget "don't get shot or your buddy that has been following you will get your gun"

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 11-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #27

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1

Lmao. Don't forget "don't get shot or your buddy that has been following you will get your gun"
And your one stripper clip of spare ammo........IF you haven't already used it that is.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #28

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

If you want to know more about you new gun check out this link.
http://7.62x54r.net/
Just remember that most of the ammo for this rifle is corrosive. It will take a little extra care to clean the corrosive salts from the barrel and metal parts. But it is OK to shoot corrosive ammo it is much cheaper & sometimes more accurate.
Here is a link that shows how to clean after shooting corrosive ammo.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/corrosive/index.asp
If you don't know already it is cheaper to buy this ammo in the bulk spam cans & here is a link that is about the lowest price I know of.
http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/440-rd-can-762x54r-russian-1946-53-148-grain-light-ball-lead-core-magnetic-fmj-ammo

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Jpyle Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #29

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Thanks for all the info. I have dealt with corrosive ammo before so I ain't scared of it. I've already got a couple boxes and shot a little through it. I clean my guns religiously no matter what and I have a touch of ocd so that helps.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #30

Liked 1559 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
these arent going to be collectors like the garand or m1 carbine or 1903. the stocks are generally just this side of dry rot in almost all the samples ive seen. i think the only thing holding them together is all the cosmoline that has solidified in them and shear russian cussedness. i wouldnt cut the stock up its likely to self destruct not because its got rarity potential.

i turned one pink and it came out pretty well. the photos are floating around in a couple other threads.
I have over 40 of the things, dated from 1895 to 1955 and I have not had a "dry rotted" stock yet.