Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rumors about Remington quality

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 02:01 AM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,179
Liked 20864 Times on 11858 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
If this is true about what MSNBC did, then it truly did a dis-service to Remington and not telling the (whole) truth.
And I do take back what I said. I do own a Remington. A 870 Xpress 20ga w/Laminate Stock. Stiff on the pump, but a very good gun. Totally forgot about it.
Del
most all of the Remington M700's tested that there were complaints about faulty triggers causing accidental deaths could not be duplicated. MSNBC didn't report that fact. the few that did have cases of accidental discharges were due to IMPROPERLY adjusted triggers that were unsafe, MSNBC didn't report that either. the military and LE agencies are still using the M700 platform for sniper rifles and issued instructions that triggers were to only be adjusted by trained armorers. MSNBC didn't report that either. MSNBC's own expert even went as far as to say that improper cleaning and maintenance were probably the problem and not the trigger design itself. MSNBC didn't report that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
First off PURE LIBERAL ANTIGUN BS. I say take that crap over to the Obama forum where it belongs. There is not a damn thing wrong with the old Remington trigger. Except Idiots that can't follow simple directions on how to adjust a trigger and more idiots that don't know how to clean or maintain their guns. I have 20 year old factory Remington triggers That I have worked over and adjusted to less than 1# never once have they ever gone off without me or someone else pulling the trigger. Oh any yes they did a recall and if you have an older remington you can send it in to get the x-mark pro trigger.

Another point if you are loading or unloading or doing anything that requires you to operate the bolt on a gun WHY THE FRACK WAS it POINTED AT ANOTHER PERSON? That is just a failure of basic gun handling skills.

Though I will say I had a buddy that almost lost a jewell trigger. He sent his 700 back with a Jewell trigger and Remington replaced it with a crappy x-mark pro trigger and you get charged $200 for that. It took him threatening legal action to get his Jewell trigger back. So if you change the trigger on your 700 KEEP the old one so you can send it back with it in it.
Ruger does the same thing if you have an aftermarket trigger and send it in. they replace it with a factory one due to liability reasons.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
To the victor, go the spoils of war.
Axxe55 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,179
Liked 20864 Times on 11858 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Do you want me to post the email correspondence from when I had a problems with my new rifle?
that's purely up to you partner. i'll stand on my first post on this thread. and the others i have made as well.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
To the victor, go the spoils of war.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:57 AM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post

If this is true about what MSNBC did, then it truly did a dis-service to Remington and not telling the (whole) truth.
And I do take back what I said. I do own a Remington. A 870 Xpress 20ga w/Laminate Stock. Stiff on the pump, but a very good gun. Totally forgot about it.
Del
Never expect media to give anything gun related a fair shake.

Remington COULD have made the mechanism easier to clean, maybe, I haven't seen it myself in person though so I don't know.

It was admitted by someone, somewhere, related to the story, that a more clear owner's manual might could have made a difference. I don't think I need an owner's manual to tell me not to leave my rifle laying around outside in the rain though.
__________________
trip286 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:36 AM   #34
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,179
Liked 20864 Times on 11858 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Never expect media to give anything gun related a fair shake.

Remington COULD have made the mechanism easier to clean, maybe, I haven't seen it myself in person though so I don't know.

It was admitted by someone, somewhere, related to the story, that a more clear owner's manual might could have made a difference. I don't think I need an owner's manual to tell me not to leave my rifle laying around outside in the rain though.
actually the owners manual goes through very detailed instructions on cleaning the rifle bore, the bolt assembly and the trigger assembly. even tells when to do so invery clear instructions.

and as the owner of several M700's currently and many in he past, the trigger assembley is not that hard to clean. simply remove the barreled action from the stock and hose it off with whatever solvent suits you then lightly oil it. i have used compressed air on really filthy ones as well.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
To the victor, go the spoils of war.
Axxe55 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rockratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,790
Liked 1679 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

Default

MSNBC???? Woo boy!!!! So I guess if they tell you Ruger, Browning or Savage is unsafe you wont buy one of them either??????Can't believe we would even go there on this forum!!!! That would be like getting car fax from the EPA. All I can say if they say it's bad I gotta have one!!!!!

I will add some of the rifles I have looked at lately I would have to wonder about the quality but not just from Remington from about all of them. As someone already stated they don't build them like they use to.

I did buy a 1911 R1S last year and other than an FTE on the second round thru the gun it has never missed a beat after approximately 500 rounds. It was never cleaned or oiled before I shot it so that would more than likely explain the failure.

__________________
rockratt is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,816
Liked 1486 Times on 1005 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
actually the owners manual goes through very detailed instructions on cleaning the rifle bore, the bolt assembly and the trigger assembly. even tells when to do so invery clear instructions.

and as the owner of several M700's currently and many in he past, the trigger assembley is not that hard to clean. simply remove the barreled action from the stock and hose it off with whatever solvent suits you then lightly oil it. i have used compressed air on really filthy ones as well.

Moreover the way that any bolt action is designed it takes quite a bit of neglect for the trigger assembly to get trash in it. It's not like anyone can cycle the bolt fast enough to allow gasses from firing the weapon on the trigger assembly.
__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 507
Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

Of all the complaints about Remington I have never seen any issues with their trigger, and my whole family has used Remingtons for four generations now. I don't put much stock in the trigger issue, but I will say the other QC issues are more then internet rumor.

__________________
Apex-Predator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bamashooter68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: cullman,alabama
Posts: 597
Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
We hear it all the time here. One company sucks. End of converstation.
Here is the perfect example.

"The reason Marlin has sold so many more than Ruger is because they are cheap guns. Honestly, the only gun worse than a model 60 is the 702 Plinkster. If you think a 10/22 wont shoot well out of the box you haven't shot a 10/22 or you cant shoot. I would put either one of my 10/22's up against a stock Marlin 60."


This is from someone that most likely has never touched a Marlin, Ruger either. That is what he says about people that may dislike the Ruger, but this being the web, do a search on the best plinker, it will come up! If only his post shows, it must be gospel. The Net is full of crap. You really need to slog through the crap to get to the truth. Most people don't care, they want an instant answer.

So I guess calling a cheap gun cheap leads to crap like this. I guess I pissed the wrong fanboy off. You'll show me huh? BTW I own Marlin's and Rugers. My post's aren't nowhere close to gospel and if anyone is full of crap its you.
__________________
bamashooter68 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rockratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,790
Liked 1679 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

Default

Had a feeling this is where this thread would go!! I made no bake cookies this morning. Anybody want some???

__________________
rockratt is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #40
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,179
Liked 20864 Times on 11858 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockratt View Post
MSNBC???? Woo boy!!!! So I guess if they tell you Ruger, Browning or Savage is unsafe you wont buy one of them either??????Can't believe we would even go there on this forum!!!! That would be like getting car fax from the EPA. All I can say if they say it's bad I gotta have one!!!!!

I will add some of the rifles I have looked at lately I would have to wonder about the quality but not just from Remington from about all of them. As someone already stated they don't build them like they use to.

I did buy a 1911 R1S last year and other than an FTE on the second round thru the gun it has never missed a beat after approximately 500 rounds. It was never cleaned or oiled before I shot it so that would more than likely explain the failure.
MSNBC got wind of a story because some people had filed lawsuits against Remingon in civil court over accidental deaths from their rifles. their claims were the triggers were defective. this was proven to be false in most all cases, and the ones that did accidently fire upon the bolt being closed were also found to have been improperly adjusted so they were unsafe. if the person that owns the firearm adjusts it improperly because he lacks the knowledge to di it properly, that is not the fault of the gunmaker IMO. but MSNBC didn't report that part of the story. they wanted villify Remington and make an impassioned plea that they were at fault, when they weren't. they failed big time in not providing the full story and the facts and they got caught big time over it. they lost a lot of credibility over that story when the real truth and the facts were presented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Moreover the way that any bolt action is designed it takes quite a bit of neglect for the trigger assembly to get trash in it. It's not like anyone can cycle the bolt fast enough to allow gasses from firing the weapon on the trigger assembly.
that's true, but they can still get dirt and gunk in them. i have seen many older used ones that i have bought that had so much gunk and crud in them to almost be inoperable and also unsafe. but a good cleaning restored them to proper working order. it comes down to proper cleaning and maintenance. so IMO, there is no excuse to make up for an improperly working firearm, when it has been neglected. no different than expecting a vehicle to last for many years, when the oil hasn't been changed or it's been properly maintained.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
To the victor, go the spoils of war.
Axxe55 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Quality losack General Handgun Discussion 10 06-03-2012 10:49 PM
ma castle doctrine rumors mountainman13 Legal and Activism 0 04-18-2012 02:21 PM
Gun Quality Ramlatus General Handgun Discussion 27 04-07-2012 09:28 PM
Remington quality? MAX4utah General Rifle Discussion 22 10-27-2011 03:42 AM
Unfounded bashing & rumors NGIB General Handgun Discussion 11 10-08-2009 08:46 PM