Rumors about Remington quality - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rumors about Remington quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
We hear it all the time here. One company sucks. End of converstation.
Here is the perfect example.

"The reason Marlin has sold so many more than Ruger is because they are cheap guns. Honestly, the only gun worse than a model 60 is the 702 Plinkster. If you think a 10/22 wont shoot well out of the box you haven't shot a 10/22 or you cant shoot. I would put either one of my 10/22's up against a stock Marlin 60."

This is from someone that most likely has never touched a Marlin, Ruger either. That is what he says about people that may dislike the Ruger, but this being the web, do a search on the best plinker, it will come up! If only his post shows, it must be gospel. The Net is full of crap. You really need to slog through the crap to get to the truth. Most people don't care, they want an instant answer.
I dont need to "slog through the crap to get to the truth" I'm the one that has to ship them back. The truth is on a shelf in the back, waiting for return codes.....

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 07-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #22

I will say, we sell a good number of Marlins, and they almost never come back. So not sure about that....

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Some where I have read that all the current 870 combos are coming out of Mexico. I had heard that the non combo stuff was made here in the US . Like I said word of mouth so I dont know how much of that is true , but big companies like Remington are looking for cheaper labor so there going to other places . I have nothing against Unions but the union labor rates are killing some businesses,
The NEF Pardner is an 870 knockoff/clone. They are made in Mexico, and China. All the Rems are still made in USA. We get the NEFs in once in a while, they sell quick for $149.99.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #24

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
The Freedom Group bastardized Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster, DPMS, and other Gun Manufacturers for a Buck to their Stockholders.
Also if you have an older Rem 700 Action Rifle, there was/is, many injurys and some deaths associated with the Trigger Action/Safety being unreliable and Remington NEVER did any recalls on it to make it safe(er). The Rifle would fire(while on safe) when chambering a Round. Yes, Remington did put in some cheap, sort of slide block on the new Models, but just think about how many Millions of the older Models are still out there, and the Owners might not know. There was even a MSNBC show about it.

Can't say I'll never own a Remington, but for now I don't own any.
Del
What MSNBC DIDN'T tell you (really? You're getting your gun news from one of the most anti gun outlets there is?) Is that so far, every negligent death, and every claim of malfunction, attributed to that trigger design has been linked back to poor or NO regular cleaning/maintenance, or shade tree gunsmithing. The one lady who killed her son (the big incident that broke the "story") admitted to leaving her rifle outside for days at a time, in the weather, and when it was inspected by a third party armorer, there was so much rust and "gunk" buildup in the trigger mechanism, that there was no way it every could have been expected to work properly. I believe Remington paid her some "shut the fu#k up" money.

I'm not defending Remington. I have no Remington guns in the home, and don't intend to buy any. I just don't see anything in their product line up that I want. I've only shot one 700, and it was so extensively customized it was called the M40A3. I just don't like seeing misinformation flying around. It's unfair to everyone from the company to the consumer.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #25

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well, until i see some credible facts or evidence that supports these type of statements made about Remington or Marlin, i won't put much stock into them. but what the hey, if it was on the internet, it's got to be true!
These are more then internet rumors to me, it has cost me a considerable amount of money, while I got out of the CDL clean I took a hit on the others. I have owned more rifle then I care to count and have never seen as many issues as I have with Remington in recent years. In contrast I have owned half a dozen Savages three of them newer production and aside from a warped stock (easy fix) I have no complaints. For what a new BDL costs I could buy a new Model 70, and as much as it pains me to say that is no longer a contest. 20 years ago I would rather have eaten shards of broken glass then say that, but it is now a grim reality.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 AM   #26

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

I bought a brand new 870 express back in march. The only problem I have had with mine is that it does like to eject a certain brand of ammo. Other than that I have no complaints.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #27

Liked 706 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I've only got a few Remington rifles. All 700's. no reason really. For rifles I just like Ruger and Savage personally. I've never had a single issue with the 700's though.
On the shot gun side though, they're great. I've got all Browning's for trap and skeet but for field guns, it's mostly Remington an never had a problem. My favorite is an 870 I got at graduation (1993).
I've shot deer, turkey, squirrel, duck, geese, rabbit, and a multitude of varmints and miss trained/wild cats and dogs. Shot trap and skeet with it also. I'd be shocked if I have less than 3000 rounds through it. Al I've done is clean it.
If they make their rifles like their shotguns, my kids will be able to look forward to four 700's when the day comes that my brittle thread is severed.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

People Like This 
Old 07-30-2013, 01:48 AM   #28

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
What MSNBC DIDN'T tell you (really? You're getting your gun news from one of the most anti gun outlets there is?) Is that so far, every negligent death, and every claim of malfunction, attributed to that trigger design has been linked back to poor or NO regular cleaning/maintenance, or shade tree gunsmithing. The one lady who killed her son (the big incident that broke the "story") admitted to leaving her rifle outside for days at a time, in the weather, and when it was inspected by a third party armorer, there was so much rust and "gunk" buildup in the trigger mechanism, that there was no way it every could have been expected to work properly. I believe Remington paid her some "shut the fu#k up" money.

I'm not defending Remington. I have no Remington guns in the home, and don't intend to buy any. I just don't see anything in their product line up that I want. I've only shot one 700, and it was so extensively customized it was called the M40A3. I just don't like seeing misinformation flying around. It's unfair to everyone from the company to the consumer.
If this is true about what MSNBC did, then it truly did a dis-service to Remington and not telling the (whole) truth.
And I do take back what I said. I do own a Remington. A 870 Xpress 20ga w/Laminate Stock. Stiff on the pump, but a very good gun. Totally forgot about it.
Del

Old 07-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #29

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Also if you have an older Rem 700 Action Rifle, there was/is, many injuries and some deaths associated with the Trigger Action/Safety being unreliable and Remington NEVER did any recalls on it to make it safe(er).
First off PURE LIBERAL ANTIGUN BS. I say take that crap over to the Obama forum where it belongs. There is not a damn thing wrong with the old Remington trigger. Except Idiots that can't follow simple directions on how to adjust a trigger and more idiots that don't know how to clean or maintain their guns. I have 20 year old factory Remington triggers That I have worked over and adjusted to less than 1# never once have they ever gone off without me or someone else pulling the trigger. Oh any yes they did a recall and if you have an older remington you can send it in to get the x-mark pro trigger.

Another point if you are loading or unloading or doing anything that requires you to operate the bolt on a gun WHY THE FRACK WAS it POINTED AT ANOTHER PERSON? That is just a failure of basic gun handling skills.

Though I will say I had a buddy that almost lost a jewell trigger. He sent his 700 back with a Jewell trigger and Remington replaced it with a crappy x-mark pro trigger and you get charged $200 for that. It took him threatening legal action to get his Jewell trigger back. So if you change the trigger on your 700 KEEP the old one so you can send it back with it in it.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1520 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well this is my last post on this thread and am really fed up with all the internet rumours and myths about Remington and Marlin. funny thing, i was just last Saturday looking at new Remingtons, Marlins, Mossbergs and Rugers at my LGS, and i saw none of these problems again that people keep talking about.

truth is, none of the gun makers are making guns like they did 30, or 40, or 50, years ago. none of them! not just Remington or Marlin. i have bought Remington and Marlins since the buyout by the Freedom Group and none of mine have these problems. i have friens that have bought them since then and they don't have these problems everyone keeps talking about. well i guess i'm just one of the lucky ones!

well, until i see some credible facts or evidence that supports these type of statements made about Remington or Marlin, i won't put much stock into them. but what the hey, if it was on the internet, it's got to be true!
Do you want me to post the email correspondence from when I had a problems with my new rifle?

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato