Rumors about Remington quality - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Rumors about Remington quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
The issues i have seen have been with the 870. Probably 15 this year have come back to the shop with quality issues. I know that, because i work there part time, and they pile up the QC returns until i am in, and i get to deal with the vendors. Issues have been mostly FTF/FTE. I had 2 that were rough to cycle, they were full of metal shavings. Had one with a loose sight rail, and one with a minor cosmetic issue. If you have an older 870 KEEP IT.... They dont makem like that any more,,,,,
Some where I have read that all the current 870 combos are coming out of Mexico. I had heard that the non combo stuff was made here in the US . Like I said word of mouth so I dont know how much of that is true , but big companies like Remington are looking for cheaper labor so there going to other places . I have nothing against Unions but the union labor rates are killing some businesses,

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 07-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #12

Liked 227 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

As a long time Remington fan let me say there is some truth to the rumors, Remington sold out in 2007 and their QC went downhill rather quickly. I still love an 870 or 700 but I won't touch another new one on a bet. Many other oldshool Remington fans have told me the same thing, the production quality is nowhere near as good.
Here are some of my bad experiences with the new Remington, a 700 CDL 7mm Rem Mag that simply would not chamber a round at all, factory said that they fixed the problem but it still would not chamber new factory ammo. An R1 1911 that would not cycle with any ammo even after a factory rebuild. An ADL that was rusting so bad that even with regular cleaning and oiling was nearly unusable within six months. And a 308 SPS Tactical that had to be drop fed because it would not pick up the next round from the magazine, poor accuracy too.
If you read the recent accuracy comparison in shooting times Remington came in dead last (by alot) avaraging 2.33" groups with three rifles (700 BDLs) that is a long way down from the "most accurate out of the box rifle" that they used to be. I would much rather have a 1980s model 700 or 870 then a brand new one. Marlin has suffered too, talk to any hardcore 336 fan and they will tell you that a new 336 is piss poor compared to the pre CCM ones, the X7 is still a good buy thanks to it's accuracy but the blueing/steel is below par.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #13

Liked 79 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 41

My problem with remington is less about quality and more about politics. In that they sold out to new york and the gun control community. And that may be part of why people seem to be disinfranchised with remington as a company

Last edited by kiabe1; 07-29-2013 at 04:54 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

well this is my last post on this thread and am really fed up with all the internet rumours and myths about Remington and Marlin. funny thing, i was just last Saturday looking at new Remingtons, Marlins, Mossbergs and Rugers at my LGS, and i saw none of these problems again that people keep talking about.

truth is, none of the gun makers are making guns like they did 30, or 40, or 50, years ago. none of them! not just Remington or Marlin. i have bought Remington and Marlins since the buyout by the Freedom Group and none of mine have these problems. i have friens that have bought them since then and they don't have these problems everyone keeps talking about. well i guess i'm just one of the lucky ones!

well, until i see some credible facts or evidence that supports these type of statements made about Remington or Marlin, i won't put much stock into them. but what the hey, if it was on the internet, it's got to be true!
People Like This 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #15

Liked 843 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
remington is a doomed company unless they move to a right to work state with lower taxes. simple as that. their products will continue to decline with fewer and fewer quality offerings until they are closing the doors and shuttering the lights.
Well they could always follow Ruger into the Carolinas... that is, if their Overlord owners allow them to. I for one would hate (and I don't use that word often) to see the brand go under. It would be a sad day for firearm culture, American manufacturing and a cornerstone of our history.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #16

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post
Well they could always follow Ruger into the Carolinas... that is, if their Overlord owners allow them to. I for one would hate (and I don't use that word often) to see the brand go under. It would be a sad day for firearm culture, American manufacturing and a cornerstone of our history.
This is only a few weeks old! About Ruger.
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130711/OPINION01/130719911
Old 07-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #17

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

We hear it all the time here. One company sucks. End of converstation.
Here is the perfect example.

"The reason Marlin has sold so many more than Ruger is because they are cheap guns. Honestly, the only gun worse than a model 60 is the 702 Plinkster. If you think a 10/22 wont shoot well out of the box you haven't shot a 10/22 or you cant shoot. I would put either one of my 10/22's up against a stock Marlin 60."

This is from someone that most likely has never touched a Marlin, Ruger either. That is what he says about people that may dislike the Ruger, but this being the web, do a search on the best plinker, it will come up! If only his post shows, it must be gospel. The Net is full of crap. You really need to slog through the crap to get to the truth. Most people don't care, they want an instant answer.
People Like This 
Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #18

Liked 843 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
This is only a few weeks old! About Ruger.
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130711/OPINION01/130719911
...As the guy says on the AT&T commercial to the kids "Exactly!"...
NOW... If you'll excuse me, I have to make a big "WELCOME" banner and wait at the border.
People Like This 
Old 07-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #19

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
until i see some credible facts or evidence that supports these type of statements made about Remington or Marlin, i won't put much stock into them. but what the hey, if it was on the internet, it's got to be true!
So, obviously one FIRST HAND account of serious problems after another isn't credible so what do you want? A notarized letter from the CEO of Remington saying "Our QC has tanked. You shouldn't buy our guns anymore."? Good luck with that.

If you're happy with your new Remingtons and Marlins, that's great. For me, I have to believe where there's smoke, there's fire and with all the other choices available today, I chose not to take a chance on a Remlin product.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #20

Liked 109 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 55

The Freedom Group bastardized Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster, DPMS, and other Gun Manufacturers for a Buck to their Stockholders.
Also if you have an older Rem 700 Action Rifle, there was/is, many injurys and some deaths associated with the Trigger Action/Safety being unreliable and Remington NEVER did any recalls on it to make it safe(er). The Rifle would fire(while on safe) when chambering a Round. Yes, Remington did put in some cheap, sort of slide block on the new Models, but just think about how many Millions of the older Models are still out there, and the Owners might not know. There was even a MSNBC show about it.

Can't say I'll never own a Remington, but for now I don't own any.
Del