Ruger Scout Rifle.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger Scout Rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 125 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Default Ruger Scout Rifle.

So, with all the hype over a coming semi-auto ban it seems that they've been selling like hot cakes but having owned many of them over the years I'm simply not all that interested in these sub-caliber rifles. I'd much rather have something like a Ruger Scout Rifle in a full rifle caliber. Problem is that I'm getting bursitis in my shoulders and can't take the recoil of a full power rifle cartridge, even the .308Win, anymore. Does anyone know if Ruger has plans on bring their Scout Rifle out in .243Win or .260Rem in the near future?

This is the War Room!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

since your in a suppressor friendly state i would strongly recommend looking at getting a 308 bolt gun and adding a suppressor to it. it practically eliminates 90% of the recoil and most of the sound. its like firing a .223 semi-auto. supressors are much better at taming recoil than muzzle brakes.

my wife shoots a savage 10 fcp-sr with a supressor and she handles it just fine. my 11 year old nephew was able to shoot it like a pro without any trouble

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #3

Not really interested in jumping through all the hoops, paying a tax or being placed on a Federal List that says I have anything that falls under the NFA.
Also, being unemployed I won't be able to buy anything until we get our tax return money back early next year.
I really think a Ruger Scout Rifle in .234Win would be awesome. Ruger can use the same action and bolt, just have to put a different barrel on the gun and they'd have it. Same for the .260 Remington, which I've read actually shoots flatter then a .300Win Mag over 800 or so yards.

This is the War Room!"

Old 12-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

well if you got a social security number your already on a government list. and since your on a computer on a gun website your on em too. espcially if you have ever visited info wars. you may even be on a terrorist watch list for going to that site heh

your not going to see any great decrease in recoil unless you go to a intermediate cartridge like a 223. the diff tween a 234 and a 308 is minor.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #5

I've shot both over the years and the 243 has a lot less recoil then the 308. Heck, "back in the day" in '89 when I worked for McMilian Arms helping to build the M-88's in 50BMG I got to shoot them a lot so recoil didn't use to be a problem for me at all. It's just that some 23 years later my shoulders just can't take what they use to. .243Win will still have enough reach without the recoil.

This is the War Room!"

Old 12-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 587

You can get the Ruger 77 Compact in 243. It does not have the scout stuff on it but it has the short barrel, is lighter and cheaper.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5704 Times on 3225 Posts
Likes Given: 5128

IMHO, the whole "scout rifle" concept is as goofy as it's founbder.

Another solution looking for a problem.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #8

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

You can (or could) get the German scout rifle in .243. Savage's in 7.62x39. The BLR, for sure (ooo, a .243 take-down'd be nice in stainless laminate with the scout mount).

I wonder if Ruger is selling the Scout Rifle in the numbers they'd hoped. When you see it in other calbers, especially the .243 which would be the next natural chambering I'd think, you'll know.

Now, being unemployed, just as I'm cautious, do you NEED this new rifle when your tax refund comes or is it a bit of a luxury at the moment, if you don't mind my asking?

browning-blr-stainless-laminate-takedown-scout.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 12-24-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Now, being unemployed, just as I'm cautious, do you NEED this new rifle when your tax refund comes or is it a bit of a luxury at the moment, if you don't mind my asking?
I currently only have one gun, my Glock G19. I'd like a long gun of somekind to go with my one and only handgun since a handgun isn't the best weapon to have during a SHTF situation. If the Yugo M24/47 Mausers weren't so dang expensive I could get one on my C&R and cut out the middle man but at close to $300 I could pick up a Savage bolt gun in a more common and less recoiling caliber locally for the same amount of money.
I'd also like to get a Remington 870 20ga shotgun for home defense and hunting use. Of course something like a Ruger 10/22 would be a good, usable little rifle to have too.
I really hope the New Year will bring me a job but since Obama got re-elected I really am not holding out much hope.
My wife as a decent job and all the bills are paid on time and we're caught up on everything. She said that it'd be ok to spend a little of the tax return money on a long gun, I just want to get the most "bang for the buck" and make a logical choice here so as not to waste what little money I'll have to spend.
This is the War Room!"

Old 12-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Ruger American and Marlin X series are both available in 243 and have good ratings. About $310 on line.
I was skeptical about the scout concept so I set us a Mini in the scout configuration. Surprised me. I am using a 2.5x pistol scope and it works much better than I expected.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."