Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Ruger Scout Magazines (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ruger-scout-magazines-101469/)

Vikingdad 12-12-2013 07:52 AM

Ruger Scout Magazines

I am getting very interested in a .308 rifle and given my appreciation for Ruger's products I am seriously considering the Scout. Does the Scout only accept Ruger magazines like the Mini 14/30's, or will it accept M1A/M14 magazines?

CardiacColt68 12-12-2013 10:09 PM

I think it only accepts the Ruger magazines. I've got some of the metal ones and some of the plastic ones. The plastic ones are a lot easier to load. And they seem well built. The magazine prices are the downside to the Scout!

Vikingdad 12-12-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 (Post 1456851)
I think it only accepts the Ruger magazines. I've got some of the metal ones and some of the plastic ones. The plastic ones are a lot easier to load. And they seem well built. The magazine prices are the downside to the Scout!

That is unfortunate. If there is one big complaint I have with Ruger it is the fact that you cannot use common magazines in the guns. It would be awesome is you could use an AR magazine in a Mini 14 or a, M1/M14 mag on the Scout. man, that would be cool!

Too bad there isn't a really good retrofit kit for just that! It does appear as though it can be done but it doesn't work very well?

JTJ 12-12-2013 10:54 PM

Mossberg has introduced the 308 MVP and it takes the M1A mags. I have the 5.56x45 MVP and it takes AR mags. Sub MOA too.

CardiacColt68 12-12-2013 11:31 PM

The Mossberg looks pretty cool. A good option if you're not stuck on Ruger, or if you really need the higher capacity magazines.

Vikingdad 12-13-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1456866)
Mossberg has introduced the 308 MVP and it takes the M1A mags. I have the 5.56x45 MVP and it takes AR mags. Sub MOA too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsEtylhriHA

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 (Post 1456908)
The Mossberg looks pretty cool. A good option if you're not stuck on Ruger, or if you really need the higher capacity magazines.

Agreed! The MVP is definitely a contender. Both configurations are intriguing, I imagine that they are interchangeable on one receiver?

DrFootball 12-15-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad
That is unfortunate. If there is one big complaint I have with Ruger it is the fact that you cannot use common magazines in the guns. It would be awesome is you could use an AR magazine in a Mini 14 or a, M1/M14 mag on the Scout. man, that would be cool! Too bad there isn't a really good retrofit kit for just that! It does appear as though it can be done but it doesn't work very well?

Sadly the Scout mags are Proprietary to the Gun. I'd love one but I hear the trouble folks are having scoping it.
I know the SR rifles do take common mags(the 556 takes AR 15 mags and the new 762 takes AR 10 mags. Or so I hear,...

Vikingdad 12-15-2013 07:31 AM

Well, a friend of mine has loaned me his unfired M1A for awhile, but it is temporary (he has had it for almost 2 years and never fired it:confused:). Only thing I need now is more mags for it.

I still want a bolt action .308 though.

CardiacColt68 12-15-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFootball
Sadly the Scout mags are Proprietary to the Gun. I'd love one but I hear the trouble folks are having scoping it. I know the SR rifles do take common mags(the 556 takes AR 15 mags and the new 762 takes AR 10 mags. Or so I hear,...

What trouble scoping it? It sounds simple if set up as intended. Even has the rail already on. Are they trying to mount conventional scopes?

sandog 12-15-2013 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't heard of any trouble either. The GSR comes with the forward rail and Ruger rings for conventional scope mounting. Wonder what trouble ?