Ruger mini 14 HELP! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger mini 14 HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

definitly there great guns i want a chineese paratrooper model. thems my favorite

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it sounds like the bolt is installed wrong with the cicular guide not meshing in the slot correctly. you can put the bolt together and get it to open and close but with a lot of resistance when the round carrier is misaligned. CD

Old 11-11-2008, 05:02 AM   #23

The mini is working great again! If the weather's good tomorrow I think I'll take it out for a spin; sight it in, etc...

Those SKS Chinese Paratrooper models are sweet, checked them out on google... posted them below for you guys

(Source: www.thedolk.com)

Old 11-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #24

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Now dillinger-we all know all you have to do to get a mini 14 to shoot sub moa is simply install a shilen barrel,adjustable gas block,time/headspace properly,work up a good load,and rebed like I did mine. I don't have ANY problems staying right with ARs. Would be only too happy to prove MY mini does that on range. Of course you are right about out of box minis-especially the older 1s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
No it's not- it's been proven time and again by a lot of people who know the difference. The Mini-14 will NOT give you the performance of an AR or of a true M-14. It's honestly a case closed situation from an accuracy standpoint.

If you want something cheaper, then be prepared to accept less than top shelf performance. There is nothing wrong with that, but just don't kid yourself into thinking you are getting a Ferrari on a Pinto Payment Plan.

JD

Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #25

gentlemen, i shot my first mini-14 about 30 years ago. at the time i thought it was less accurate than the m-16 that i was required to shoot for military qualification. however, the price is much lower, and if you spend a little time and money, you can make it shoot very nicely. i prefer the mini-14 because you can get one made of stainless steel (ss). i need it for antipiracy on the atlantic ocean in a saltwater environment. i do some offshore fishing. in my opinion. ruger has made a very affordable and reliable rifle that has superb capabilities. there are many aftermarket accessories like tapco stocks and magazines that make it very easy to configure to what you want. i own several ruger firearms and i am happy with all of them. jeff.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Old thread I know, but my old 183-series Mini-14 does everything I need it to do. I put a Mo-Rod barrel stabilizer, M14 style flash suppressor and a Ramline composite stock and using the iron sights it will hold 2" groups at 100 yards without any stringing or flyers. For SHTF purposes that's good for me.

jtjmini3.jpg

jtjmini_7.jpg

Oh, I recently added a UTG single-rail barrel mount clamp to hold a bipod or light. Pretty slick set-up.

jtjmini_8.jpg

jtjmini_9.jpg

Last edited by Snakedriver; 09-14-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:54 AM   #27

thank you for your positive input on the mini-14 mr snakedriver. this rifle is all about value for your dollar. it is not the most accurate rifle made. however in my opinion it is a superb rifle for many applications at a modest price. many people have to make the best of what is affordible to them. jeff

Old 09-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #28

If you bought the rifle NIB (new, in box) did it have the instruction booklet with it?
If you still have the instruction booklet, do you feel comfortable with the disassembly and reassembly of the firearm?
To someone who is fairly mechanically inclined, the disassembly of this Garand type action is relatively simple. Barring broken bits and/or pieces, reassembly will probably correct the problem.
If you DON'T feel comfortable with the procedure, by all means, find a gunsmith to do it for you. He can save you lots of pain and misery! Also, for a small, nominal fee, may be willing to instruct YOU in the procedure!

Bubba

Old 09-18-2010, 03:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
^ Ah, some of that is just hype about the black rifle and all it's "flaws". I have been that same sh!t for years, and even believed it for awhile, until I started working in a gun shop. I wouldn't read too much into it unless you personally own one and have had problems.

No question, if price is a concern, the Mini is a cheaper and better alternative for you. But personally, I would steer you towards an SKS instead. The price is comparable, the round is heavier and the weapon will run in worse conditions just because of the way it was built. It's a hell of a lot easier to clean and take care of, but it's not US made, which is a big deal to someone.

As for SHTF - if you want to let someone pose a problem to you at 25-50 yards, that is your choice. I think that most members here would agree that 50 yards is TOO CLOSE in those types of situations.

If the Space Zombies start walking the Earth, my new 7 Mike-Mike is going to be sitting them down 300 & 400 yards from the property.

As long as you know what you are getting, I say go for it. Just don't expect the Mini-14 to shoot the same as your buddies AR or your other buddies M14. They just aren't the same rifle.
Mr Dillinger,

Please read the Army report concerning the battle of the Ia Drang valley where m16`s were laying everywhere and most were jammed. They were laying next to the bodies of dead soldiers. Some squads had only four or five rifles working. They will not work very well in a military role. The Marines had the same problem. I would not own a M16 because of these problems. This is a statement from history and not from me. Some information is contained in the book called "we were soldiers once and young" written by LT. Gen. Harold Moore. I hope I have explained to you my position and reasoning.

patret

Old 09-18-2010, 03:44 AM   #30

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patret View Post
Mr Dillinger,

Please read the Army report concerning the battle of the Ia Drang valley where m16`s were laying everywhere and most were jammed. They were laying next to the bodies of dead soldiers. Some squads had only four or five rifles working. They will not work very well in a military role. The Marines had the same problem. I would not own a M16 because of these problems. This is a statement from history and not from me. Some information is contained in the book called "we were soldiers once and young" written by LT. Gen. Harold Moore. I hope I have explained to you my position and reasoning.

patret
There is a huge difference between the AR-15 rifles of today as compared with the then new M-16 carbine. It just so happens it was issued shortly before the battle in the Ia Drang Valley. There is zero comparison to the new rifle as opposed to the original. Just as the new Mini 14 is way better than the old series. No comparison.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.