Ruger mini 14 HELP! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger mini 14 HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
^ Ah, some of that is just hype about the black rifle and all it's "flaws". I have been that same sh!t for years, and even believed it for awhile, until I started working in a gun shop. I wouldn't read too much into it unless you personally own one and have had problems.
Well it's still a great rifle hands down....I would chose an AR over a Mini any day...but it being cheap makes it much more well cheaper and less damaging on the wallet....hell right now because of the gun scare...they won't let me put an AR on Layaway....the mini they will.

Anyway....I like the AR but I really REALLY want this....trouble is that it could be banned soon....BAH

Quote:
No question, if price is a concern, the Mini is a cheaper and better alternative for you. But personally, I would steer you towards an SKS instead.

Quote:
As for SHTF - if you want to let someone pose a problem to you at 25-50 yards, that is your choice. I think that most members here would agree that 50 yards is TOO CLOSE in those types of situations.
Most SHTF situations will be that close in my eviroment since it's a southern city/suburb....not any big open space areas that often because of development...for cities same concept.

Quote:
As long as you know what you are getting, I say go for it. Just don't expect the Mini-14 to shoot the same as your buddies AR or your other buddies M14. They just aren't the same rifle.
Never said they were but the mini is still a good rifle, after all the mods though I'd be spending the same as the AK I would probably want.....but in 2 months...will they be overpriced? Is the mind set I am thinking right now.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #12

Guys I've shot the mini 14, the AR and the AK; If you want max accuracy and your money is burning a hole in your pocket get an AR, they are by far the most accurate of the three but cost sh!tloads; the mini won't compare at the same distances. If you're deciding between the AK and the mini and the factor is, again, accuracy; get the mini... from my experience the AK holds sh*t towards the mini in terms of acc.
Oh and thanks for all your posts, I resolved the problem now though; I suppose the extractor plunger was stuck, because once I let the bolt fly the extractor slipped over the cartrige again.

Can anyone tell me though if it is normal for the extractor plunger to have an amount of brown residue on it?, I can't tell if its really rust or a special lubricant.

SKS's are sweet; the yugos are pretty much the ugliest rifle ever created , but they are definitly reliable. <--- this is all based on knowledge I've recieved from friends and other forums so please don't hold me accountable if its a load of crap
Another plus is that they're cheap... definitly alot of bang for your buck.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneon77 View Post
Guys I've shot the mini 14, the AR and the AK; If you want max accuracy and your money is burning a hole in your pocket get an AR, they are by far the most accurate of the three but cost sh!tloads; the mini won't compare at the same distances. If you're deciding between the AK and the mini and the factor is, again, accuracy; get the mini... from my experience the AK holds sh*t towards the mini in terms of acc.
Oh and thanks for all your posts, I resolved the problem now though; I suppose the extractor plunger was stuck, because once I let the bolt fly the extractor slipped over the cartrige again.

Can anyone tell me though if it is normal for the extractor plunger to have an amount of brown residue on it?, I can't tell if its really rust or a special lubricant.

SKS's are sweet; the yugos are pretty much the ugliest rifle ever created , but they are definitly reliable. <--- this is all based on knowledge I've recieved from friends and other forums so please don't hold me accountable if its a load of crap
OK, I'm gonna step in it again here.

First off, the brown crud is dried grease/preservative. Use some Kroil (let it soak on), followed by some gunscrubber and you will free it up, most likely.

Secondly, the older Mini14's were famous for crappy accuracy, even though I have a 181 series that came to me well used and still prints 3" at 100. Good enough.

Third, the new Mini14's were completely retooled and have heavier, better barrels. They are great shooters. I have one that shoots under 2" at 100, but a friend has one that will do an inch. He recently showed up at a 3 gun police match, and broke out his Mini14. Got some pretty harsh comments about his "crappy carbine", until he showed everyone what a good shooter with a Mini14 can do. Then they all wanted one. Not bad for a 5.5lb carbine.

Fourth, back in the late 80's I had the good fortune to be allowed to go through 53 boxes and hand pick a Steyr AUG. I picked out the three that had the best test targets, and chose the one with the best trigger. It was awesome. From the bench it shot sub MOA all day. But I got a deal on a bunch of old Belgian 5.56 ammo (crates were marked SS92). It looked great, but I had many, many failures to chamber in the AUG. The ammo was in spec, but the tight, match chamber of the AUG would not take it reliably. But my beat to snot Mini14 gobbled it up with aplomb. So I sold the AUG to Dave's Guns in Denver, kept the Mini14, and never looked back.

If a Mini14 will let me hit a paper plate at 300yds, it is a keeper. Most will do that.

My new stainless Mini14 has an Aimpoint Comp ML3 (2MOA) mounted in a single Ruger 30mm ring. It weighs about 6lbs, and it rocks.

But the SKS is still probably the best "bang for the buck" in a semi auto carbine. And I know one guy who can run his SKS using 10rd stripper clips better than just about anyone with any other carbine and a stack of 30rd mags. But I've seen a few of the Yugos with out of spec bolts (hogged out firing pin holes) that were not reliable. look at the FP holes closely when buying one.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #14
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

It is true a Mini 14 isn't as accurate as a AR 15 or an SKS but they are still a fun little gun to shoot. As long as you don't rapid fire the Mini 14, it has decent accuracy and I have shot several coyotes on the run at 75-100 yrds over the years. Once that little barrel heats up,you can forget about hitting small targets at any range,but larger animals/targets can still be hit and killed with it at decent ranges. I have a 180 series from 1976 and it has always been a good weapon to use out on the ranch to kill coyotes,and I still shoot it regularly along with my AR's and Saiga.

2008_1028ar150069.jpg   2008_1028ar150070.jpg  

Old 11-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #15

See ya they do get heated up but I'm thinking about doing what the guy did in his video.

All of this.

His showing off of it.

Him shooting 20 Round at a 75 yard target

The Target

Old 11-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #16

For Mini questions, you might also register at THE Mini website:
"Perfectunion.com". They also have a few misc. forums for the SKS etc.

They have a full page filled with comments on the eternal (often quite elusive) search for reliable Mini 30 aftermarket mags (i.e. Promag blued 10-rounders), and those for the 14.

Some of those folks are so familiar that maybe they 'sleep with' their Minis, the way many on SKSboards seem to 'schlafen mit' their SKS rifles.
And I see nothing wrong with that, or with a MN 44 (if the bayonet is folded). A buddy (Mario) from East Germany said that his father wanted to sleep with his Mauser K 98 after his first introduction to it.

Last edited by Laufer; 11-10-2008 at 07:03 AM.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:57 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
Ok 25-50 Yards. How does it perform?
the way it sounds, it doesnt perform

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-10-2008, 07:07 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

glock uses a dry lube which is a rust color, so they might of put to much on.
however u should always clean your gun before firing. store bought or not

Wars begin where u will

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

Old 11-10-2008, 07:10 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

if yopur going for most bang for your buck go with the ak. you can put them through the worst and still perform, maybe that is why most of our enemies use them

Wars begin where u will

Old 11-10-2008, 07:52 AM   #20

It performs good enough for me to own one at least some day at least, unless I'm so happy with my hopefully mine in the future Bushmaster ACR.