Ruger mini 14 HELP!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger mini 14 HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger mini 14 HELP!

I bought a brand new ruger mini 14 a while back and wanted to take it out in the next couple days to sight it in and have some fun... I'm new to owning a rifle so I have no idea what happened but for some reason the extractor spring slipped and shoved the extractor closed... hence the bolt opening is now to small for the back end of the round and the firing pin can't reach the primer nor does the round extract right when I pull back the bolt. Adding to that, the bolt sounds funny and is harder to move when I pull it back or lock it in place.

Can anyone tell me how or if I can fix it by myself?!?! I would send it in to ruger but it seems like they take ages to return the rifle and I just wanted to know if I can fix it myself....
Maybe I'm just stupid and I messed something up while cleaning it... please help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I don't know much about the mini-14 other than they are very inaccurate. It sounds to me like there is more wrong in that bolt than just the extractor. I would head to the nearest gunsmith.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:40 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How new is your Ruger mini 14? Still under warranty?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #4

Well I just bought it about a week ago so there must still be warranty on it... I also noticed today that the bolt is extremely hard to take out, possibly because of the faulty extractor.
It worked fine though until I cleaned it, so I guessed that it might have been something I did; I never dropped it or banged it somewhere, that's why I'm so confused

Old 11-09-2008, 01:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I don't know much about the mini-14 other than they are very inaccurate. It sounds to me like there is more wrong in that bolt than just the extractor. I would head to the nearest gunsmith.
That's under speculation.

It's a pretty cheap form of .223 and it's a good little rifle in it's own right.

I'm tempted to get this 186 model for 430 and just pay the money to accurize it and it would be cheaper on my end.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:23 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
That's under speculation.
No it's not- it's been proven time and again by a lot of people who know the difference. The Mini-14 will NOT give you the performance of an AR or of a true M-14. It's honestly a case closed situation from an accuracy standpoint.

If you want something cheaper, then be prepared to accept less than top shelf performance. There is nothing wrong with that, but just don't kid yourself into thinking you are getting a Ferrari on a Pinto Payment Plan.

JD

Old 11-09-2008, 02:32 AM   #7

Ok 25-50 Yards. How does it perform?

Old 11-09-2008, 02:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
Ok 25-50 Yards. How does it perform?
"Minute of Bad Guy" all day long and you will never have to worry about the weapon being the problem you missed a shot.

200 yards, which is more than capable for a .223 - you may as well be launching the bullet out of a blow gun or a sling shot.

They can be made to be accurate, but the problem is three fold. 1) a pencil thin barrel. 2) A gas system mount that is light years behind the times. 3) It's op-rod driven, which affects accuracy in many ways, but is more pronounced on a weapon like this that is so light in the front end and not designed around the op-rod principle....

You want a Mini-14? Great. Get one. But don't expect to be posting 2 MOA groups with it, which is a shame since 2 MOA is pretty shoddy for a stock hunting rifle to be honest.

The thing will run all the time for you though, and it will perform hot, cold, raining, snowing, windy or even wet & dirty.... It just won't group extremely well at distance...

Old 11-09-2008, 02:45 AM   #9

But that's the thing. The Mini-14 was not designed to be an accurate rifle. It's the US AK in terms.

A Mini-14 being cheaper and effective at the main bad guy range makes it a winner of a weapon and a cheap solution also and more reliable, not as reliable as an AK though I will say.

I'm thinking about getting that one. I mean 430 compared to 800 bucks for a DPMS that shoots the same round? Hell yes. And I mean I could get a I found a nice little Mini-14 Ruger 186 model I think.

Since an AR is out of my price range for right now, I'd like to have some kind of .223 if 7.62 x 39 mm rounds dry up for my sks.

Is it worthwhile to accurize it? I mean It's only going to be a SHTF weapon. I could give a **** less if it could get a target at 100 Yards since on average confrontations occur from the 25-50 yard way.

I'm thinking about buying a Tapco Stock for it if I buy it an the accustrut thing building it up as I go.

I'm also looking for an AK but the thing is, if I do it from my gun store locally where they have this thing I can put 1/3rd down on layaway and pay payments on it every week or so....like 50 bucks each pay check.

So you figure probably in about 2 months I'll have the gun out the door.

Thing is....I'm trying to think.....I might want to wait and just save all my money and just buy an AK in 2 months if they aren't gone by then I mean.

I might go the AK route and just buy a stripped lower for an AR just so I have a .223 'gun' before a supposed ban if there is one.

I don't know...tough decision.

I don't doubt the AR is the better weapon, but an AR you have to keep good upkeep on the thing ALOT more than other rifles, of course putting an O ring on decreases that severely.

Now the Mini-30 I hear does pretty much better than the 14 though.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:12 AM   #10

^ Ah, some of that is just hype about the black rifle and all it's "flaws". I have been that same sh!t for years, and even believed it for awhile, until I started working in a gun shop. I wouldn't read too much into it unless you personally own one and have had problems.

No question, if price is a concern, the Mini is a cheaper and better alternative for you. But personally, I would steer you towards an SKS instead. The price is comparable, the round is heavier and the weapon will run in worse conditions just because of the way it was built. It's a hell of a lot easier to clean and take care of, but it's not US made, which is a big deal to someone.

As for SHTF - if you want to let someone pose a problem to you at 25-50 yards, that is your choice. I think that most members here would agree that 50 yards is TOO CLOSE in those types of situations.

If the Space Zombies start walking the Earth, my new 7 Mike-Mike is going to be sitting them down 300 & 400 yards from the property.

As long as you know what you are getting, I say go for it. Just don't expect the Mini-14 to shoot the same as your buddies AR or your other buddies M14. They just aren't the same rifle.