Ruger M77II Up Grade?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger M77II Up Grade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Ruger M77II Up Grade?

With a possible fall 2010 trophy elk hunt on the line, time to get myself and my trusty Ruger 7mm mag. into fighting weight and sharpness. Will be in an area with no moterized vehicle access, so would like to lighten up and get the Ruger in the best form possible with my budget ($1,000). Looking at stock, trigger, and optics upgrades. Stock - I am considering the Hogue full lenghth alum. bedding block. Trigger - Timney. That leaves about $600.00 for an scope that is fairly light weight (14 oz. range?) and is of good optic quality and I would like 12 or 14 power max. I already have the 1" and 30 mm rings - Ruger of course. Scope I will use Optics Planet for a source, any suggestions on the best place to purchase the stock and trigger.
Also looking for any alternative suggestions for the up grade with the rifle and budget in mind. It is currently in the factory wood stock. It has been a reliable hunting rifle and would work fine how it is, but I would like to take a old friend and renew the rifle a bit.
Planning on using the new Hornady 162 gr. SST Superformance ammunition.
I have lost about 14 lbs. myself since the new year and am on a 23 mile per week schedule of walking and hunting. If I can not obtain the permit not all will be lost, will have the 7 mag and myself back up to shape for a couple of middle aged dogs.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #2

Liked 327 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 30

For a scope may I suggest the Leupold VX3 4.5-14X40mm. There are several reticles available for this scope, they weigh between 13-15.1 oz.,and it should be within your $600.00 budget. The scope option without the side parallax adjustment weight in at the 13 oz. range and the scope option with the side parallax adjustment weight in at the 15.1 oz range. They are a 30mm tube design.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've done a lot of Elk hunting in Montana over the years, and honestly I think the best scope is a fixed 6-power in a Leupold FX-3. Elk (and mule deer) look pretty large at any shootable range in a 6 power--plus it's lighter, smaller, bigger field of view, and ultimately more reliable with less moving parts than a variable. It's become the only big game scope I use.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions, I have been leaning to a Leupold this time around also.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Anyone know or have past experence with the Hogue stocks? Worth the $$ for the full length alum. bedding block? I know the McMillan is top shelf, but out of my range. I am a little torn, about the extra bucks on the full alum bedding block.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Go ahead and get the aluminum bedding block model-it's stiffer than the pillar bedded model, that translates to better accuracy.

If it was ME, I'd just have a good trigger job done on your rifle instead of using an aftermarket trigger. You'll save some money that way.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Upgraded the old but gold M77II the easy way. Took what I was going to spend on the M77II 7 mag and added a little to it. Went with one of the 7 mag All Weather Hawkeyes. Now waiting for Ruger to exchange the scope rings (NC) and for a back ordered 30MM 4-16 52mm Alaskan Guide scope to show up on the front porch. Was able to get the all weather stock, better trigger, and a bonus staineless steel barrel this way. My pockets were not deep enough to win the tag I was going for @ auction, but have a offer on another possible elk hunt this fall. Will post some pics when the rifle is ready to roll.