Ruger Gunsite vs. Savage Scout
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger Gunsite vs. Savage Scout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Ruger Gunsite vs. Savage Scout

I poked around a bit and didn't see a thread on this topic. I apologize in advance if this a "dead horse".

I'm in the market for a SHTF rifle and I'm pretty much set on the simplicity / reliability of a bolt action. Also, the idea of something in a NATO caliber seems like a no brainer - even though .308 is a real pain to find in NY with this bologna gun legislation recently passed.

What do you guys know about the Ruger Gunsite and the Savage Model 10FCM rifles? Also, please don't recommend the Steyr Scout unless you plan on floating me a loan.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Well the Ruger has larger magazines and a flash hider, the Savage will probably be more accurate with a better trigger. Basically it's between synthetic stock with a smaller mag or a wood stock with a larger mag. For SHTF I would go with the Ruger. Oh and the Savage costs less.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, the Ruger comes stock with a 10 round magazine and the Savage has a 4 round. However, I know Savage makes a 9 round magazine for the Scout so that kind of evens things up. As far as the flash hider goes, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I'm curious about the iron sights on the two - anyone have experience with them and can offer their take?

Old 02-18-2013, 02:41 AM   #4

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I don't have any personal experience with the gunsite but I've watched hickok45's video about it and he's always spot on....to tell you the truth he's the reason that I want one lol, couldn't find one in stock ANYWHERE though for anything less than msrp. Let us know what your decision is.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 AM   #5

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRicho1 View Post
I poked around a bit and didn't see a thread on this topic. I apologize in advance if this a "dead horse".

I'm in the market for a SHTF rifle and I'm pretty much set on the simplicity / reliability of a bolt action. Also, the idea of something in a NATO caliber seems like a no brainer - even though .308 is a real pain to find in NY with this bologna gun legislation recently passed.

What do you guys know about the Ruger Gunsite and the Savage Model 10FCM rifles? Also, please don't recommend the Steyr Scout unless you plan on floating me a loan.
I'd totally snatch up the Ruger gunsite if I found one, looks to be a perfect all-around big cal bolt action, I love the system with iron sights and the forward rail.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2416 Times on 1308 Posts
Likes Given: 695

The Ruger looks more rugged. Beefier sights and rail. It is heavier but part of that might be due to the Magazine. There are 3 & 5 shot mags available for the Ruger. I tried the scout scope system and I liked it. It is very fast but you do have to keep it low power. I use a fixed 2.5x pistol scope but you could easily put a red dot on it.
If I was a machinist I would make a forward rail for my BLR similar to the Savage rail.
The link below has a 10fcm in stock.
http://www.kygunco.com/index.cfm

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 02-18-2013 at 03:56 AM.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Over all reliability i would give for the ruger scout for SHTF

Old 02-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #8

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

The Ruger is a rugged rifle, but the laminated wood stock is very heavy and the single stack magazine sticks out too far. The Savage is much lighter and handier and IMO would make a better Scout rifle.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #9

Liked 409 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Trouble with the Ruger, despite being a bolt action, the detachable box mag and flash suppressor mean it'll be on "The List."

Old 02-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #10

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn
Trouble with the Ruger, despite being a bolt action, the detachable box mag and flash suppressor mean it'll be on "The List."
I don't think they would go after bolt guns if that's what you mean by the list

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Wiebelhaus Likes This