Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Ruger Gunsite vs. Savage Scout (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ruger-gunsite-vs-savage-scout-84481/)

TheRicho1 02-17-2013 10:49 PM

Ruger Gunsite vs. Savage Scout

I poked around a bit and didn't see a thread on this topic. I apologize in advance if this a "dead horse".

I'm in the market for a SHTF rifle and I'm pretty much set on the simplicity / reliability of a bolt action. Also, the idea of something in a NATO caliber seems like a no brainer - even though .308 is a real pain to find in NY with this bologna gun legislation recently passed.

What do you guys know about the Ruger Gunsite and the Savage Model 10FCM rifles? Also, please don't recommend the Steyr Scout unless you plan on floating me a loan. :)

Garadex 02-17-2013 11:57 PM

Well the Ruger has larger magazines and a flash hider, the Savage will probably be more accurate with a better trigger. Basically it's between synthetic stock with a smaller mag or a wood stock with a larger mag. For SHTF I would go with the Ruger. Oh and the Savage costs less.

TheRicho1 02-18-2013 12:24 AM

Yeah, the Ruger comes stock with a 10 round magazine and the Savage has a 4 round. However, I know Savage makes a 9 round magazine for the Scout so that kind of evens things up. As far as the flash hider goes, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I'm curious about the iron sights on the two - anyone have experience with them and can offer their take?

longunner 02-18-2013 01:41 AM

I don't have any personal experience with the gunsite but I've watched hickok45's video about it and he's always spot on....to tell you the truth he's the reason that I want one lol, couldn't find one in stock ANYWHERE though for anything less than msrp. Let us know what your decision is.

Wiebelhaus 02-18-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRicho1 (Post 1142035)
I poked around a bit and didn't see a thread on this topic. I apologize in advance if this a "dead horse".

I'm in the market for a SHTF rifle and I'm pretty much set on the simplicity / reliability of a bolt action. Also, the idea of something in a NATO caliber seems like a no brainer - even though .308 is a real pain to find in NY with this bologna gun legislation recently passed.

What do you guys know about the Ruger Gunsite and the Savage Model 10FCM rifles? Also, please don't recommend the Steyr Scout unless you plan on floating me a loan. :)

I'd totally snatch up the Ruger gunsite if I found one, looks to be a perfect all-around big cal bolt action, I love the system with iron sights and the forward rail.

JTJ 02-18-2013 02:32 AM

The Ruger looks more rugged. Beefier sights and rail. It is heavier but part of that might be due to the Magazine. There are 3 & 5 shot mags available for the Ruger. I tried the scout scope system and I liked it. It is very fast but you do have to keep it low power. I use a fixed 2.5x pistol scope but you could easily put a red dot on it.
If I was a machinist I would make a forward rail for my BLR similar to the Savage rail.
The link below has a 10fcm in stock.
http://www.kygunco.com/index.cfm

Rugers9 02-18-2013 04:16 AM

Over all reliability i would give for the ruger scout for SHTF

natman 02-23-2013 10:00 AM

The Ruger is a rugged rifle, but the laminated wood stock is very heavy and the single stack magazine sticks out too far. The Savage is much lighter and handier and IMO would make a better Scout rifle.

Donn 02-23-2013 11:13 AM

Trouble with the Ruger, despite being a bolt action, the detachable box mag and flash suppressor mean it'll be on "The List."

longunner 02-23-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donn
Trouble with the Ruger, despite being a bolt action, the detachable box mag and flash suppressor mean it'll be on "The List."

I don't think they would go after bolt guns if that's what you mean by the list