Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Im looking around for a good all around rifle. I don't plan on shooting farther than 300 yards at all but still want the ability to if needed. I mainly hunt in dense woods. Anyone know anything about the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have just purchased the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle. It is a .308 Cal. First impressions is incredible. It is 7lbs. and very easy to control. I have not shot it yet and have not cleaned off the packing grease off of it yet. I have cleaned off the bolt though. I have ran some snap caps through it to start getting a feel for the rifle and the bolt runs smoothly. It is the same bolt off of the M77 series of rifles which is overall based off the Mauser design. The trigger is very nice and has about a 3.5 lb. pull which is very crisp and clean. I can't wait to get a scope for the rifle and take it out on the range for some fun time. I am very happy with the buy. I purchased the rifle for hunting. I wanted something that I can carry all day long through some dense brush if needed and take out anything that MN can dish out. I will do pics in a couple of days.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:16 AM   #3

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

I just saw a video of it on youtube. It seems like a great gun. Let me know how it works out. Cant wait to see the pics!

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 12-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1075 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

That just looks like a fun gun shoot. Please post the results on it after you get it to the range.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #5

Likes Given: 2

I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout and for dense woods hunting it is the cat's meow.
For longer range stuff on game deer sized and bigger it leaves a lot to be desired. Mine is becoming a safe queen because I hunt in big country and not the closed in woods.

Biker

Old 01-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #6

I'm a Ruger fan and fell in love with the Gunsite when I saw it on the cover of my American Rifleman magazine. Recently I discovered a competition to win one through a Petersen's Hog Huntin' magazine and started looking at attachments and accessories. I thought it would be a good idea to to attach a light to the weapon, along the barrel, using a 45 degree Offset Rail Adapter, and the Gunsite's Picatinny rail. My concern is that the Offset Rail Adapter will block the line of sight between the front and rear iron sights. So my question is:

Does anyone know what the clearance is between the iron sight's line of sight and the picatinny rail?

Old 01-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I will take a look in the next couple of days and get back to you with it. I still have to go and take some pictures of the rifle to post.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Here is my rifle. I have not gotten the scope for it yet or the new magazines. I am also going to replace the flash hider and get a compensator so it will actually do something other than ring when I work the bolt.

If you are going to attach something to the rail, you have made the iron sights useless. There is about 1/4 inch space or so between your sight picture and the rail. I don't think you will have enough room to attach an angled light to it.

p1050013.jpg  

Old 01-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 849 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Nice rifle! Don't remember it as an option when I bough my M1 scout below. Similar set up, and same problem. I "solved" with a quick release mount for the LER scope. Seems to hold when reinstalled as well.

Perhaps an option.

image-2833173498.jpg  

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #10

Thank you for the info about the sight/picatinny rail clearance. It doesn't sound like much but I may still be able to mount one of these Offset rail adapters. I actually have a buddy who made his own scout rifle by sporterizing a Mosin Nagant M44. He used a rear sight picatinny rail adapter with a pistol scope and an aftermarket stock so that he could always return it to it's original condition. It looked pretty good for a $250 rifle, but I have no idea how well it shot.