Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5815 Times on 3289 Posts
Likes Given: 5285

A brilliant solution to a non existent problem.

Winston Churchill

Old 06-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #22

Default ruger scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
Huh?

A DBM bolt action rifle will be just as accurate as any internal mag rifle. An edge would go to a single shot bolt action for sure, as they have more metal to counteract the torsional stresses that firing places upon the action, however a DBM and internal mag rifle have the same action cutout.

I was thinking the same thing. The detachable box magazine should have no effect at all on accuracy. There are many detachable box/clip magazine rifles that are very accurate; i.e., the remington 788, Savage 99, Winchester 88, Winchester 100, to name a few.
cottontop

Old 06-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #23
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2011 Times on 1094 Posts
Likes Given: 602

All the people complaining about a box mag on a bolt have probably never seen an SMLE. The SMLE's have taken a lot of game all over the world as well as being Britain's battle rifle for a very long time.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #24

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Scott is right the Scout rifle is a Cub Scout concept. The box magazine is Ok but I will rely on a fixed magazine in ruggged country. The loss or damage to a removable magazine is very high under field conditions. The example of removable magazines for military operations with supply and unit support are different than being alone in the winter at 9,000'. The military use of removeable mags. is to support fast firing by military units. In fact civilian hunting rifles with removable Mags. have not been very popular. Putting a long eye relieve scope on such a rifle would be a handicap during blowing snow or sand. The use of these scopes with a desert sun at 12:00 O'Clock is next to impossible. A standard civilian hunting rifle with iron sights and a 4 X 40 scope chambered in a common 30. caliber round would do on my mountain.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #25

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I have an AR10 carbine. With the stock collapsed, it's just over 36 inches. It is chambered in 7.62 NATO/.308 Win. I have 25 round magazines. Obviously, it is semi-auto. When compared to the scout rifle concept, It seems the AR is superior in every notable category. Given this, I really don't understand the scout rifle.

JMHO. I'm sure I've overlooked something, as they sell a sh!tload of them.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I'm on the fence here. I can see the benefit of keeping both eyes open and w low mag you could quickly ID & engage tgts. However, if your cross eye dominant, you'll still have to close one eye to shoot.

Does a fwd mnt scope help or hinder first rd hits up to 200 yds ?

I like the idea or concept of take down rifles for packing & storing purposes. Or as long as they hold zero.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #27

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

My feeling is that the scout rifle is more of an eclectic cool than a step forward. It was innovative in the 80s but a good ar10 is lighter, more maneuverable, provides more optic options, has higher round counts, and aside from price is all around superior. Forward mounting the optic on a scout rifle is not done for sighting sake, it is done to allow unobstructed loading of the internal mag well of the rifle from above. This was more of.a.concern for the internal mag rifles and the detachable mag rifles don't really need this ability...

Old 06-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #28

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
I like the idea or concept of take down rifles for packing & storing purposes. Or as long as they hold zero.
That's the whole idea of mounting the rear sight (or scope in this case) on the barrel and not on the receiver to which the barreal is attached -- it is more consistent/accurate.

Now novices will start telling us how accurate their other gun-mounted sights are...

Old 06-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #29

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator View Post
Forward mounting the optic on a scout rifle is not done for sighting sake, it is done to allow unobstructed loading of the internal mag well of the rifle from above. This was more of.a.concern for the internal mag rifles and the detachable mag rifles don't really need this ability...
This is not entirely true -- it is also done so that you have a wide field of view. Peripheral vision is imortant to the these folk and the forward scope also provides for very rapid target acquisition.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #30

Liked 112 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I see it as a compromise, which panders to the "box mag" crowd.

If you want interchangeable mags, they generally lend themselves

to semi-autos. IMO, a box mag on a bolt-action is as useless as

hen-crap on a pump-handle, due to the fact that your rate of fire is

so slowed down by the inherent design, (of any bolt action) that

the difference in reload time would be minimally helpful in the field.

IMO, something like an SKS, semi with a built-in mag, is preferable.

If I were out in the weeds as a guide or scout, I wouldn't want a box-mag

tangling on every vine or branch within 20 feet.

Bear in mind, that generally, it's not the job of a scout to fight, and

IF he does his job properly, he never fires a shot, generally, either.

Ruger makes a great rifle, generally, though. I can't say there isn't

someone out there, somewhere, who might find it useful for

something, somehow.
My Tikka 3 in 22-250 has a box mag and I really like it. We don't have to case guns in our vehicles while hunting but they do have to be empty. The detachable mag is far easier for that than unloading and sticking the loose rounds somewhere. Other than that I tend to prefer blind mags cause If I get a chance to support my rifle I plan on it.