Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

I have just seen the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, it's an interesting concept, but I can't say that I fully understand the advantage of it.

It is shorter than other rifles in .308. It's box mag fed, and bolt action. It's also more expensive than other hunting rifles. So why get a scout rifle? It's slightly lighter than other rifles, but the short barrel makes me think that it won't use the .308 round effectively, and the kick will be harder on it. And why have the box fed bolt gun?

Overall, since it costs a premium, why would I want this over a "normal" bolt gun. I could understand if it was semi-auto maybe.

It is marketed as a gun that does everything, but what is that? Hunting, SD, ruggedness, does it offer HBO? I just don't see what it does. Unless its for people who do not intend to use the gun, but want a lightweight / powerful gun with 10 rds around as an emergency thing.

Anyone have any experience, or would recommend it?

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

my opinion:

its a stupid concept. its a type of gun that doesnt do anything well but succeed at failure. better off with a quality semi-auto for defense or survival. in a life or death situation a lightweight semi-auto in 556 or 762x39 will take any game in north america to keep you alive. it might not be a clean kill but it will keep you fed.

for a bolt gun iron sighted mosin 91/30 is hard to beat. there are short carbine versions if thats your thing.

personaly i dont understand the need for a "scout" rifle

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The term "scout rifle" was coined by Col. Jeff Cooper when he described his ideal general purpose rifle. It was intended to be compact light weight and able to takeout a human target at a distance that would only be limited by the shooters ability to hit the target.

It was designed by a pretty sharp dude when it comes to weapons ... a "stupid" idea?? I guess opinions will vary

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I kinda dig it. At under $1,000, it's a steal. It's on my short list.

And they look to be pretty popular too. Bud's is out of them at $749 a pop.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Personally, I think its a great idea. Its marketed as "the one rifle to have if you could only have one" so it was designed to be a shtf/hunting/sd/plinking fun as hell rifle that anyone can pick up and use quickly and easily. Its got a strong, simple, reliable action and its stupid accurate even with iron sights. Its in .308 so its got the stones to drop any animal you'll come across, and as for the rate of fire, first of all, no wasted shots, second, I've seen plenty of guys who can throw a bolt and fire in alot less than a second. It was made with the input of the top Gunsite instructors, and if anyone knows what would be best, it's them. Again, I think it a great idea and I REALLY, really want one, two would be better!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

cooper was the master of great one liners and zingers but he was hardly a good gun designer. i remember the bren ten fiasco of the mid 80's heh. ruger makes decent rifles but the features just dont meld.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

I saw one on one of the outdoor channel shows last week. And not knowing what it was, I must admit I though what is that atrocity. A bolt action rifle with a box magazine which certainly can not be as accurate as the typical bolt action. We experienced this fact in LE Sniper Schools when Remington came out with the 700s with the box magazines. Accuracy definitely was not what it had been. I guess the point being the Ruger Scout Rifle is not intended to be a precision rifle. I just think it was a stupid idea in more ways than one. That's all I would want is a 30 Round 308 Box Magazine hanging out of the bottom of the bolt gun. At least with the M-14 rifles you did not have to take your hands out of position to operate a bolt. I guess if your in to gimmicks it's OK. Of course at a show I saw 511 selling 511 Tactical Boot Laces if you get the drift.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #8

Liked 2187 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
I have just seen the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, it's an interesting concept, but I can't say that I fully understand the advantage of it.

It is shorter than other rifles in .308. It's box mag fed, and bolt action. It's also more expensive than other hunting rifles. So why get a scout rifle? It's slightly lighter than other rifles, but the short barrel makes me think that it won't use the .308 round effectively, and the kick will be harder on it. And why have the box fed bolt gun?

Overall, since it costs a premium, why would I want this over a "normal" bolt gun. I could understand if it was semi-auto maybe.

It is marketed as a gun that does everything, but what is that? Hunting, SD, ruggedness, does it offer HBO? I just don't see what it does. Unless its for people who do not intend to use the gun, but want a lightweight / powerful gun with 10 rds around as an emergency thing.

Anyone have any experience, or would recommend it?
IMO, they think you haven't seen a Mosin M-44 yet. I'd try a lot of stuff before you buy. To what type of "guide" are they referring?
Most decent guides I've heard of wouldn't want a box mag getting in the way.

Generally, if the "guide" does his job right, and his customers can shoot
passably, the guide, under optimum conditions, never even fires his gun,
barring extreme situations, or for fun. That's why they're looking for
a small, light, all-purpose rifle.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #9

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
A bolt action rifle with a box magazine which certainly can not be as accurate as the typical bolt action.
Huh?

A DBM bolt action rifle will be just as accurate as any internal mag rifle. An edge would go to a single shot bolt action for sure, as they have more metal to counteract the torsional stresses that firing places upon the action, however a DBM and internal mag rifle have the same action cutout.

Last edited by AusLach; 07-29-2011 at 02:05 AM.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:53 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't see what everybody's deal is, its just a short barreled bolt gun with a detachable box mag, yall are all acting like its the work of satan himself. Maybe its a stereotype that bolt guns are only for long range shots and therefore useless for closer range? Or is it that a bolt gun shouldn't have a box mag? I think everyone should just lighten up and have an open mind towards this