Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Interesting new rifle from Ruger--a little pricey but will probably sell well:

Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle Model 6803

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Interesting rifle. I'll be waiting to see the reviews.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

thats one ugly rifle. the box mag is interesting good to see ruger finally start to do something new. would like to have a detachable mag on my 700

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
thats one ugly rifle. the box mag is interesting good to see ruger finally start to do something new. would like to have a detachable mag on my 700
That is one of the ugliest darn things I have seen since waking up sober next to my ex wife.

I don't understand the detachable mag craze on bolt guns. I guess when all the tacticool guys can't shot worth a darn you need lost more ammo.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

got a one piece scope base its a little difficult filling the internal mag. a removable would just be easier.

with the ruger i dont like how far forward the integral base is.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's the whole idea of a scout rifle. Jeff Cooper designed the scout rifle concept as an all around platform where the scope (extended eye relief and low powered) is mounted forward and you keep both eyes open. Not saying I'm crazy about it but that's the purpose of the scout concept. It also has open sights in case of optical failure.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-31-2010, 12:25 PM   #7

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here is some things that I have found out about this rifle so far.

1. Controlled round feed

2. The magazines are single stack with 10,and 5rd available. The mags are made by Accuracy International. M14 mags were apparently looked at, but not utilized in the end as some of the M14 mags out there vary in specs. ( Nothing new here, as I only stick with quality M14 mags nowadays after trying out a few after-market junk).
The mags for the Ruger run between $75 to $100 a piece.

3. The trigger group and mag well are of 1 piece design, and are made from polymer.

4. The rear sight assembly is the same as they use on their newer Mini14 rifles

5. The flash suppressor (AC-556 type) is threaded, and could be removed easily from the bbl.

6. A possibility of a left handed version coming out in the future as well as being chambered for other calibers.

It resembles an Enfield jungle carbine to me at least. I would personally classify it as a Carbine, since it sports a 16 5/8 in bbl.

I wish Ruger the best of luck with the Gunsite. It will be interesting to see if other companies follow suit with a better designed scout rifle of their own.

11B

Grunt

Last edited by fragout; 12-31-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Judging by the specs, I am guessing Col. Cooper would have approved. I have never tried one out, but I certainly would be interested in giving one a try. If I could afford one, I would consider picking one up.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

16 inch of barrel on a 308 is prolly gonna have a lot of unburnt powder out the end making a big muzzle flash. 308 needs around 20" of running room to surpress that.

the forward scope mount on a bolt rifle doesnt make sense to me. the nature of the beast means careful well aimed shots. a dot sight on a short barreled bolt gun that already has irons seems a bit silly.

i read about the cooper scout rifle concept a bit back and it doesnt make any more sense now than it did then. cooper had a lot of good quotes but he wasnt a good gun designer.

scout implies sending one or two guys out to scout ahead looking for enemy or recon a route of advance. they shouldnt be engaging the enemy and if cornered rapid sustained fire would be more advantage than a bolt gun with limited ammo capacity and fire rate can provide.

the M4 carbine fills that need easily. lightweight can carry a LOT of ammo rapid well aimed shots with extremely fast follow up. 308 weighs a lot as do other big cartridges. when being pursued the scout doesnt need to kill with every shot. he/she just needs pursuit to end. 5.56 serves that role far better than lugging around big huge .308 nato.

cooper's whole scout rifle concept to me just doesnt make sense. it just smacks of a solution in search of a problem.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I got sucked into the Scout Rifle concept as I have always respected Col Cooper's weaponcraft opinions. I don't think so much of this one. Back when I was guiding bear hunters here in AK, I had a .35 Whelen built on an Obendorf Mauser action. 19" barrel, put a Ruger #1 quarter rib ahead of the action to mount the Burris Scout Scope, has a Redfield apperature sight in case of scope failure. I thought it would be the cats ass of bear rifles, 5 rounds of .35 Whelen is some impressive horsepower and could reload 5 more quickly with a stripper clip. Unfortunately, the scope sits JUST far enough back that you can not use a stripper clip. But the main problem with the whole concept is that the scope sits so far forward that any light you gather with it disapates before it reaches your eye, negating most of the advantage of having a scope at all. I'd rather have tritium XS sights.
So. I vote thumbs down on the whole Scout Rifle concept. All this being said, I'll sell you a good one in .35 Whelen for less than it takes to build one.