Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Ruger Gunsite Scout (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ruger-gunsite-scout-59598/)

ArmedCitizen 03-06-2012 07:52 PM

Ruger Gunsite Scout

Considering buying this rifle. Opinions?
Is anyone familiar with them? Or own one?

I really like Jeff Cooper's idea of a multipurpose, "scout" rifle. But I'm worried that the price tag will not be justified by the functionality.

I have handled this rifle, but have not fired it.
On paper, the short barrel, light weight and decent magazine capacity seem ideal for my needs; i.e. a bush rifle.

WillFire 03-06-2012 09:50 PM

I have recently purchased a GSR and plan on firing it this weekend. I have added an extended rail (for other than IER scopes), as well as a Burris 2.75x20mm scope. I plan on keeping a Ching Sling on it and have ordered extra mags (10, 5 and 3) from ShopRuger.com.

Will post updates as I have some experience with the weapon.

JTJ 03-06-2012 10:04 PM

I am wondering how well the scout scope works. I have handled the Ruger at the LGS but not set up with a scope. They dont last long at the dealers. Would appreciate the updates.

billt 03-06-2012 11:16 PM

With so many .308 AR Carbines on the market, as well as the Springfield Armory SOCOM 16, M1-A Scout, and SOCOM II, the bolt action Scout rifle concept is really outdated. There is nothing a high capacity bolt action will do that any of these weapons won't do better at the ranges the Cooper Scout Rifle was intended to be used at.

I looked at this weapon because I like bolt guns, but I couldn't justify it in the least. Not with owning both a SOCOM 16 and a DPMS Carbine in .308. You have just as much accuracy and ease of handling, with the ability to put a lot more downrange quicker.

JonM 03-06-2012 11:50 PM

my opinion:

the whole scout bolt gun was a less than brilliant idea in my opinion. its a mishmash of features that combined together does nothing well.

as a cqb bolt guns just plain sux. at extended ranges extended eye relief scopes really suck. so if you put the big scope at a normal eye relief you just busted the whole point of the gun.

i just think its a solution in search of a non-existant problem.

if you want one cuz you like it, go for it!!

billt 03-07-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 731295)
my opinion:

the whole scout bolt gun was a less than brilliant idea in my opinion. its a mishmash of features that combined together does nothing well.

as a cqb bolt guns just plain sux. at extended ranges extended eye relief scopes really suck. so if you put the big scope at a normal eye relief you just busted the whole point of the gun.

i just think its a solution in search of a non-existant problem.

Well said. I agree.

Hunterdan 03-07-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billt
With so many .308 AR Carbines on the market, as well as the Springfield Armory SOCOM 16, M1-A Scout, and SOCOM II, the bolt action Scout rifle concept is really outdated. There is nothing a high capacity bolt action will do that any of these weapons won't do better at the ranges the Cooper Scout Rifle was intended to be used at.

I looked at this weapon because I like bolt guns, but I couldn't justify it in the least. Not with owning both a SOCOM 16 and a DPMS Carbine in .308. You have just as much accuracy and ease of handling, with the ability to put a lot more downrange quicker.

To me the idea behind the gun is a quick handling rifle for use in the bush. Many states don't allow semiautos for hunting. I'm not big on the forward mounted scope, but I've never tried it. For someone who hunts in heavy brush, but can see shots up to 300-400 yards I think it is a viable option.

JTJ 03-07-2012 02:42 PM

I have a mini 30 and with the scope over the receiver, I have to remove the scope to get the bolt out for cleaning. I can get a scout rail for it placing the scope forward and making the rifle easier to clean. I just dont know how well the scout concept functions and dont want to experiment at the cost of a rail and scope. I need a lot more info before dropping $500 or more.

ktmboyz 03-07-2012 11:10 PM

I have been waiting for one of these for months and finally got one monday night :) I don't know why it appealed to me but I just liked the look and feel of it. Does it do anything my other rifles wont do, prob not and in a shtf situation I would still grab an AR out of the safe due to the weight of the rounds that would have to be packed around.

Question for the others here that have one ,, does the mag fit kind of loose on others ?? It feeds ok but just not as tight as one would like.

TGReaper 03-08-2012 01:44 AM

The 10 shot mag is loose in mine,the 5 shot fits better.

I expect that the "Scout" concept was not advanced to appeal to the SA spray and pray crowd, It fits very well in a gap that I had in my rifle rack.
TGR