Ruger Gunsite Scout
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger Gunsite Scout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger Gunsite Scout

I like the idea of this short handy bolt gun with lots of ammo to add to my SHTF collection. Allthough I know its not the ultimate SHTF gun I could see it being very handy. I am not a reloader so I was wondering what kind of accuracy I could expect from say www.freedommunitions.com bulk 308 in 150gr FMJ, 150gr SPBT, 155gr A-max and 168gr A-max....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

The ruger has a good rep and so does gunsite. The scout rifle can be had by other manufactures for cheaper though.
As far as ammo goes, .308 is one of my favorite rounds but it can get expensive quick.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5659 Times on 2956 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Not so well with 150grn due to the odd choice of 1:10 twist for a short range rifle meant to be used with milsurp...

Look to 168-179grn for best accuracy.

My opinion look at other rifles as the design of a "scout" rifle in a bolt gun doesnt really do anything well other than look cool.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-20-2012, 03:28 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

This is the scout rifle I would love to have bu can not afford it on my salary
http://www.impactguns.com/springfield-m1a-socom-16-308-wgreen-composite-stock-aa9625-706397883652.aspx

Old 02-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

A buddy of mine picked one up a couple of years ago.

It shoots so well that it has almost convinced me to sell my other bolt action rifles. It is just about the perfect all around bolt gun, though the checkering is razor sharp.

The balance is really nice and offhand hits on a 20" steel plate at 400 yards were easy. The rear sight on his did need to be buried all the way to one side, but there was enough adjustment to get it sighted in fine.

1/10 is just fine for 150gr pills.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
My opinion look at other rifles as the design of a "scout" rifle in a bolt gun doesnt really do anything well other than look cool.
+1

It just doesn't do anything for me. It seems to me to be a rifle in
search of a market. You might want one to put up because I don't
think it will be on the market too long. I just don't see it as a big
seller after the new wears off.
Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 02-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

It's a good thing that everyone doesn't like the same thing,( everyone would want my wife). The Scout rifle concept is an excellent all around rifle.
The Ruger "Gunsite Scout"is,in my opinion not as close to the basic plan as the "Ruger Scout" which is the export model.
The difference is that the export mod.,is stainless and has an 18.75 in.bbl
May not be the best at a specific discipline but it is my all weather/all purpose rifle.
Having said this I have rifles to suit all my specific requirements,this one just covers a whole lot of area in one good handling piece.
TGR

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

Old 03-22-2012, 05:41 AM   #8

Consider a lever in 30-30 or .45 LC: Models 94 or 92 in Trapper models or equivalent. Nice rifles. Consider also Rossi models of the above.