Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger Gunsight Scout Rifle....???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 787 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfGuitar
Case Closed....purchased a new Gunsight Scout Rifle this morning....

The only real down side to going with this rifle is the cost of ammo, .223 is running around $13.00 a box for range quality brass case, .308 is running $25.00 to $26.00 a box for range quality brass case ammo. So I'll have to shoot less, and make every shot count.....

I did score 4 boxes of PMC, and 4 boxes of Federal, hopefully tomorrow I'll get out to the range and dial in the iron sights. I have 2 different scopes on the bench, but right now I have no desire to scope this rifle, I only shoot at 100 yards, and prefer irons anyway......

Time to kill some bowling pins.....
Congrats! Nice rifle, I have heard good things about them.
I put a 2.8 Leupold fixed, LER scope on my scout and love the ease of acquisition and improvements over iron.

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 07-06-2013, 01:51 AM   #12
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1407 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 2870

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfGuitar View Post
The Mini-14 doesn't do it for me, I have one, a new one at that, and even with an Accu-Strut installed, the accuracy is marginal at best. Besides they are a task when breaking down for a full cleaning compared to a bolt action.
Not interested in a semi-auto, had AR's, M1A's, and I'm on my second Mini-14.

I looked at the variety of .223 / 5.56mm bolt guns offered by several manufacturers, not one is offered with iron sights.....
The other Mossberg MVP Patrol with rails for scope and iron sights mounted to the barrel.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-mvp-series-mvp-patrol/27755

Old 07-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1250 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
The other Mossberg MVP Patrol with rails for scope and iron sights mounted to the barrel.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-mvp-series-mvp-patrol/27755

I had not seen the MVP Patrol. It looks like what the OP has in mind. Now what is the availability?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post

I actually looked at one of the Mossberg MVP's, the iron sights left a lot to be desired, and I wasn't too impressed with the fit, finish, and over all quality of the one I held. The Ruger just feels like a quality rifle, it's build solid, the bolt action is smooth and effortless, and the trigger is amazing. After weighing all the options, I figured the higher cost of ammo was well worth going with the Ruger.
Beside this will be my main ITSHTF defensive rifle, and .308 Win / 7.62X51mm NATO will reach out and make a difference better than .223 Rem / 5.56mm....

Old 07-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 310 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I bought one of these last year in a Left bolt. I really like it! Enjoy your new boomer!

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 07-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Range Report.....

I braved the scorching heat and 95% humidity this afternoon, and took my new Scout rifle out for it's trial run. Put 5 random shots down the tube to warm it up and season the barrel before dialing in the iron sights.
Got one of the RSO's to spot a couple shots at a bowling pin to determine where my shots were hitting, made a windage adjustment, then fine tuned them on "Shoot & See" targets at 100 yards. Once I got my sights set, I shot a 10 round group on the top and a 7 round group on the bottom targets....

Ended up putting 40 rounds down range today, 20 rounds of 147Gr. PMC, and 20 rounds of 150Gr. Federal. The Federal had a tad more recoil then the PMC, but both shot P.O.A. / P.O.I. Recoil was there, but quite manageable, the trigger is a little heavy, but smooth as silk, breaks like glass, and no over travel.
The stock metal mag can be a bugger to insert, and a chore to load beyond 5 rounds, however I have two 10 round poly mags on order, so we'll see how they do. Over all I'm quite pleased with this rifle, it's solid, accurate, easy to clean, and a joy to shoot.....

Old 07-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #17
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I had not seen the MVP Patrol. It looks like what the OP has in mind. Now what is the availability?
It my area, the majority is allocated and when MVP Patrol rolls in, it is gone the same or next day.

This is the reason, I picked up the MVP Varmint version 5.56/.223 at the new military exchange.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #18
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfGuitar View Post
I actually looked at one of the Mossberg MVP's, the iron sights left a lot to be desired, and I wasn't too impressed with the fit, finish, and over all quality of the one I held. The Ruger just feels like a quality rifle, it's build solid, the bolt action is smooth and effortless, and the trigger is amazing. After weighing all the options, I figured the higher cost of ammo was well worth going with the Ruger.
Beside this will be my main ITSHTF defensive rifle, and .308 Win / 7.62X51mm NATO will reach out and make a difference better than .223 Rem / 5.56mm....
She is a beauty! If I see the scout at the base exchange, will take a look. Another thing, being on base - no tax!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:44 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Great choice!!!!

Here is my Lefty setting on the table after ruining the day of huge snapping turtles.
[

In my itty bitty pond

Last edited by VoxRomantic; 07-09-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Your scout should handle steel case ammo just fine. I shoot Brown Bear ammo in my BAR it never malfunctions and is great for bouncing golf balls as far as I can see them with iron sights. I usually find it for my mosin and BAR for around 70 cents a round including shipping. I usually order 120 rounds of soft point ammo at a time. The price gets cheaper if you order more ammo at the time. FMJ ammo might be cheaper I have never looked that closely at the prices of FMJ ammo.

The 7.62x 54r 203 gr SP does about the same amount of damage to a deer as a shotgun slug.

I prefer brown bear because the lacquer seals the ammo. Silver bear is zinc coated. I have dumped Brown Bear in the water by accident and it still went bang.

Last edited by John_Deer; 07-09-2013 at 04:17 AM.