Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger Gunsight Scout Rifle....???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Ruger Gunsight Scout Rifle....???

Being mainly a handgun shooter, my desire to shoot rifles runs hot & cold. I've had several over the years from .22lr to 30-06 and darn near everything in between. Bolts, levers, pumps, single shots, and several semi-autos, what I do know for sure is, I personally prefer bolt action rifles for their simplicity of operation, ease of cleaning and maintenance, and accuracy. I also prefer shooting through a decent set of iron sights over using scopes. I'm not a hunter.....(unless the sh*t hits the fan, and I have to eat)...... my range only has a 100 yard rifle range, so even with corrective bi-focals I have no real need of optics, and I just want one good defensive rifle just in case it comes to that......!!!

I like the whole concept of the scout rifle, battle type iron sights with the option of mounting two types of scopes if you so desire. What I would really like is one chambered for .223 Rem, but no one makes a scout rifle with iron sights in that caliber, but the Ruger has everything else I'm looking for, so I guess it's the direction I'll have to go.....

I'd like to hear from others who have one of these rifles, how is the over all quality, function, accuracy, ease of handling, and recoil.....?
Also, what type of sling are you using on it, and what type of ammo do they shoot best.....???

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1728 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 545

You are probably aware that there is a difference between 223 and 5.56x45 and it is not recommended to shoot the 5.56 in 223 chambers. A lot of the 223 rifles have 1:12 twist rates are are not suitable for bullets over 55 grains. While not a scout, the Mossberg MVP (1:9) is chambered in 5.56x45 and utilizes AR mags. Nice rifle but no iron so you will need optics. I have the 20". Savage makes a scout in their police series. 308 and 7.62x39. Not a bolt but the Ruger Mini 14 is easy to make into a scout by adding an Amiga front rail. The mini is very easy to disassemble when there is no scope over the action. Makes a nice package and runs on a piston gas system. The newer ones are fairly accurate and the Amiga helps the accuracy. Factory mags run from 5 to 30 rounds. I like the 20's.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 07-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #3

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Have you heard of the mossberg mvp? Its a pretty nice rifle i think im going to pick one up myself it accepts any ar15 mag and its chambered for 556 and you can still shoot 223 heres some pics i found on the web

image-3673450831.jpg

image-1417149618.jpg   image-2389477362.jpg   image-3249938053.jpg   image-477520770.jpg   image-3162425690.jpg  

Old 07-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1763 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 3533

I picked up the Mossberg MVP Varmint, love it; however, the rifle stills needs some more range time. I was going this morning; but, being the fourth the range is packed!

I was at the military exchange yesterday and had the Ruger Ranch Rifle which is .223/5.56 version.

I like this rifle or the wood stock; but, come home with another mouth to feed and the boss will be mad.

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14RanchRifle/specSheets/5805.html

I did a query on Ruger for the Scout and the only version was .308 model's. I do not like them for their scope placement is too far forward.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
I picked up the Mossberg MVP Varmint, love it; however, the rifle stills needs some more range time. I was going this morning; but, being the fourth the range is packed!

I was at the military exchange yesterday and had the Ruger Ranch Rifle which is .223/5.56 version.

I like this rifle or the wood stock; but, come home with another mouth to feed and the boss will be mad.

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14RanchRifle/specSheets/5805.html

I did a query on Ruger for the Scout and the only version was .308 model's. I do not like them for their scope placement is too far forward.
I was concerned about the forward scope placement too so I put together a Mini 30 with an Amiga rail. Low mounted a 2.5x pistol scope and was amazed at how fast and well it handled. Sold the 30 but now have a new model14 and will probably set it up the same way. Not having a scope over the action makes a big difference in taking the Mini down for cleaning. Makes it easier on a bolt action too.

Patron Member NRA
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 07-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #6

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I like hq357's setup with the standard setup of their scope. I think the best aspect of the Ruger GS Scout is that it is box-magazine-fed.

Most 308 rifle with a box magazine either have only 4 rounds or cost $2500.

But I'd rather not use a 2.5x scout scope for a rifle chambered in something that can actually reach out to 600 yards. I'd much rather have a 3-12x scope mounted above the action.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Last edited by CHLChris; 07-04-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I think hq357's setup with the standard setup of their scope. I think the best aspect of the Ruger GS Scout is that it is box-magazine-fed.

Most 308 rifle with a box magazine either have only 4 rounds or cost $2500.

But I'd rather not use a 2.5x scout scope for a rifle chambered in something that can actually reach out to 600 yards. I'd much rather have a 3-12x scope mounted above the action.
The Gunsight Scout was not designed to be a 600 yard rifle. What you want and what the OP wants are 2 different things. He want irons and you want optics. They do make variable pistol scopes. I have a 2-8X. By the way, you can get a mag kit for the Howa/Vanguard.

Patron Member NRA

Old 07-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #8

The Mini-14 doesn't do it for me, I have one, a new one at that, and even with an Accu-Strut installed, the accuracy is marginal at best. Besides they are a task when breaking down for a full cleaning compared to a bolt action.
Not interested in a semi-auto, had AR's, M1A's, and I'm on my second Mini-14.

I looked at the variety of .223 / 5.56mm bolt guns offered by several manufacturers, not one is offered with iron sights.....

Old 07-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #9

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

The op wants a bolt action that shoots 223 with iron sights

Old 07-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #10

Case Closed....purchased a new Gunsight Scout Rifle this morning....

The only real down side to going with this rifle is the cost of ammo, .223 is running around $13.00 a box for range quality brass case, .308 is running $25.00 to $26.00 a box for range quality brass case ammo. So I'll have to shoot less, and make every shot count.....

I did score 4 boxes of PMC, and 4 boxes of Federal, hopefully tomorrow I'll get out to the range and dial in the iron sights. I have 2 different scopes on the bench, but right now I have no desire to scope this rifle, I only shoot at 100 yards, and prefer irons anyway......

Time to kill some bowling pins.....