Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Ruger American Rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ruger-american-rifle-95988/)

karateguy28 08-25-2013 07:26 AM

Ruger American Rifle

Hey everyone. I am looking to get my first bolt action rifle and am very interested in the Ruger American in .243. I had a tough decision between the ruger american and the Remington 783 and then deciding on the .243 caliber over the .270. The biggest animal that I will probably hunt/shoot will be deer at about 200 yards max. Does anyone have any experience with the Ruger American? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

karateguy28 08-25-2013 07:27 AM

P.S. any input on accessories such as scope, bipod, sling, etc would be nice as well.

chloeshooter 08-25-2013 09:41 AM

I have heard nothing but good things about Ruger American rifles. I just picked up the Rem 783 (chose it for feel it seems a more durable build). .270 Win.

I believe the Ruger American won 'rifle of the year' in 2012. Good luck with your purchase

jarhead0881 08-25-2013 09:58 AM

I'm looking to buy a new rifle as well and I am strongly considering the Ruger American also. A lot of the guys on here give fantastic reviews for it. From what I've heard as far as glass and bipods, if you're on a pretty strict budget, is Bushnell scopes and Caldwell or Blackhawk bipods. I'm actually going to eventually get 2 bipods. One for prone and benchrest and another for seated position.

karateguy28 08-25-2013 10:19 AM

Thank you both for your input!

jarhead0881 08-25-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karateguy28
Thank you both for your input!

You're welcome! Good luck in searching for your rifle! When you get it all set up, give us an update on how she's running!

Franklin1995 08-25-2013 12:18 PM

I was considering the American, but I bought a Marlin XL7 instead and I love it. Very accurate, and feels abit better than the American imo.

karateguy28 08-25-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin1995 (Post 1346341)
I was considering the American, but I bought a Marlin XL7 instead and I love it. Very accurate, and feels abit better than the American imo.

I was looming at that rifle as well. I suppose I'll handle all 3 of them (ruger, Remington, marlin) and pick from there. The price for the ruger is very appealing though. $365 here.

Franklin1995 08-25-2013 02:13 PM

I picked up my Marlin for $299. And I prefer the checkering on the rifle compared to whatever it is Ruger did with theirs. Stay away from the Remington. I've heard alot of bad stuff about it. The biggest differences between the Ruger and the Marlin are the safety and the magazine. Ruger has a tang safety, and a detachable box. Marlin has a safety like the R700, and a internal box. Although the Ruger box mag seems like it's well made, that's just another thing to go wrong eventually and you'll have to replace it. The Marlin isn't free floated like the Ruger, but that's not the worst of things. It is pillar bedded, which is abit better than the Ruger. Last thing is that I believe the Marlin has a heavier barrel. Lots of people said that the Ruger would shoot 2 shots great, and then have a flier. I put about 10 through my Marlin at 100yds before it started spreading, but I was still hitting "kill shots" with it. Both rifles are good, it's going to come down to what you like in terms of safety and magazine. Whatever you do, stay away from the Remington and the Axis. Axis has a terrible trigger. On the Ruger and Marlin, it's adjustable.

Axxe55 08-25-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin1995 (Post 1346435)
I picked up my Marlin for $299. And I prefer the checkering on the rifle compared to whatever it is Ruger did with theirs. Stay away from the Remington. I've heard alot of bad stuff about it. The biggest differences between the Ruger and the Marlin are the safety and the magazine. Ruger has a tang safety, and a detachable box. Marlin has a safety like the R700, and a internal box. Although the Ruger box mag seems like it's well made, that's just another thing to go wrong eventually and you'll have to replace it. The Marlin isn't free floated like the Ruger, but that's not the worst of things. It is pillar bedded, which is abit better than the Ruger. Last thing is that I believe the Marlin has a heavier barrel. Lots of people said that the Ruger would shoot 2 shots great, and then have a flier. I put about 10 through my Marlin at 100yds before it started spreading, but I was still hitting "kill shots" with it. Both rifles are good, it's going to come down to what you like in terms of safety and magazine. Whatever you do, stay away from the Remington and the Axis. Axis has a terrible trigger. On the Ruger and Marlin, it's adjustable.

the Marlin is free floated on the barrel, along with being pillar bedded. i own three of them and all three are free floated. the XL7C in 25-06, a XS7 in 7mm-08 and a XS7VH in 308. the Ruger has a stock plate that locks the actiion into the stock when it's tightened down. a very good and solid system that works quite well.

the Marlin also has an adjustable trigger and very good recoil pad to boot. the bolt is very smooth an gets even better with more shooting.

the Marlin is another good option for the choice of a good rifle at a decent price. the Ruger American is getting very good reviews so far and i haven't heard anything negative yet about them.

the M783 i handled a few weeks ago at my LGS, and compared to what i hope it's ging to replace the POS M770, i was very impressed with it. it shoulders well, it feels much more solid and appears much better made than the M770. the bolt is much smoother as is the trigger. one of the members here just got one and did some range tests with it. might be worthwhile to look up the thread and read along.