ruger American rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > ruger American rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default ruger American rifle

Anyone shoot one yet? Are people interested? Thinking about picking up a few for the store.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
Anyone shoot one yet? Are people interested? Thinking about picking up a few for the store.
I bought the Ruger American 30-06 about a month ago. Have put around 50rnds through it so far and love it. Crisp trigger and adjustable. Decent groups. Good rifle.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I would say order 1 or 2 and see how the sell before you go ordering a mess of them.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #4

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I regularly visit a number of gunsites and have read a fair number of inquiries/replies about the Ruger American on them. For an entry class rifle, its generally getting positive comments from its owners. They like the rifle, saying accuracy is good. Whats good, beats me, don't recall any specific details, 3/4" 100 yd groups for example.

I've handled the American 4 or 5 times in stores with it. Seems all of them were either 30-06 or 270s....neither cartridge I have any need for, nor want for my paper shooting. Besides have around 4 30-06s already and the two 270s I've owned I had rebarreled to another cartridge. So, whenever I find one in a cartridge I'd like to own, would consider buying one. Presently, my entry type rifle preference is a Marlin X rifle.....have a couple.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #5

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffmanite
I regularly visit a number of gunsites and have read a fair number of inquiries/replies about the Ruger American on them. For an entry class rifle, its generally getting positive comments from its owners. They like the rifle, saying accuracy is good. Whats good, beats me, don't recall any specific details, 3/4" 100 yd groups for example.

I've handled the American 4 or 5 times in stores with it. Seems all of them were either 30-06 or 270s....neither cartridge I have any need for, nor want for my paper shooting. Besides have around 4 30-06s already and the two 270s I've owned I had rebarreled to another cartridge. So, whenever I find one in a cartridge I'd like to own, would consider buying one. Presently, my entry type rifle preference is a Marlin X rifle.....have a couple.
They also make it in .243 and .308

Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I was looking at one in 308. Looked at Marlin but it has a 1:12 twist while Ruger has a 1:10 twist. I like the 1:10 better.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I'm thinking of picking up 2 in .308

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2033 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
I was looking at one in 308. Looked at Marlin but it has a 1:12 twist while Ruger has a 1:10 twist. I like the 1:10 better.
What is the reason for your preference? Just curious

Old 10-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
What is the reason for your preference? Just curious
Works better with heavier bullets.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #10

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Field and Stream picked the Ruger American as the best rifle of 2012. I don't know how that translates into sales but it has to do something. Today it might not mean as much as it used too. Most people that read Field and Stream already have a dozen rifles. Today it might have more weight if it were in Mall Ninjas R US.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/