Ruger American Rifle...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger American Rifle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ruger American Rifle...

I've been looking deeply into this rifle. I must say Marlin, Savage, and Weatherby better watch out!!! Best new rifle under $400.. check it out if ya havnt already.

Guns Don't kill people... Stupid people kill people with Guns!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

The Ruger American is listed on their web page as a $449.00 Firearm. The T/C Venture has more features better looks is USA made and has more calibers available and is listed as the same price. You can also find deals on them because that have been out a while. Check them out if you havent already
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/venture.php

Old 02-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 518

Looks like a nice rifle, just too bad it dosnt have the mauser style action.

I think my next new bolt rifle will be a m77 from ruger.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 02-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2417 Times on 1309 Posts
Likes Given: 695

The American is 12 oz lighter than the TC. I wish either of them made a light weight 5.56X45 with 1:8 twist.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #5

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Had opportunity to handle a 30-06 Ruger American a few days ago. Noticed ad in newspaper showing it in stock and priced for $440, dang near Ruger MSRP. Had no intention of buying it, aware of another seller in my area with them on order and have been told they'll be selling it for $380. Now I own, a couple of Stevens 200s, a pair of Marlin XL/XS rifles and a Savage Edge/Axis, so I'm familiar with what to expect from a low cost type of rifle. Think I've paid from $180 to $330 (plus tax) for these rifles Quite honestly, after holding the rifle in my hands and checking it out, was disappointed with it. Perhaps I expected too much, owning an old Ruger 77 Tang Safety rifle and one of their newer 77 Hawkeye rifles. Oh, it had some nice features I liked, but for a 30-06 rifle it seemed kinda flimsy and while I hate to say it, cheaply made. Hard to explain, but the American seemed more suitable for being a .223 kind of rifle, not a 30-06, a cartridge I have in 4 different rifles. Oh well, just my lowly first impression and I'm certainly hope I'm wrong in it.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffmanite
Had opportunity to handle a 30-06 Ruger American a few days ago. Noticed ad in newspaper showing it in stock and priced for $440, dang near Ruger MSRP. Had no intention of buying it, aware of another seller in my area with them on order and have been told they'll be selling it for $380. Now I own, a couple of Stevens 200s, a pair of Marlin XL/XS rifles and a Savage Edge/Axis, so I'm familiar with what to expect from a low cost type of rifle. Think I've paid from $180 to $330 (plus tax) for these rifles Quite honestly, after holding the rifle in my hands and checking it out, was disappointed with it. Perhaps I expected too much, owning an old Ruger 77 Tang Safety rifle and one of their newer 77 Hawkeye rifles. Oh, it had some nice features I liked, but for a 30-06 rifle it seemed kinda flimsy and while I hate to say it, cheaply made. Hard to explain, but the American seemed more suitable for being a .223 kind of rifle, not a 30-06, a cartridge I have in 4 different rifles. Oh well, just my lowly first impression and I'm certainly hope I'm wrong in it.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I too own a Marlin XS7 and Stevens 200. I have handled other entry level bolt rifles as well. I like my Marlin the best.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just like the features. They took a lot from tikka and sako for this rifle. I like the full diameter bolt with a 70 degree lock. And three lug. Has an adjustable 3-5 pound trigger. Free floated barrel. I handled one and liked it. I like the marlins as well. Great gun for the money! I just have never had any problems with my Rugers... My smithy said it will most likely be in the 350 to 400 range at a fair priced dealer.

Guns Don't kill people... Stupid people kill people with Guns!

Old 02-10-2012, 03:01 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 196

guess it was time for ruger to get in the entry market too. i will check them out. oiut of the budget rifles i have shot,picked up or swa on the range only the marlin and stevens are acceptable. that being said i have never seen a van guard or titka. the 710s and 770s really dont do it for me.although i understand their purpose and intentions.those remmys aint bad shooters i just think for the money the marlin and stevens are better choices

Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6625 Times on 3691 Posts
Likes Given: 6299

From some unpleasant past experiences, I won't trust anything new from Ruger until it's been on the market for at least 5 years, and has the bugs worked out.

Ruger makes some fine weapons, but they have a nasty habit of selling them before they're proven.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 02-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

+100. Ruger does not seem to understand how to work out the bugs prior to release. They have a track record of letting the consumer beta test their stuff (at full price).

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball