Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Ruger American Rifle... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ruger-american-rifle-56989/)

Ryno702 02-04-2012 03:52 PM

Ruger American Rifle...

I've been looking deeply into this rifle. I must say Marlin, Savage, and Weatherby better watch out!!! Best new rifle under $400.. check it out if ya havnt already.

Minionsram 02-04-2012 04:38 PM

The Ruger American is listed on their web page as a $449.00 Firearm. The T/C Venture has more features better looks is USA made and has more calibers available and is listed as the same price. You can also find deals on them because that have been out a while. Check them out if you havent already
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/venture.php

colmustard 02-04-2012 05:00 PM

Looks like a nice rifle, just too bad it dosnt have the mauser style action.

I think my next new bolt rifle will be a m77 from ruger.

JTJ 02-04-2012 05:18 PM

The American is 12 oz lighter than the TC. I wish either of them made a light weight 5.56X45 with 1:8 twist.

huffmanite 02-05-2012 09:03 PM

Had opportunity to handle a 30-06 Ruger American a few days ago. Noticed ad in newspaper showing it in stock and priced for $440, dang near Ruger MSRP. Had no intention of buying it, aware of another seller in my area with them on order and have been told they'll be selling it for $380. Now I own, a couple of Stevens 200s, a pair of Marlin XL/XS rifles and a Savage Edge/Axis, so I'm familiar with what to expect from a low cost type of rifle. Think I've paid from $180 to $330 (plus tax) for these rifles Quite honestly, after holding the rifle in my hands and checking it out, was disappointed with it. Perhaps I expected too much, owning an old Ruger 77 Tang Safety rifle and one of their newer 77 Hawkeye rifles. Oh, it had some nice features I liked, but for a 30-06 rifle it seemed kinda flimsy and while I hate to say it, cheaply made. Hard to explain, but the American seemed more suitable for being a .223 kind of rifle, not a 30-06, a cartridge I have in 4 different rifles. Oh well, just my lowly first impression and I'm certainly hope I'm wrong in it.

dks7895 02-05-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huffmanite
Had opportunity to handle a 30-06 Ruger American a few days ago. Noticed ad in newspaper showing it in stock and priced for $440, dang near Ruger MSRP. Had no intention of buying it, aware of another seller in my area with them on order and have been told they'll be selling it for $380. Now I own, a couple of Stevens 200s, a pair of Marlin XL/XS rifles and a Savage Edge/Axis, so I'm familiar with what to expect from a low cost type of rifle. Think I've paid from $180 to $330 (plus tax) for these rifles Quite honestly, after holding the rifle in my hands and checking it out, was disappointed with it. Perhaps I expected too much, owning an old Ruger 77 Tang Safety rifle and one of their newer 77 Hawkeye rifles. Oh, it had some nice features I liked, but for a 30-06 rifle it seemed kinda flimsy and while I hate to say it, cheaply made. Hard to explain, but the American seemed more suitable for being a .223 kind of rifle, not a 30-06, a cartridge I have in 4 different rifles. Oh well, just my lowly first impression and I'm certainly hope I'm wrong in it.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I too own a Marlin XS7 and Stevens 200. I have handled other entry level bolt rifles as well. I like my Marlin the best.

Ryno702 02-07-2012 06:02 PM

I just like the features. They took a lot from tikka and sako for this rifle. I like the full diameter bolt with a 70 degree lock. And three lug. Has an adjustable 3-5 pound trigger. Free floated barrel. I handled one and liked it. I like the marlins as well. Great gun for the money! I just have never had any problems with my Rugers... My smithy said it will most likely be in the 350 to 400 range at a fair priced dealer.

godale 02-10-2012 02:01 AM

guess it was time for ruger to get in the entry market too. i will check them out. oiut of the budget rifles i have shot,picked up or swa on the range only the marlin and stevens are acceptable. that being said i have never seen a van guard or titka. the 710s and 770s really dont do it for me.although i understand their purpose and intentions.those remmys aint bad shooters i just think for the money the marlin and stevens are better choices

locutus 02-10-2012 07:09 PM

From some unpleasant past experiences, I won't trust anything new from Ruger until it's been on the market for at least 5 years, and has the bugs worked out.

Ruger makes some fine weapons, but they have a nasty habit of selling them before they're proven.

robocop10mm 02-11-2012 03:30 AM

+100. Ruger does not seem to understand how to work out the bugs prior to release. They have a track record of letting the consumer beta test their stuff (at full price).