Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Ruger American Range Report. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ruger-american-range-report-90846/)

kytowboater 05-17-2013 09:45 PM

Ruger American Range Report.

For those of you who care.

This was my first time trying to zero in a scope.

I only took on picture because I'm scatter brained about things like that. I wasn't going for amazing groups either.

kytowboater 05-17-2013 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Darn text disappeared....

Anyhow it's chambered in .270. A Nikon Pro Staff 3x9x40 Mounted with millet steel rings and "boresighted" supposedly. I had my lgs mount and sight the scope. .

They didn't to to great....

It was over a foot low at 25 yards.

Ammo used were three types.

FEDERAL "Deer Thug" 150grain

Federal Blue box 150grain

And Winchester black and red box forget the name at the moment 130 grain.

I used mainly the Deer Thug 150 grain as that's what I plan to hunt with.

After getting it to shoot dead center at 25 yards I moved to 100. It was close.

Attachment 101615

Also this target is a standard 8" pistol target that was bought at walmart.

This was the first target at 100 yards. The two in the diamond and one just left were the last 3 taken after the zero was set. The others are adjustments.

I didn't wait for the barrel to cool for this target. I left the gun alone for a while til it was cool to the touch. The first 150 grain sent was dead true at 100 yards. Good cold bore shot.

It shoots higher with the 130 as I expected and it shot equal with the Blue box federal.

Next time ill try for good groups. This to me is practical accuracy for hunting. Not bad for a $350 rifle and a $200 scope set up, using factory federal. I intend to hunt and rarely plink with this rifle.

Please don't judge the lack of clover leaf groups, I wasn't really trying for that, I just wanted to get it zeroed.

kytowboater 05-17-2013 09:57 PM

The rifle had a nice trigger. It's still at whatever te factory set it at, I can adjust it down to 3lb I believe.

My only complaint is that my bolt catch is not functioning. If you rack the bolt a certain way, I will come out, and you may drop it. I did.

Other than that it was pretty nice to shoot. Recoil was manageable but man that thing is loud. After 3 shots the barrel is pretty warm. It's a sporter profile I believe.

All in all I enjoy the rifle.

HockaLouis 05-17-2013 10:32 PM

Congrats!

Last time I saw a bad initial boresighting like that it actually wasn't! They laughed when I returned telling them I was three feet high at a hundred yards. "That's what you get for not paying us to install and boresight you. Hiw much ammo did you waste?" "You drunk f**k," I explained, "anyone can boresight a falling-block .22-250 by looking thru the bore and then the scope. You sold me the wrong rings. Laugh at me again!" He went and got the right rings -- what I didn't notice at the time was they weren't even the same brand anymore -- one was the Leupold I bought and the other was a Redfield. The alchy went out of business within a year or two and now frequents gun shows trying to sell his leftover garbage and obviously poorly made AR parts.

kytowboater 05-17-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis
Congrats!

Last time I saw a bad initial boresighting like that it actually wasn't! They laughed when I returned telling them I was three feet high at a hundred yards. "That's what you get for not paying us to install and boresight you. Hiw much ammo did you waste?" "You drunk f**k," I explained, "anyone can boresight a falling-block .22-250 by looking thru the bore and then the scope. You sold me the wrong rings. Laugh at me again!" He went and got the right rings -- what I didn't notice at the time was they weren't even the same brand anymore -- one was the Leupold I bought and the other was a Redfield. The alchy went out of business within a year or two and now frequents gun shows trying to sell his leftover garbage and obviously poorly made AR parts.

That's crazy sounding lol. It just wasnt set up well. It was on a human size target at 25 yards. If was wayyyyy low and left. I stapled a target below the target I was aiming at so it would hit it.

My friend also had his set up by them. Lots and lots of adjustment later. They shoot well.

It took 15 rounds to get dead on at 100. After that I shot another 10 playing around. Seeing which grain shot where. Then played with the AR.

Darn 1911 slide won't lock back.......

Sonic82 05-17-2013 10:53 PM

Looks good to me...my CDL would get them all in the orange. I'm sure your Ruger will too, once its tweaked..nice rifle.

kytowboater 05-17-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic82
Looks good to me...my CDL would get them all in the orange. I'm sure your Ruger will too, once its tweaked..nice rifle.

The two in black and one just to the left were zeroed shots. The others were from the 25yard zero. I still want a 700 in .308.

HockaLouis 05-17-2013 11:15 PM

The 1911 slide won't lock back and the bolt on the rifle falls out? I guess they kinda balance each other out. But it musta been nice to get your land legs back.

Hey, did you bother to find any beer?

kytowboater 05-17-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis
The 1911 slide won't lock back and the bolt on the rifle falls out? I guess they kinda balance each other out. But it musta been nice to get your land legs back.

Hey, did you bother to find any beer?

Yep. Got the beer. Drank it. Now beerless. Will be at store after a while.

Ya pretty mad about the 1911. Scratched the bolt handle when it fell.

Apex-Predator 05-22-2013 12:41 AM

Keep me updated on your tweeking, I have been looking into getting a Ruger American, sent them an e-mail today in fact asking if they had any plans on releasing a 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmore version. Love those 6.5s they are tough to beat for an all around hunting/target rifle.