Ruger American or marlin x7?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger American or marlin x7?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Ruger American or marlin x7?

I've liked at both, and its a toss up. I have a little time before I make the decision, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with both. I don't think I could go wrong either way to be honest. I have already set my mind on a 30-06, do you guys have any recommendation when it comes to ammo brands/bullet grain. I'm somewhat new to the whole rifle thing and I'm not expecting super accurate groups with this gun. It will mostly be hunting/range gun. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #2

Liked 229 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 386

I've heard good things about both, but i do not have personal experience with either.
That being said, on the whole, ive had better luck with rugers of any kind, as opposed to marlin. The ruger american gets my vote.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the Ruger American is getting some really good reviews and with it being a Ruger, i expect it will be a very good rifle. now my personal preference is the Marlin X7 series, and as much as like Rugers, and i do own several of them, i really like the Marlin better. i own three of the X7's so far, an XL7C in 25-06, an XS7 in 7mm-08 and an XS7VH in 308. all three are very accurate, very well made and have some great features for such an inexpensive rifle, such as, an adjustable trigger, pillar bedded stocks and an excellent recoil pad. they are priced pretty decently as well and have heard of some getting them NIB for a just a little over $300.

i don't doubt he Ruger is an excellent rifle, but IMO, the Marlin is a much nicer looking rifle with more of classic look to it. that is a personal prefernce and based on my opinions. either one would serve you quite well i am sure, the Ruger i give the recommendation based on the companies past products and good reviews by those who have bought them, and the Marlin based on personal experiance and many, many great reviews since it came out a few years ago.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
the Ruger American is getting some really good reviews and with it being a Ruger, i expect it will be a very good rifle. now my personal preference is the Marlin X7 series, and as much as like Rugers, and i do own several of them, i really like the Marlin better. i own three of the X7's so far, an XL7C in 25-06, an XS7 in 7mm-08 and an XS7VH in 308. all three are very accurate, very well made and have some great features for such an inexpensive rifle, such as, an adjustable trigger, pillar bedded stocks and an excellent recoil pad. they are priced pretty decently as well and have heard of some getting them NIB for a just a little over $300.

i don't doubt he Ruger is an excellent rifle, but IMO, the Marlin is a much nicer looking rifle with more of classic look to it. that is a personal prefernce and based on my opinions. either one would serve you quite well i am sure, the Ruger i give the recommendation based on the companies past products and good reviews by those who have bought them, and the Marlin based on personal experiance and many, many great reviews since it came out a few years ago.
Thanks guys, I think I'm leaning toward the ruger. I want to hold both again though, before I make my decision.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #5

I don't see why you don't expect good groups. Maybe you won't get them w/ the .30-06, but I think you would. I have a Marlin XL7 in .25-06 and w/ my handloads I have shot many groups less than 1/2". I didn't buy the marlin because I needed an inexpensive rifle as I can afford to buy any rifle out there. I bought it because of it's light weight, good looks, and quality.
ct

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
I don't see why you don't expect good groups. Maybe you won't get them w/ the .30-06, but I think you would. I have a Marlin XL7 in .25-06 and w/ my handloads I have shot many groups less than 1/2". I didn't buy the marlin because I needed an inexpensive rifle as I can afford to buy any rifle out there. I bought it because of it's light weight, good looks, and quality.
ct
I didn't mean that the group's would be bad but it's in no way a sniper rifle or target gun.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I didn't mean that the group's would be bad but it's in no way a sniper rifle or target gun.

Well, I guess it depends on what your definition of "super accurate groups" is. To me, less than a half inch with a non-benchrest rifle IS super accurate. And, doing it consistantly lends to even more credibility of being super accurate. I don't think you will find a light weight hunting rifle from any maker that is more accurate than that, regardless of caliber.
ct

People Like This 
Old 07-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post

Well, I guess it depends on what your definition of "super accurate groups" is. To me, less than a half inch with a non-benchrest rifle IS super accurate. And, doing it consistantly lends to even more credibility of being super accurate. I don't think you will find a light weight hunting rifle from any maker that is more accurate than that, regardless of caliber.
ct
I understand, I would be really happy with 1/2" at 100yds.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I understand, I would be really happy with 1/2" at 100yds.
well we get those and better all day long out of the Marlins!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1871 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 691

I have a Marlin XT 22 MR. Pretty much the same gun as the Marlin X7. The first Marlin I got shot so high I couldn't set the iron sights. I called Remlin. They did pay for the postage and they replaced the gun. But the first Remlin should have never left the factory. You know why you can't find a new Marlin lever action? Remington laid off all the Marlin employees. They tried to build the lever actions. So many of the Remlin lever actions were returned they stopped production of all lever actions and have not resumed production.

I would buy the ruger if it has everything you desire. What lead me into the Remlin was Savage doesn't believe in putting iron sights on a 22 wmr.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato