Ruger American

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger American

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Ruger American

Have any of you guys shot one? I hear that they are better than a savage axis. I just want a cheap hunting gun that I dont care to much about. I'm looking one in 30-06.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #2

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
Have any of you guys shot one? I hear that they are better than a savage axis. I just want a cheap hunting gun that I dont care to much about. I'm looking one in 30-06.
They are all but a savage axis stocks are the same, actions are as well, go handle a marlin xl7 &see what you think its better built for the same price

Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post

They are all but a savage axis stocks are the same, actions are as well, go handle a marlin xl7 &see what you think its better built for the same price
I knew someone was going to mention a marlin, I just havent handled one yet.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5669 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Ive handled them. Its a cheap gun but a serviceable one. Its not one i personally have any use for as i would rather use a surplus war gun like a mosin 91/30 if i was looking for a cheap but reliable shooter for plinking and hunting.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

A mosin would be fine I guess. I like that they are somewhat historical but I dont like to shoot them that much.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #6

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Been monitoring any post about the Ruger American on this and other gunsites since they first appeared in stores around here. Handled a few of them in stores, but have not seen one at range I'm a member to ask its owner about it.

My first impression of the rifle when holding a 30-06. Thought to myself, seemed OK, fit me well when I shouldered it, like the way bolt made and how it worked in action. However, rifle stock seemed flimsy to me and rifle was so lightweight to me, thought to myself, don't think I'd want an American in 30-06. Own 4 or so 30-06s myself and mine are certainly a lot heavier than the American and they have a decent recoil....shooting a light weight American in 30-06 didn't appeal to me.

In short, the posts I've read from American owners has been positive about them. Ruger did OK with this entry priced rifle.