Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > ruger american?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Its budget, get a Hawkeye... they are a ruged bit of gear for hunting, or Rem700.. my 2c.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Off subject but ruger also has a very good customer service. Real people on the phones and will make most problems right very quickly

Old 10-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5122 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Im not trying to bust your balls just making sure you know what your getting so you can make an informed decision. The ruger american is pretty impressive for a budget deer gun.

You can zero it however you wish. But hunting guns should always be cold bore zeroed.

Cold bore zero means just that fire one shot. Wait 10 minutes. 20 if it is hot out. Fire another. Wait. Fire again.

Heat distorts bullet impact in any gun. How much depends on construction. After all your not going to sit in a hide blind stand shoot four or five times with the trophy in front of you, your going to fire one cold bore shot.

I see it all the time at the local range i attend. Just last weekend there was a father and son bitching about how crappy last season was, how many deer they missed, how crappy their brand new remington 700's were. What they were doing was firing 10-15 rounds in a row to zero. Group sizes started about 2" at 100 and opened up to 18+" due to heat and lack of skill.

I asked what they used last year. They traded off a pair of pre-64 model 70 winchesters in 30-06 their grandfather gave them. for two low end remingtons because the winchesters were shooting all over the paper...

A hunting barrel is a hunting barrel. Its for one cold shot at a time. You can shoot it faster to a point but its not what the gun is designed to do.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-16-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #24

Liked 1088 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Im not trying to bust your balls just making sure you know what your getting so you can make an informed decision. The ruger american is pretty impressive for a budget deer gun.

You can zero it however you wish. But hunting guns should always be cold bore zeroed.

Cold bore zero means just that fire one shot. Wait 10 minutes. 20 if it is hot out. Fire another. Wait. Fire again.

Heat distorts bullet impact in any gun. How much depends on construction. After all your not going to sit in a hide blind stand shoot four or five times with the trophy in front of you, your going to fire one cold bore shot.

I see it all the time at the local range i attend. Just last weekend there was a father and son bitching about how crappy last season was, how many deer they missed, how crappy their brand new remington 700's were. What they were doing was firing 10-15 rounds in a row to zero. Group sizes started about 2" at 100 and opened up to 18+" due to heat and lack of skill.

I asked what they used last year. They traded off a pair of pre-64 model 70 winchesters in 30-06 their grandfather gave them. for two low end remingtons because the winchesters were shooting all over the paper...

A hunting barrel is a hunting barrel. Its for one cold shot at a time. You can shoot it faster to a point but its not what the gun is designed to do.
That was very informative JonM, thank you. I didn't know that info. So, when I get a new scope for my Remington 721 I'll know to take one shot and wait. Thanks again.

Last edited by Fathead00; 10-16-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #25

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

Thank you sir u just tought me alot. So what should i buy as far as a shooting naked rifle that i can long rang target shoot repeatedly and have it also double as a hunting rifle?