Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > ruger american?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
I fixed it fer ya. It is a bolt action
Nope ya screwed it up even more.

No biggie. It is an ENTRY LEVEL rifle

Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5331 Times on 2783 Posts
Likes Given: 339

ruger has always been made in america. bill ruger stole the design for the original ruger 22 pistol from the japanese nambu. he was a talented copycat but only a so-so gun designer. it wasnt until his passing that ruger has really developed into a great gun company.

ruger tends to copy other designs and they tend to improve them. for example they copied the original colt saa peacemaker and improved it making it stronger more user friendly safer more ergonomic multi caliber while retaining the look and feel.

the ruger american is a cheaper version of their m77 hawkeye. they cut a lot of costs using cheaper materials and such to produce a budget concious deer rifle. it serves that role very damn well. just dont expect target style accuracy. its a gun that is designed to fire one shot, put a whitetail down, then get put away for the day.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-14-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #13

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
ruger has always been made in america. bill ruger stole the design for the original ruger 22 pistol from the japanese nambu. he was a talented copycat but only a so-so gun designer. it wasnt until his passing that ruger has really developed into a great gun company.

ruger tends to copy other designs and they tend to improve them. for example they copied the original colt saa peacemaker and improved it making it stronger more user friendly safer more ergonomic multi caliber while retaining the look and feel.

the ruger american is a cheaper version of their m77 hawkeye. they cut a lot of costs using cheaper materials and such to produce a budget concious deer rifle. it serves that role very damn well. just dont expect target style accuracy. its a gun that is designed to fire one shot, put a whitetail down, then get put away for the day.
The one ive found is not a single shot rifle it is a bolt action tho... i wanna be able to make a target gun basically a sniper but apperently with what yall r telling me its not the one im looking for

Old 10-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5331 Times on 2783 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88 View Post
The one ive found is not a single shot rifle it is a bolt action tho... i wanna be able to make a target gun basically a sniper but apperently with what yall r telling me its not the one im looking for
i know it holds a couple of rounds but its not a gun designed for rapid firing or even multiple shots without an extended cool down period.

it would be a terrible choice for a precision long range build.

look at the savage 10 and 110. you can get a reciever and build from scratch with a few simple tools. its the ar15 of the boltgun world. you dont need to worry about reamers to set head space with he savage 10/110 series. you just need a barrel vise and reciever wrench and a go and nogo gage set and a savage barrel nut wrench.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #15

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

i know it holds a couple of rounds but its not a gun designed for rapid firing or even multiple shots without an extended cool down period.

it would be a terrible choice for a precision long range build.

look at the savage 10 and 110. you can get a reciever and build from scratch with a few simple tools. its the ar15 of the boltgun world. you dont need to worry about reamers to set head space with he savage 10/110 series. you just need a barrel vise and reciever wrench and a go and nogo gage set and a savage barrel nut wrench.
How r u supposed to zero a scope in if u cant fire this rifle repeatedly

Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2613 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88 View Post
How r u supposed to zero a scope in if u cant fire this rifle repeatedly
Many, if not most, bolt action rifles are designed to shoot one or two accurate rounds at a game animal. They do that very well. When the barrel heats up the subsequent shots are not as accurate. If you want a rifle that will "hold zero" for 10-20 consecutive shots you are looking to pay top dollar for a custom built, custom barrelled, very heavy, not very portable rifle.

Kind of like expecting a showroom stock car to stay in one piece at top speed for 500 miles. An Indy car or NASCAR racing machine is about as far from a road legal car as you can get both in performance and price.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #17
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2010 Times on 1092 Posts
Likes Given: 724

It is has Ruger's name on it, feel comfortable buying it.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #18

Why don't we look at what people who have had hands on with it say.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #19

Is this a target rifle? No it is not a target rifle that you can put one bullet on top of another all day and night.

This rifle is an entry level hunting rifle and it fills that bill better than the Savage, and Remington offerings.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88
Im trying to get some pros and cons on the ruger american rifles i found one in 308 which is exactly what i want i just dont know much about ruger firearms cause im more of an american made kinda guy
I have a Ruger American Rifle in 308 cal. I like the features of these guns for the money. I am planning on getting one in 30- 06 in the next few weeks. Like several others have said, the first two rounds are 1/2 to 1 moa at 100 yards. But the third round will fly a little but still good enough for about a 2 moa. So if you want a target gun, you might want to look at Remington 700 sps varmit. The heavy barrel will shoot groups as good as you and the ammo are. I have an sps in 308 with 26" barrel also and it is great for target shooting. But it will likely cost you over twice what the Ruger American Rifle will. Depends on what you really want to do -- kill Bamby or punch nice groups of holes in paper-- as to whether it is right for your needs. Sounds like killing Bamby is not your priority.