Ruger African or Alaskan ?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger African or Alaskan ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Ruger African or Alaskan ?

How much difference in range, trajectory, and impact power would there be in the .375 Ruger between the 23" barrel African vrs. the 20" barrel Alaskan. Can anyone post a chart? Also anyone know if Ruger is looking at making the African in the All-Weather Hawkeye model? Thanks R-BOLT

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm completely clueless, but I'm going to follow this thread to learn some stuff.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-08-2010, 06:30 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hornady developed the load to perform in the 20" barrel. You might gain a smidgen with the 23". I would go with the stainless Alaskan, but Hey, I live in Alaska. I like short barrels, stainless steel, and fat bullets. Makes big critters fall DOWN. Whatever your choice I'm sure you'll love it and pity the poor fools who went the other way. Luck.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have read that also that Hornady developed the 375 Ruger with the 20" barrel. I still would like to see the ballistics with the 23" barrel. On Hornady's web sit the ballistics quoted are with a 24" barrel. I find that rather odd. I plan on checking with ruger or the ruger forum when I get a little time. Will post info, as I get it. I now have 2 Ruger Hawkeyes in the all weather mode and stainless steel barrels. It is my preference also.