Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger 77/22 in .22 Hornet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger 77/22 in .22 Hornet

I am looking at buying this rifle for shooting varmints, likely 150 yds and in. I'm not a knowledgeable gun person although I own several. There are 2 models of this rifle available. One has a 20" barrel and the other a 24" stainless steel barrel. What effect does the length of the barrel have on accuracy?

Another .22 Hornet I like is the CZ-527 American. Does anyone have experience with this rifle, and how would it compare to the Ruger in terms of quality and accuracy? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1744 Times on 949 Posts
Likes Given: 547

I dont know about the Ruger but the CZ is a very nice rifle. Mine is almost to pretty to take out. The set trigger is a great feature for precision shots. The trigger will work as a normal trigger if you dont want to set it. To set just push the trigger forward and you will hear a click. Then keep your finger off of it until you are lined up and ready to shoot. I blew quite a few shots at first because I put my finger on it too soon. In 22 Hornet I would go with the 20" barrel but that is me. The longer barrel may also be heavier/thicker. If they are both the same taper the shorter one will likely be more accurate.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20073 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahog12 View Post
I am looking at buying this rifle for shooting varmints, likely 150 yds and in. I'm not a knowledgeable gun person although I own several. There are 2 models of this rifle available. One has a 20" barrel and the other a 24" stainless steel barrel. What effect does the length of the barrel have on accuracy?

Another .22 Hornet I like is the CZ-527 American. Does anyone have experience with this rifle, and how would it compare to the Ruger in terms of quality and accuracy? Thanks.
barrel length doesn't just by itself add accuracy. depends on many different variables. bullet length, a complete powder burn, barrel twist and ect. so a 24" barrel might not be any more accurate than the 20" barrel, but it might be. every cartridge is different as well as are different loads.

now if the 24" barrel is a heavy varmint barrel it would also be possible it will have less barrel harmonics that a slender barrel. it also will heat up slower which will mean it's more accurate for more shots than the more slender barreled version. now the tradeoff is the heavier barreled rifle is heavier to carry if you are using it that way. heavy barreled rifles are more suited to static type hunting or bench shooting. sporter barreled rifles are lighter and more suited to carrying for longer distances.

the CZ 527 is one excellent rifle in regards to accuracy and quality. IMO, and as much as i like Rugers and own several, i would have to say the CZ is just a little higher in quality.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #4

Liked 674 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 681

An old friend had a Ruger. What a friggin nightmare. 4" groups at 100 yards. He sent it off to a Smith in Conn to have it worked on and accurized. The best he could get out of it, even w/ handloads was 2". Not good for a Varmint rifle. Besides the original cost of the rifle, he put $250.00 more into it. It really PO'ed him when he fired my Browning A-bolt .22WMR and it easily outshot his Ruger. His trigger that had work did not even come close. I do have a CZ527 Varminter in .223, and as JTJ said, it is a very nice rifle. The action was a little rough at 1st chambering, but it is great now.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #5

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm not a real serious gunner. Just looking to call in some fox and coyotes-something to do in the dead of winter. I am hearing a lot of good things about the CZ-527 and it is less money than the Ruger. But the difference isn't all that much. Chances are I will not be hand loading unless I can't get good results from factory ammo. Someday, maybe, but not till I get the free time if I can ever retire.

I have an old Remington model 722 in a .257 Roberts but I want something w/out the recoil so I can see impact. Also don't want to be waking up the neighbors at dawn on a weekend.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #6

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The Ruger 77 .22 Hornet is a very poor choice. This is nothing more than a .22 rim fire poorly converted to a center fire. The bolts 2 pc. design does not provide rigid support for the CF ammunition. There are companies that sell shims to tighten the loose bolts.
The CZ 527 a short rigid Mauser with a single set trigger is a fine fire arm. This is a firearm that you will be glad you bought.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The Ruger 77 .22 Hornet is a very poor choice. This is nothing more than a .22 rim fire poorly converted to a center fire. The bolts 2 pc. design does not provide rigid support for the CF ammunition. There are companies that sell shims to tighten the loose bolts.
The CZ 527 a short rigid Mauser with a single set trigger is a fine fire arm. This is a firearm that you will be glad you bought.
Thanks for the reply. I have read some good reviews on the Ruger, though, although some poor ones as well. I don't think I've heard anything bad about the CZ-527 except that some think it is ugly with the magazine hanging out from underneath. I didn't even think about that till I read the comments from some other people.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:46 AM   #8

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The CZ 527 I have seen on the range were not as ugly as the pot bellied pale skinned old men shooting them.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #9

Liked 860 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 523

For less money, I would take the CZ. For even money, I would take the CZ. For a little more money I would take the CZ. Which is a shame for me to say, because Ruger is based in my state. I personally like the mag hanging down look. Seems like usually, you can get a low capacity mag that sits flush, though.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5216 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 4449

CZ.

With the moderate velocity of the Hornet, a 20 or 22 inch barrel would be ideal.

Golda Meier.