Ruger .44 Mag. Deerstalkers - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger .44 Mag. Deerstalkers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2025 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Everyone here seems to think a smaller and smaller weapons are adequate for deer hunting. A 22 magnum will knock a deer down first time every time at 100 yards. Why bother with a 30/06? Just use a 22 magnum! That is exactly what the caliber arguments sound like.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 05-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Everyone here seems to think a smaller and smaller weapons are adequate for deer hunting. A 22 magnum will knock a deer down first time every time at 100 yards. Why bother with a 30/06? Just use a 22 magnum! That is exactly what the caliber arguments sound like.
some states do have minimum caliber limitations and for the most part i agree with them. some states leave it to the discretion of the hunter to use common sense and good judgement.

Texas doesn't have a caliber limitation as long as it's a centerfire cartridge. legally, i could deer hunt with a 17 Remington, but common sense tell me that's not using good judgement nor acting in a humane and ethical manner as a hunter.

yes, there are people who hunt deer with a 22 Magnum. we call them poachers! and poaching is illegal last i remember, and carries heavy fines and penalties. so the 22 Magnum reference is just not a valid argument in this case.

personally if i still deer hunted, i wouldn't use something as small as a 223 to hunt deer with. personally my minimum when i did hunt was a 243.

but using good stalking skills or waiting until the deer was in much closer is hunting form a blind, using the proper ammo, and using proper shot placement, people do successfully take deer humanely with the smaller calibers.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1310 Times on 893 Posts
Likes Given: 1373

I don`t know how to comment on this one, I seem to agree & disagree with every post. If I could legally use a .22 Rimfire Mag. I would, in Mo. we can use any center fire round, so I could legally use a .25 acp, but that would just be stupid, I use a .308 & if you think the .44 mag. imparts more energy on target than the .30 WCF then your just HIGH, & comparing the .458 SOCOM to the .44 mag. & the .30 WCF, thats a little off if you ask me, thats like comparing a .22 LR to a .308 its just a little nuts. My dad never used anything but a .243 Win. & I seen him drop em two at a time in their tracks SXS, well I`m done picking on every body, I`ll let someone else rant !.....................

When all else fails.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
I don`t know how to comment on this one, I seem to agree & disagree with every post. If I could legally use a .22 Rimfire Mag. I would, in Mo. we can use any center fire round, so I could legally use a .25 acp, but that would just be stupid, I use a .308 & if you think the .44 mag. imparts more energy on target than the .30 WCF then your just HIGH, & comparing the .458 SOCOM to the .44 mag. & the .30 WCF, thats a little off if you ask me, thats like comparing a .22 LR to a .308 its just a little nuts. My dad never used anything but a .243 Win. & I seen him drop em two at a time in their tracks SXS, well I`m done picking on every body, I`ll let someone else rant !.....................
pretty well said Tom.

i have used many different calibers for deer hunting over the years. i started with a 243 that was my father's rifle and when i left home, the first rifle i bought for deer hunting was a bolt action 30-06. i have never hunted deer with a pistol or a rifle in a pistol cartridge, but at one time i wanted to try it out, but never got around to it for some reason. i hunted a few times with a shotgun and slugs, but never did kill one with it. every deer i have ever took was with some sort of rifle.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #25

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Within 100 yards a 44 Mag from a rifle is every bit as effective as a 30/30. Energy figures are fine, but they ignore bullet frontal area, which the 44 has in spades. However, a conventional 44 Mag bullet is about as aerodynamic as a tuna can and trajectory limitations restrict effective range to about 100 - 125 yards. The 30/30 will reach somewhat farther.

The most common version of the original Ruger 44 carbine had the folding open sight. A few were made with the peep sight and are now a sought after configuration for collectors.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2025 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
Within 100 yards a 44 Mag from a rifle is every bit as effective as a 30/30. Energy figures are fine, but they ignore bullet frontal area, which the 44 has in spades. However, a conventional 44 Mag bullet is about as aerodynamic as a tuna can and trajectory limitations restrict effective range to about 100 - 125 yards. The 30/30 will reach somewhat farther.

The most common version of the original Ruger 44 carbine had the folding open sight. A few were made with the peep sight and are now a sought after configuration for collectors.
Not a valid arguement!! A 30/30 beats a 44mag any way shake it, energy on the target, CUP, bullet design (ballistic coefficient). Only the very hottest 44 mag loads even get close to the cheapest, least effective 30/30 ammo. Anything you can do to a 44 mag to make it more effective you can do the same thing to a 30/30.

A 44mag will take a deer humanely if you are frikin saint in shot selection and nothing unpredictable happens . But please get off trying to compare a 44mag to a 30/30. People have developed a whole new cartridge to gain the difference between a 44mag and a 30/30.

There is no law in NC against taking deer with a rimfire. Even if there was I doubt any game warden in the state would enforce it. We are so over populated with deer in NC the game warden told me he has found a sporting use for tactical nuclear weapons. When I am squirrel hunting and a deer wants to commit suicide I am more than happy to oblige it. We all have seen it, the deer walks up about 10 yards away and stares at you. That is why I use a 22 wmr when I am squirrel hunting. Plus in old growth forests the trees are tall enough unless you are shooting straight up you would have to hold over to hit a squirrel with a 22LR.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 05-15-2014, 04:48 AM   #27

Location: South of the Mason Dixon Line, Ha! South Florida actually.
Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Hey Hookeye: Love the post, reminds me of my old man R.I.P. He was all about mass and impact. When I was a kid I tried to argue, the Weatherby side of the equation, speed and all that, he simply looked at me and called it a bunch of hokum that could be easily deflected in the brush.

Cheers,

Julio

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." – Henry Ford

Old 05-15-2014, 06:17 AM   #28

Liked 106 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 12

This thread sure did drift off subject ..........................

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Thucydides circa 460 bc - c. 400 bc

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo View Post
This thread sure did drift off subject ..........................
Rogue, thread drift is a natural occurence here on this forum.

it's not only expected, but encouraged!

we have started new threads because of thread drift before, that have led to some great discussions about things. some fun, some informative.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #30
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3356 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Has anyone Ever shot deer with a 44 Mag., or a 357Mag.? My uncle did it regularly with his Ruger 44 Carbine, back up by a S&W Mod. 29...it was his favorite "Heavy Brush" gun....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...