Ruger .44 Mag. Deerstalkers

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger .44 Mag. Deerstalkers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 05:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: South of the Mason Dixon Line, Ha! South Florida actually.
Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default Ruger .44 Mag. Deerstalkers

Hello everyone. I am the very proud owner of an old Ruger .44 mag. carbine., my Dad bought in 1962. He hunted the heck out of it, and I as its proud inheritor also do so. It has a unique feature, a Lyman receiver mounted, micrometer peep sight. Better than a scope in the brush. I know Ruger re-released it some years ago, but it had a flip down sight on the barrel, like my M-77. The other day I saw a carbine at auction, it had the flip sight, and I asked the seller about its age. I was told it was original from the "old original series." I was left wondering. Does anyone know if the originals (1960's) also came with a flip sight or was I being sold a bill of goods.

All input is welcome.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2142 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 796

I would call Ruger. Pistol caliber carbines were not that popular in the 1960's. I never saw anyone other than a police officer with a pistol caliber carbine until recently. Even a 44 mag carbine is marginal for hunting.

People defended their homes with their hunting rifle or shotgun. It wasn't like today were everyone has to have a specialized weapon for everything they do. People could actually navigate a hallway with a shotgun equipped with a 30" barrel.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

DrFootball Likes This 
Old 05-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 12

This might help; has a serial number lookup

http://www.shootingwithjim.com/ruger-44-carbine.htm

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Thucydides circa 460 bc - c. 400 bc

DrFootball Likes This 
Old 05-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

John: I respect your opinion. But a .240 grain hollow-point out of an 18" barrel is a helluva thing inside of 75 yards. I never said it was sniper good, but it is hell on pigs and deer.

Thanks.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Hey Rogue: Thanks a bunch, I just went and looked it up. According to Jim mine is a 1970 model. I have doubts about that because I was born in '65 and i have recollections pre 1970 and Dad's Ruger was high amongst them. She and his sxs where his pride and joy, besides mom, the dog and myself, in that order, although I think the german shorthair's rank was classified. Anyway I tried Ruger two weeks ago and their customer service link was not working. They said to try again. End sum it is not really important, more of a curiosity about the flip down sight. Me, Hell, I am lucky to own the finest brush gun ever made. Ask anybody that owns one.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:39 AM   #6

Liked 109 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I do own one LOL (also with the flip up sight) with the matching early Redhawk. They make a great pair in thick brush

img_1193.jpg   img_1194.jpg   img_1006.jpg  

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Thucydides circa 460 bc - c. 400 bc

DrFootball Likes This 
Old 05-11-2014, 05:35 AM   #7

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

My grandpa had one made in 1973 and it has a peep sight too. Like you said, its a great gun inside 75 yards.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:37 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I would call Ruger. Pistol caliber carbines were not that popular in the 1960's. I never saw anyone other than a police officer with a pistol caliber carbine until recently. Even a 44 mag carbine is marginal for hunting.

People defended their homes with their hunting rifle or shotgun. It wasn't like today were everyone has to have a specialized weapon for everything they do. People could actually navigate a hallway with a shotgun equipped with a 30" barrel.
44mag out of a rifle barrel is a better deer cartridge than a 30-30 at 100yards, typical deer range. It hits harder. Even out of a revolver its a damn fine deer cartridge and better than a 243 which is a common used round on deer but is about like a 223 in effectiveness.

There are rifle cartridges you will.do worse with deer hunting than using a 44magnum.

44magnum is widely used in wisconsin out of pistols rifles and carbines for deer hunting. Deer hit with a 44 usually don't go much further than dropping where they stand.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 05-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Hi Rogue: That is one pretty Red hawk. But I think my pair is check mate. The Super Black Hawk is the king of the mountain.

Julio

003.jpg  

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." – Henry Ford

oO_Rogue_Oo Likes This 
Old 05-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2142 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
44mag out of a rifle barrel is a better deer cartridge than a 30-30 at 100yards, typical deer range. It hits harder. Even out of a revolver its a damn fine deer cartridge and better than a 243 which is a common used round on deer but is about like a 223 in effectiveness.

There are rifle cartridges you will.do worse with deer hunting than using a 44magnum.

44magnum is widely used in wisconsin out of pistols rifles and carbines for deer hunting. Deer hit with a 44 usually don't go much further than dropping where they stand.
The 44 mag isn't in the same ballpark as a 30/30 even when fired from a rifle. Most 30/30 cartridges deliver almost twice the energy as a 44 mag fired from an 18" barrel. Hunters are not as stupid as you might think. If a 44 mag was superior to a 30/30 every hunter would have a 44 mag carbine. 44 ammo is less expensive than 30/30 ammo.

I am not going to clutter this thread with a bunch of math. You can go to ballistics by the inch and see the energy of a 44 mag fired from a rifle and you can see the ballistics of the 30/30 at ballistics101. Plus with a 30/30 you have a soft point bullet with a much better ballistic coefficient than any bullet you can get for a 44 mag.

Then you want to say a 223 is just as effective as a 243. That is another thread.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Last edited by John_Deer; 05-11-2014 at 11:50 AM.
303tom Likes This