Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Ruger .44 Mag. Deerstalkers (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ruger-44-mag-deerstalkers-106899/)

Julio 05-10-2014 04:34 AM

Ruger .44 Mag. Deerstalkers

Hello everyone. I am the very proud owner of an old Ruger .44 mag. carbine., my Dad bought in 1962. He hunted the heck out of it, and I as its proud inheritor also do so. It has a unique feature, a Lyman receiver mounted, micrometer peep sight. Better than a scope in the brush. I know Ruger re-released it some years ago, but it had a flip down sight on the barrel, like my M-77. The other day I saw a carbine at auction, it had the flip sight, and I asked the seller about its age. I was told it was original from the "old original series." I was left wondering. Does anyone know if the originals (1960's) also came with a flip sight or was I being sold a bill of goods.

All input is welcome. :confused:

John_Deer 05-10-2014 05:27 AM

I would call Ruger. Pistol caliber carbines were not that popular in the 1960's. I never saw anyone other than a police officer with a pistol caliber carbine until recently. Even a 44 mag carbine is marginal for hunting.

People defended their homes with their hunting rifle or shotgun. It wasn't like today were everyone has to have a specialized weapon for everything they do. People could actually navigate a hallway with a shotgun equipped with a 30" barrel.

oO_Rogue_Oo 05-10-2014 06:12 AM

This might help; has a serial number lookup

http://www.shootingwithjim.com/ruger-44-carbine.htm

Julio 05-10-2014 06:23 AM

John: I respect your opinion. But a .240 grain hollow-point out of an 18" barrel is a helluva thing inside of 75 yards. I never said it was sniper good, but it is hell on pigs and deer.

Thanks.

Julio 05-10-2014 06:34 AM

Hey Rogue: Thanks a bunch, I just went and looked it up. According to Jim mine is a 1970 model. I have doubts about that because I was born in '65 and i have recollections pre 1970 and Dad's Ruger was high amongst them. She and his sxs where his pride and joy, besides mom, the dog and myself, in that order, although I think the german shorthair's rank was classified. Anyway I tried Ruger two weeks ago and their customer service link was not working. They said to try again. End sum it is not really important, more of a curiosity about the flip down sight. Me, Hell, I am lucky to own the finest brush gun ever made. Ask anybody that owns one.

oO_Rogue_Oo 05-11-2014 03:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I do own one LOL (also with the flip up sight) with the matching early Redhawk. They make a great pair in thick brush :)

Winchester94 05-11-2014 04:35 AM

My grandpa had one made in 1973 and it has a peep sight too. Like you said, its a great gun inside 75 yards.

JonM 05-11-2014 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1573371)
I would call Ruger. Pistol caliber carbines were not that popular in the 1960's. I never saw anyone other than a police officer with a pistol caliber carbine until recently. Even a 44 mag carbine is marginal for hunting.

People defended their homes with their hunting rifle or shotgun. It wasn't like today were everyone has to have a specialized weapon for everything they do. People could actually navigate a hallway with a shotgun equipped with a 30" barrel.

44mag out of a rifle barrel is a better deer cartridge than a 30-30 at 100yards, typical deer range. It hits harder. Even out of a revolver its a damn fine deer cartridge and better than a 243 which is a common used round on deer but is about like a 223 in effectiveness.

There are rifle cartridges you will.do worse with deer hunting than using a 44magnum.

44magnum is widely used in wisconsin out of pistols rifles and carbines for deer hunting. Deer hit with a 44 usually don't go much further than dropping where they stand.

Julio 05-11-2014 06:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Rogue: That is one pretty Red hawk. But I think my pair is check mate. ;) The Super Black Hawk is the king of the mountain.

Julio

John_Deer 05-11-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1573833)
44mag out of a rifle barrel is a better deer cartridge than a 30-30 at 100yards, typical deer range. It hits harder. Even out of a revolver its a damn fine deer cartridge and better than a 243 which is a common used round on deer but is about like a 223 in effectiveness.

There are rifle cartridges you will.do worse with deer hunting than using a 44magnum.

44magnum is widely used in wisconsin out of pistols rifles and carbines for deer hunting. Deer hit with a 44 usually don't go much further than dropping where they stand.

The 44 mag isn't in the same ballpark as a 30/30 even when fired from a rifle. Most 30/30 cartridges deliver almost twice the energy as a 44 mag fired from an 18" barrel. Hunters are not as stupid as you might think. If a 44 mag was superior to a 30/30 every hunter would have a 44 mag carbine. 44 ammo is less expensive than 30/30 ammo.

I am not going to clutter this thread with a bunch of math. You can go to ballistics by the inch and see the energy of a 44 mag fired from a rifle and you can see the ballistics of the 30/30 at ballistics101. Plus with a 30/30 you have a soft point bullet with a much better ballistic coefficient than any bullet you can get for a 44 mag.

Then you want to say a 223 is just as effective as a 243. That is another thread.