Ruger 10/22 vs. Mosin-Nagant
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger 10/22 vs. Mosin-Nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger 10/22 vs. Mosin-Nagant

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am getting a first gun in the very near future, and I am considering either of the aforementioned rifles. I will be using it for target shooting. What are your opinions?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2011, 05:19 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Personally...both. Neither are expensive rifles to acquire and the ammo for each is relatively inexpensive, at least the surplus commie stuff for the Mosin. The 10/22 is a hoot to plink with especially if you have limited access to an outdoor range. The Mosin shoots a heavier round but is still a fun plinker yet can reach out a bit longer than the Ruger...my next rifle purchase will probably be a Mosin

BTW, welcome to the forum. Many of our newer members find it helpful to post in the Intro thread...lets folks get to know a bit about you and may get some additional replies to your post. Lots of 10/22 and Mosin owners round these parts...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

basically you're asking us to compare apples to carrots.here we go. if i only had one gun it would be a 22. if i were to get one now and another later i'd get the 22 first. a 22 will always be more versatile, easier to shoot, cheaper to shoot, and kick less. specificly the 1022 is one of the most adaptable and upgradable guns to be had.flip side. the moisin is probably the most reliable machine since the wheel. they've worked in every extreme from russian winters to 'nam monsoons. right now long russian thurty is cheap but one stroke of the obamapen can change that.

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 07-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8926 Times on 3867 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

Should I buy a Mo-ped, or a tractor trailer? Depends on what you want to do with it. As he said up there, totally different weapons, with different uses. You are NOT going to fire that M/N on a 50 ft indoor range, and you are not going to shoot that 10-22 at 400 meters.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWNagel View Post
Hello,

This is my first post here. I am getting a first gun in the very near future, and I am considering either of the aforementioned rifles. I will be using it for target shooting. What are your opinions?

Thanks!
Get the Ruger and learn the basics of rifle shooting with a nice .22. Ultra cheap ammo and no recoil to speak off.

Tough to master trigger control for a newbie with the buck and roar of a MN. You can graduate to center fire when you have the basics solid.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If I was only going to buy one or the other, I would get the Ruger.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you're going to be limited to indoor ranges then I would choose the Ruger 10/22. If you can go to outdoor ranges I would choose the Mosin Nagant. Now that's just me, but in your case I would go with the Ruger 10/22 first to learn the basics of shooting, and then consider moving up to the Mosin Nagant. The Mosin Nagant's are also very cheap to own so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one. If you have the money I'd personally get both .

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #8

Your question is like asking"I want to play golf with one club.Should it be a putter or a driver?' Buy the 10/22

Last edited by vincev; 07-10-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

10/22..............no-brainer!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

EVERYONE should have a 10-22 in their arms room. It is a good, reliable, reasonably accurate, easily accessorized, American made rifle. Ammunition will be available long after the Mosin ammo has dried up. The Mosin can kick like the proverbial mule and is not a good choice for a first gun.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball