Ruger #1 Single Shot
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ruger #1 Single Shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #1

Default Ruger #1 Single Shot

I am seriously thinking of buying a Ruger # 1 single shot. They have a strong and reliable action and they sure are nice to look at. My only concern is accuracy. I realize the caliber chosen might make some difference. I am looking at the 7x57 Mauser. This is an inherently accurate round as I have had good accuracy fromit even in old model 96 military guns.
If you have some experience w/ the Ruger single shot, regardless of caliber, what has been you experience with accuracy. Will the Ruger single ever compare to a bolt action accuracy wise?
cottontop

And, Merry Christmas everybody!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 681

I had a 1A in 30-06 and it was accurate. 1MOA- with handloads. It had 4 deer to its credit. Unfortunately I had to sell it when I had some tough financial times. It had a really nice stock that was a twin for the stock on my Red Label 20 gauge. I sold them as a pair for a lot more than I paid for them.
The 7x57 is one of the great cartridges of the world. Factory loads and loading data is for the older rifles. I believe there is some #1 specific loading data that is hotter. There was some very specific data for the 45-70 in the #3.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

I had a #1 for several years in 300WM.It was pretty accurate,and would shoot right around MOA with handloads.
From what I've seen'#1's either shoot good or they don't.There are a few things that can be done to them if they don't shoot good that will help them come around.

They are some beautiful guns.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #4

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 790

Great rifles!! Great cartridge!! Merry Christmas to you also.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #5

Default Ruger S.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I had a #1 for several years in 300WM.It was pretty accurate,and would shoot right around MOA with handloads.
From what I've seen'#1's either shoot good or they don't.There are a few things that can be done to them if they don't shoot good that will help them come around.

They are some beautiful guns.
Tx,
If I do get the Ruger, I would like to discuss with you via pm's what can be done to help accuracy if it needs it. Would that be ok w/ you?
cottontop

Old 12-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Tx,
If I do get the Ruger, I would like to discuss with you via pm's what can be done to help accuracy if it needs it. Would that be ok w/ you?
cottontop
You can google Ruger #1 accuracy problems and probably find all the info.It just has to do with shimming the fore stock.I never had to try it on mine,but I did come across a few articles that talked and had pictures of what they were doing to them.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #7

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I had a #1 in .243. I have never shot a better rifle. I could hit a half dollar at 300 yards with it. If I had a better scope and better eyes I know I could have done even more with it. Some day I will get anouther one but maybe in something alil heavyer than a .243

Old 12-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #8

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

for the price of a brand new rifle you could actually get a T/C encore pluse one barrel so you would really have two guns for the price of one with pretty good accuracy that would also be single shot. Also you have a ton of more caliber options for a pretty nice little price.

My dad use to have a ruger no.1 light sport in 30-06 we never really shot it past 200 yrds and I had groupings the size of quarter off a bench. Pretty much the same results with a T/C encore in the same caliber

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1499 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 3238

Default Good for Ruger

One thing I love about Ruger is they make rifles for the older popular rounds like 7x57 and .303 British. Those are two of the best calibers ever (and my personal favorites) and tough find in a new gun. A Ruger#1 in 7x57 would be a really nice gun.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #10

Default single shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
for the price of a brand new rifle you could actually get a T/C encore pluse one barrel so you would really have two guns for the price of one with pretty good accuracy that would also be single shot. Also you have a ton of more caliber options for a pretty nice little price.

My dad use to have a ruger no.1 light sport in 30-06 we never really shot it past 200 yrds and I had groupings the size of quarter off a bench. Pretty much the same results with a T/C encore in the same caliber

Thanks for the info. I actually considered the T/C, but I (and please don't be offended) just can't get past the looks. I know they are good guns, but they remind me too much of the cheap old topper single shot shotguns my dad gave me to use when I was a kid going pheasant hunting with him and his friends and they all had shiny Browning automatic 5's, Superposed's, Remington 11-48's, and the like; and I had my cheap butt ugly 20 gauge topper. Now that I am older (much older I am sorry to say) and can afford it, I want something functional and pretty.
cottontop