Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   The Rugar No. 1 in .45-70 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/rugar-no-1-45-70-a-25683/)

JoeParker 04-05-2010 11:59 PM

The Rugar No. 1 in .45-70

Hello all.

I am considering purchasing a Rugar No. 1 in .45-70 caliber. I've read a great deal of positive things about this weapon verses other single shot .45-70s. However I would like more input before I make a decision.

Do any of you all own a No. 1 in .45-70? If so, what's you opinion on the rifle?

Thanks for the input.

Txhillbilly 04-06-2010 01:11 AM

Joe,my #1 is a 300WinMag and has always been a great gun.Beautiful wood,and shoots decent. Ruger #1's are excellent guns,but some shoot good,some don't,but there are several things that can be done to them to improve the accuracy of the ones that don't shoot that good.

Ruger #1's were never designed to be precision target rifles,but are great hunting rifles,and shoot minute of game all day long.

robocop10mm 04-06-2010 12:28 PM

A good friend of mine has a #1 in .45-70. It is incredibly accurate out to 400 yards. If I had the money laying around, I would have one.

TexasPatriot.308 04-07-2010 01:25 AM

I just bought me a No. 1V in .22-250 with a heavy barrel, gonna put some good optics, the Varminter is supposed to be a shooter, for the price I sure hope it is, anyway I love the beauty of the #1, years ago I had two #3s, wished I still had them, one a .22 hornet other a .223, both with even really good optics including good Luepolds would not shoot worth a darn.

cpttango30 04-07-2010 11:51 AM

We had a 22-250 and it shot like a shotgun. It was a simple fix I found after my dad sold it.

If your #1 is not shooting good There is a simple fix out there somewhere. I can't find it right now. It involves something with the fore arm.

whirley 04-07-2010 01:31 PM

Whirley

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 265118)
A good friend of mine has a #1 in .45-70. It is incredibly accurate out to 400 yards. If I had the money laying around, I would have one.

Many years ago I was lucky enough to purchase a Ruger #1 in 45/70 in a presentation walnut case. Dealer was retiring and closing his business. It came with a vernier aperature sight. It has all the accessories included in compartments. My son has shot it a 1000 yards with handloads, cast bullets. Surprisingly accurate. Of course mid range trajectory is really something. Factory loads are kept way down, because manufacturers are aware that people will shoot them in trapdoor rifles. Try it, you'll like it!

Dcomf 04-07-2010 08:17 PM

I've had a #1 in 45-70 for about 14 years now. A good little gun for the most part but for the price involved the fit and finish should be better. The barrel has the standard bluing but the receiver has a purple hue to it in direct light, almost like a case hardened look. Checkering is so-so with lines overrun. It is accurate with standard factory fodder and more so with handloads. The standard sights are useless with very little adjustment for a round that drops as much as it does. You are forced to place your face way down on the comb to get any good sight picture and that affects felt recoil. It now sports a simple 4x scope which raises your face up enough.

Patrick Sperry 04-08-2010 01:49 AM

I've never owned one, but Neil and I are going to start a Ruger # 1 Club in 35 Whelan! Anyways, my brother in law got one many years ago,and it was something else! I remember that there was something about the barrel and stock. They ( Tony and Bear, that would be Bear from Florida, not our domesticated Big Foot) made some shims for the forearm from plastic margarine covers, and then the barrel could be properly tightened. They tossed the factory sights, and went with a fixed power Burris scope & rings on it. We had a connection there back then, and "blems" were to be had for next to nothing. Tony and bear worked up some loads, and I saw Tony take his first Pronghorn Buck with it at close to 275 yards. Not bad for a 45/70! Sorry, but I have no idea of what was in the load recipe that they built up. I can tell you that he was a fan of Sierra and Nosler though.

Hope that helps, and have fun!

Shoot Straight & Be Safe!

JoeParker 04-08-2010 06:29 PM

Thanks everybody for your input. I'll definitly put it into consideration before deciding to make the purchase.

buckhuntr 04-11-2010 03:32 PM

I picked up a Ruger #1 Medium Sporter in 45-70 yesterday at a gun show. Three hours later, I put a few factory rounds through it, and was pleasantly surprised that the recoil wasn't as bad as I had been lead to believe. Certainly not as hard-kicking as my Savage 110 7mm mag in the lightweight synthetic stock. It was windy and I was using the back end of the pickup as a rest, but seemed to shoot well enough for hunting at my typical ranges.
I love the looks of the rifle, and have always wanted a 45-70, just had never gotten around to getting one before now. I'm going to have fun with this one. Of course, I'm easy to please, as long as the game falls down when the gun goes boom and I don't have to track it far, I'm happy. :D