Rounding out my starting collection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rounding out my starting collection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Rounding out my starting collection

So I am going to be in the market in the next couple months to be getting something else. I have a small collection going 2 skeet/trap guns, a browning citori and a rem 1100, 2 pistols a Beretta px4 and FNP-9, a BCM/Spikes AR...I am thinking that I want a bolt action rifle...something that I could possibly take hunting something that i have never done, but I really would like to, but mostly it will be for the range. If not I want either a GP 100 or CZ 75b or the sp01....any advise.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah the biggest thing that I would be hunting is deer or hog...I am in Florida so i think the deer are on the smaller side. the idea of a 91/30 also peaked my interest. thanks

Old 03-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1246 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 2521

I would advise against the Mosin. There's nothing wrong with that rifle and it would be a fine choice if you had a specific need that it would fulfill. Like you stated in your title you have a collection, and you don't appear to have any specific need for a bolt action other than to add to your collection (and to enjoy shooting on occasion or possibly hunt with). With that being the case, get a gun that will be collectible. I don't think Mosins will ever really be of much interest to collectors simply because there are so many of them, which is why they are so cheap. Get something that will be of interest to collectors, and will go up in value over time. An 03 Springfield in excellent shape or a German mauser in great shape with matching numbers would both be good choices to add to a collection if you like military rifles. There are a lot of different rifles that will be of interest to collectors one day, and hence more valuable, try to pick one of those to add it to your collection. A good example of what I'm talking about would be pre 64 Winchesters. They can still be bought but you will pay for one. 1970 would have been a great time to get a 10 year old used Winchester model 70.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #4

As a collector of Mosin-Nagants, I can only state that IMHO, the sheer quantity of these rifles is one factor that enhances their collectibility. I personally own a 1926 5-line Tula, a 1925 3-line Izhevsk, several 1930's era hex receiver Tulas, a laminated stock 1942 Izhevsk, a 1942 Izhevsk sniper (probably a US importer conversion) and a Polish M44 carbine. That's a lot of history for not a lot of money, and each one is unique.Cheap rifles, while perhaps not representing investment potential, can certainly be fascinating and enjoyable to collect. Plus, every one is a shooter.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yeah maybe i was a little vague on the collection term. What i am looking for is really just something to to add to what I already have in my cabinet that will be fun to shot. Really just want to get a nice variety started, something with some history attached it would be nice and I know that they can be found for around $100-$150.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:41 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I can think of a lot a rifles with history with them I don't think many of them are cheap I mean world war 2 era you have the thompson submachine gun mp 40 sturmgewehr 44 m1 grand my uncle has an m1 carbine which he uses to hunt with if you getting a rifle you want to shoot at the range and hunt with with history from world war 2 I would say the m1 carbine. kar 98 k I personally have a mosin I love that gun and I would definitely hunt with that

forumrunner_20120307_203614.jpg

pistol my grampa has a 1911 which is awesome my dad n uncle both have glocks those are amazing firearms I've never fired a beretta 9 millimeter but I'm sure that would be great firearm when it comes down to modern firearms I'm not an expert

shotguns you have the mossberg 500 remington 880

Well that's all I can think of so hope that helps

Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

O n when it comes to mosin rifles I'd say you your collection is not complete unless you have just look for 1 with all matching numbers including bayonet and in excellent to un used condition if you lucky like me with that condition they're not gonna come in cozmoline oh the sks is a decent rifle you can't really go wrong with an ak I have a ruger 1022 in that gun is amazing and when it comes down to ammo lookup j g sales they also sell guns I would recommend that store any day

Old 03-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #8

Liked 2465 Times on 1600 Posts

Mosin, enfield 303, ooo Mitchell's mausers are affordable collectables. Springfield 1903 nice but pricy.Modern? Savage 110, REM 700 are hard to beat. Win 70 falls somewhere inbetween.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1246 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 2521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat4sti View Post
yeah maybe i was a little vague on the collection term. What i am looking for is really just something to to add to what I already have in my cabinet that will be fun to shot. Really just want to get a nice variety started, something with some history attached it would be nice and I know that they can be found for around $100-$150.
I heard someone once say that "one difference between poor people and rich people is that rich people buy things that ascend in value and poor people buy things that descend in value." That saying has always stuck with me, and I try to always keep in that in mind for my purchases. That's also something I highly recommend everyone keep in mind for their purchases. A good example of this would be buying a simple table. You can run down to Walmart and pick up a pressboard table but you can often buy a decent antique for just a little more. Which will be the better purchase in 5 years? The same thing applies to guns.

There's nothing wrong with buying a Mosin (or anything else if its what you want), but just keep in mind that there are other options and some of those other options could increase in value. The Mosin will hold its value for a long time, but it probably won't increase in value other than keeping up with inflation. Go for it if you really want a Mosin, but even then try to find one that's rarer than a standard Mosin such as a sniper version.

And to go along with all of that; quality over quantity. You've already got a good collection of firearms. If those are the guns that you really want then great, just don't end up with a collection of a lot of guns that aren't exactly what you wanted. I've seen countless people buy guns because of the price and not get what they really wanted, but they end up buying enough of those guns at a leaser price that could have gotten what they wanted to start with.

Just some things to think about.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #10

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Owning a few rifles, pistols, does not make a collection. Collections are based on a specific fire arm action, era, caliber. This is a collection of rifles. Swedish Mausers and 91/30's.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.