Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Round when SHTF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Will you guys get real. There is no such thing as a SHTF. If you want to become criminals and pretend there will be such a thing, fine; but stay out of my neighborhood. I'll play cowboys instead. Or, I might even be a commando when I grow up.
cottontop
I never said s would htf. None of us here have the intent to be criminals, we want to be able to protect or provide food for our families when something goes south, not steal from others. I dont want to depend on the government to provide food or shelter. I am not paranoid but I want to have the know how to survive. Besides what else would I be doing right now besides sleeping

Old 12-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #12

Liked 1967 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 423

S has htf in areas such as the Gulf coast, The Eastern seaboard, Los Angeles, etc. there are store owners, home owners, and tenants who were happy to be armed. Odds are that most of us will never need a SHTF gun and ammo stash, but it doesn't hurt to have a reasonable amount to get through a crisis.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 101 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Will you guys get real. There is no such thing as a SHTF. If you want to become criminals and pretend there will be such a thing, fine; but stay out of my neighborhood. I'll play cowboys instead. Or, I might even be a commando when I grow up.
cottontop
You figure the country can just keep on going along the current path and everyone will live happily ever after??

The gooberment's record thus far in terms of response to natural disasters - even the expected ones - is rather pathetic. Katrina wasn't a SHTF situation?

Not being prepared for catastrophic events indicates a lack of personal responsibility and these kinds of people end up being problems in such scenarios either by being helpless and dependent upon others or by evolving into opportunistic parasites.

Firearms are only one aspect of disaster preparedness but - unfortunately - they are one of the most important as they'll help insure the integrity of all one's other aspects of preparedness.

I certainly have no desire to wage deadly battle with my fellow humans but I'm fully prepared to do so if my survival is on the line.

And I have no interest in your neighbourhood - that's your responsibility.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #14

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

Honestly cottontop has a valid point. But not 100%. Don't get me wrong. I would love to be a prepper and have tons of ammo and an AK, AR, .44, .45 and so on to strive for years after an apocolypse, but I can't afford that. Lol. I have enough to defend my family for a few days if chaos broke out, but honestly, our government would probably take all of us out and take our goods before we had a chance.........if SHTF. I talked to a lady at wal mart and she said, government officials are going around to wal marts and cleaning them out. He told her that they want to get the cheap affordable ammo off the shelves that's available for civilians. Didn't really believe her too much but it sounds like something they would do.

spit hell fire

Last edited by niteglock; 12-11-2012 at 06:15 AM.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #15

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

I can tell you this. I live on the gulf coast and we have a shtf situation just about every year. It may not be apocalypse. And order will be restored. But in the first weeks to follow a big storm. There is no power, police is stretched thin, looters are running around uncontrollably, you have no way to get food, even the police that are out and about are bad guys in my book. After Katrina the police stopped every car and boat they came across. Held the people at gun point and confiscated all guns. Some of those people still have not got there guns back.

Even tho it has ben a long time sense the area of tho coast I live has had a bad storm (south alabama). Even the small ins that just knock out the power for a week can be a pain to. Everyone scrambling for gas and food. Ill tell you what even the first sight of a storm you better get your a$$ to Walmart. Even before it is unclear if it is coming your way or not. With in 3 hrs of the weather station saying there is a tropical storm the shelves are striped and the pumps are empty.

That's why Alabama is so good at there job. They have had lots of practice.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #16

Storms and natural disasters are separate issues from the SHTF scenarios some of the posters are talking about. I live in central Florida where we are often under the threat of hurricanes. I am well prepared for a hurricane disaster, but I don't buy the so called "collapse of society" crap.
cottontop

Old 12-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #17

Default shtfbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
You figure the country can just keep on going along the current path and everyone will live happily ever after??

The gooberment's record thus far in terms of response to natural disasters - even the expected ones - is rather pathetic. Katrina wasn't a SHTF situation?

Not being prepared for catastrophic events indicates a lack of personal responsibility and these kinds of people end up being problems in such scenarios either by being helpless and dependent upon others or by evolving into opportunistic parasites.

Firearms are only one aspect of disaster preparedness but - unfortunately - they are one of the most important as they'll help insure the integrity of all one's other aspects of preparedness.

I certainly have no desire to wage deadly battle with my fellow humans but I'm fully prepared to do so if my survival is on the line.

And I have no interest in your neighbourhood - that's your responsibility.

Help! Help! I'm melting! I'm melting! Oh what a world. What a world. Who would have thought such a good little girl could destroy all of my wickedness?
cottontop

Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #18

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteglock View Post
...I talked to a lady at wal mart and she said, government officials are going around to wal marts and cleaning them out. He told her that they want to get the cheap affordable ammo off the shelves that's available for civilians. Didn't really believe her too much but it sounds like something they would do.
Y? The election is over and they won. No coup d'etat necessary until his third term...

I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not Cottontop, but now I see u are just in God's Waiting Room, insisting on the best and dismissing planning for the worst.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 12-11-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #19

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
What type of ammo are you guys stocking up for shtf? Fmj, hollow points, ect?
223/5.56 is mostly all FMJ form what I see but it is pretty cheap and easy to get. So I like to keep a good bit of it around. Now 7.62x39 HP ammo can be found and is also not too pricey. Both make great rounds to have around if one has something to shoot them out of.

Now, to the SHTF thing...Believe it or not things can happen to bring the worst out in people. Natural disaster can cause this (sorry cottontop, but it's a simple truth). We have seen examples of this in the not too distant past.

Government collapse? Pretty unlikely but one has to admit our economy is built on a house of cards and that does not make a good foundation. I'm sure we can look at history and see when a wheelbarrow of paper money couldn't get you anything and probably had more use as bum fodder. The sad reality is if it's happened before it can happen again. So many use the mantra better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Civil unrest? Sure, that's a fantasy. It's not like it has ever happened before. At least not in this country....right? Is it highly probable? I don't think it's near as probable as some may think but it's far from impossible. It has happened before. Our country was started in such a manner and than there was that pesky war between the states. To say it's impossible rather shows ones head is in the sand, in total denial, or maybe watching way too much MSNBC.

Zombies? Now here is one I can get behind the it aint gonna happen banner. I just do not believe we will have roving bands of undead looking for brains. I mean, we live in a country where a zombie could starve looking for brains. Again I bring us back to MSNBC and the idea that more people know who is getting kicked off Survivor or the X factor than can recite the Bill of Rights or could ID all 50 states on a map.
But the truth is zombies are neat We like to shoot targets, get zombie approved ammo and even zombie guns to shoot it from.
WE use the term zombie pretty loose truth be told. Zombie hordes can be anything from just the unwashed masses to those idiots in office. They could survive a while because they don't live on brains or even use them often. But at the end of the day zombie movies and shows are pretty cool. And I'll wager that there is probably no one on these boards that thing we will be overrun by the undead. At least nowhere else but on TV.

On a more serious note SHTF...Sure...It can happen. Will it? Can't say really. At least on the level of country wide I honestly don't see it happening in my lifetime. But it can. We but insurance on property because bad things can happen. How often does it happen? Statisticlly not all that often. But it happens and we want to be prepared for that. So why would it be all that far out an idea to prepare for some other bad things. It's not like it never happens. EVen when the odds are pretty slim.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Colby Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #20

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
Y? The election is over and they won. No coup d'etat necessary until his third term...

I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not Cottontop, but now I see u are just in God's Waiting Room, insisting on the best and dismissing planning for the worst.
Ill have to agree on this. It's nice to thank the world is all sun shine and rainbows. But in reality it's not. There is no garnet something will happen. But with a president with the power to enforce martial law. Who is also depleting our nuclear bombs. The most important trying to disarms the citizens. Heck I could sit here all day and post crap that is happening that could cause the end of us.

I'm sure he will get a third term. I'm just wondering what we have to go through until people decide they have had enuf.