Round when SHTF
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Round when SHTF

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 820
Liked 157 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Round when SHTF

What type of ammo are you guys stocking up for shtf? Fmj, hollow points, ect?
95sniper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bluez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,366
Liked 431 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 1588

Default

Whatever is cheap to stack deep and fits my rifles.
So mostly FMJ.
I have standardized on 5.56 and have a sufficiency in stock.
bluez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

Different ammos doing different things all have a use and are adviseable.
5.56 HP is not disallowed, to civillians.
M855 is particularly decent in many circumstances.
M193 is light, fast, and very effective for its size.
It's all good (though barrel twist influences bullet weights to me).
HockaLouis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 820
Liked 157 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Different ammos doing different things all have a use and are adviseable.
5.56 HP is not disallowed, to civillians.
M855 is particularly decent in many circumstances.
M193 is light, fast, and very effective for its size.
It's all good (though barrel twist influences bullet weights to me).
Lets say you had to protect your proprety from raiders, what type of rifle ammo would you use in a rifle (such as a 308) fmj or hp?
95sniper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bluez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,366
Liked 431 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 1588

Default

FMJ will be cheaper to buy as thats the military standard and much more common.
HP might do more damage but in a 308 thats probably academic
bluez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 820
Liked 157 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
FMJ will be cheaper to buy as thats the military standard and much more common.
HP might do more damage but in a 308 thats probably academic
I agree with you, I just wanted to see what your opinions were. Obviously a well placed shot with a rifle will do the job no matter what the bullet is
95sniper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #7
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Will you guys get real. There is no such thing as a SHTF. If you want to become criminals and pretend there will be such a thing, fine; but stay out of my neighborhood. I'll play cowboys instead. Or, I might even be a commando when I grow up.
cottontop
 
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hq357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 711
Liked 83 Times on 66 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop
Will you guys get real. There is no such thing as a SHTF. If you want to become criminals and pretend there will be such a thing, fine; but stay out of my neighborhood. I'll play cowboys instead. Or, I might even be a commando when I grow up.
cottontop
Criminals??! We would most likely be the ones defending your neighborhood and community from criminals! we dont pretend, we just dont know what the future is going to be like. We are people that rather be prepared for shtf, people that want to keep our families safe, rather then wishing we were prepared. stop watching the media nobody want's to be a wannabe rambo or commando. Grow up and look around, the world will not be amazing forever...
hq357 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:46 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 11,271
Liked 7692 Times on 4224 Posts
Likes Given: 7395

Default

I can't imagine any scenario that I couldn't handle with 5.56 M193 ball, and 9MM 115 grain +P+ JHP.

( But I keep a handful of M855 ball around just in case)
__________________
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”[IMG] Admiral Bull Halsey

Stop the population explosion. Make war, not love :D
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:27 AM   #10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default no such thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Criminals??! We would most likely be the ones defending your neighborhood and community from criminals! we dont pretend, we just dont know what the future is going to be like. We are people that rather be prepared for shtf, people that want to keep our families safe, rather then wishing we were prepared. stop watching the media nobody want's to be a wannabe rambo or commando. Grow up and look around, the world will not be amazing forever...


cottontop
 
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
SHtf gun BWilder General Rifle Discussion 42 09-08-2012 01:53 AM
9mm Glock with 30 round mag vs masterpiece arms mac 11 with 30 round mag Hdq Glock Forum 1 08-17-2012 04:02 PM
Is there a .380acp Round that has some POWER Hollow Point and or +P Round Possibly??? CAMCHAMPION1988 Ammunition & Reloading 7 10-08-2011 06:47 AM
10 round or 15 round magazine superx General Handgun Discussion 5 03-02-2011 09:20 PM
When SHTF...HP vs. FMJ CHLChris General Handgun Discussion 20 11-14-2010 11:38 PM



Newest Threads