Which Round - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Which Round

View Poll Results: Which Round?
.308 29 39.73%
30-06 32 43.84%
7mm 12 16.44%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21202 Times on 12040 Posts
Likes Given: 52916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
After reading these some more I've been thinking......

I'm sure my father still has his reloading equipment and tools somewhere. So I suppose it wouldn't be hard for me to get started on that if I wanted to. The thing that concerns me about reloading is if I would trust me reloads. I'm very hands on and I do prefer to do things myself so I'm sure I could do it given I'm properly instructed. I guess I should consider that a little more before I completely rule out 7mm.

If I do go with 30/06 I would use lighter loads, like 150gr for target. Less expensive and less kick. Which I think I would go with 30/06 before the .308 since it looks like it has more options and you can overcome the recoil by using lighter rounds.

Since I would pretty much be using it for target, you guys suggest a longer barrel. How long should I go?

As far as hunting goes. That's a pretty goo point to consider as well. I know I want to get a Ruger 77 in .243 as well. I wanted to get that for shorter ranges, plus I always loved my father's. Which is what he was doing reloading for back when he was deer hunting. If I were to use one for hunting, it would most likely be deer. So, the .243 would be good for that being smaller and plenty big enough to take down a deer.

As far as optics go, I refuse to buy a gun with optics on it. I want make sure I get a good scope. That's something I'm going to have to research as pick your brains about as well since I know camera optics, but I have no clue about scopes.

Thanks for all the advice and information so far. I was hoping this would be cut and dry.
reloading will give much more options, and isn't dangerous as long as you follow safety procedures and pay attention to what you're doing. buy the book, "ABC's of Reeloading" available at Amazon.com, for usually less than $15.00, and Lee's Modern Reloading data book, which is load data book but has much information on the reloading process. both are excellent sources of information.

with different powders, you can even tame some of the recoil of heavier bullets by using slower burning powders, which is something i do with heavier bulets. when you reload, you have way more options than what is available as factory loaded ammo.

on the heavier barrel, i would suggest between 24-26" barrel should be adequate for most bullets and powders. might have to see whats available in the caliber you want to use or you could always have an action rebarreled in a longer and heavier barrel. numerous options here too.

scope optics are pretty close to camera optics, the more you spend, usually the better the optical quality. many have their preferences when it comes to optics in brand and money spent. general rule of thumb on scopes i use, is the higher the magnification you want to go, the more you need to spend to get better quality optics.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #32

Liked 2448 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model70 View Post
I ride a horse.
I was referring to a post concerning carrying a gun

while walking afield, and hunting, not posting to the

book of exceptions.

Have fun with your Barrett....

Old 05-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21202 Times on 12040 Posts
Likes Given: 52916

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I was referring to a post concerning carrying a gun

while walking afield, and hunting, not posting to the

book of exceptions.

Have fun with your Barrett....
i understand what you're saying. a lighter rifle has it's definate advantages when walking and hiking up and down hills and gullys. my case is the exception to the rule as most hunting in our area is done from blinds and stands, and usually gotten to from an ATV or a truck, so therefor packing a rifle a long distance isn't usually done by many. now if i went to Colorado on an elk hunt, i would definately have to rethink my rifle choices! but your post had some good points to consider and was useful information to give thought to for amount of weight to carry.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #34

Liked 2448 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i understand what you're saying. a lighter rifle has it's definate advantages when walking and hiking up and down hills and gullys. my case is the exception to the rule as most hunting in our area is done from blinds and stands, and usually gotten to from an ATV or a truck, so therefor packing a rifle a long distance isn't usually done by many. now if i went to Colorado on an elk hunt, i would definately have to rethink my rifle choices! but your post had some good points to consider and was useful information to give thought to for amount of weight to carry.
And, fortunately for me, I'm large enough, and have an economy

and efficiency of gear, that I can carry whatever gun I want afield.

What's important when toting the gear, IMO, is to not lose the fun

factor for the sake of participating. If it were mountain terrain,

I'd probably be the first to trust a carbine, or consider

caching non-essential equipment.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1153 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

I myself would go with the aught-six, you know how many different barrels you can screw onto that action...........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-06_Springfield_Wildcat_Cartridges

When all else fails.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #36

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I would like to thank everyone for the information and helping me in this thread.

After a lot of consideration I think I've decided to go with 30/06. I still would like to get a 7mm of some sort. You can never have too many guns anyhow, right? I don't really want to take up reloading right now for various reasons. Though I'm not ruling it out in the future. If I do, the 7mm will go back on my list. And it will give me an excuse to try a different long range rifle besides the Ruger 77 and Remington 700.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #37

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 700 adl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
I'm hoping this hasn't been asked to death. I'm going to be buying my first long range rifle shortly and I want to get a Remington 700. I just don't know what I want it in.

I talked to my father and was thinking about .308 or 30-06 and he said not to bother with them and that I wanted a flatter shooting round like the 7mm. However, the 7mm is twice the price and lacks the reloading options of the other two.

Is there any truth to what he said?
My first centerfire rifle was a 700 in .270 flattest shooting high muzzle accurate as heck with open sites. I COULD HIT WHAT OTHERS were using scopes for. IF i HAD TO DO IT ALL OVER I'D GET THE SAME, AND NOT GIVE IT TO MY SON. WHO ENDED UP PAWNING IT Research 270 I don't think you'll be disappointed. JMB

Old 05-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #38

I know that I'm a dinosaur, but to me there is nothing like a .30-06. So many different loadings available, and flat shooting enough that our snipers used it in several wars.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #39

Hum 7mm ? 7mm-08 it's a good choice... You have a flatter balistic as .308 a you don't have the recoil like .308, 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag bullet weight for weight.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #40

Default Which round for a Remington 700?

Bullet caliber has less to do with killing power than does the construction of the bullet and the amount of energy delivered at impact. For example, a 6mm Remington 100-grain bullet leaving the muzzle at 3,250 fps delivers about 1,140 foot pounds of energy at 300 yards, while a .35 Remington with a 180-grain bullet leaving the muzzle at 2,000 fps racks up only about 1,000 foot pounds at the same 300-yard range. Both bullets are designed to expand properly on deer-sized game, but the 6mm has substantially more shock and stopping power than the .35-caliber slug twice its weight, both because of its higher velocity and its greater rotation (hydrostatic shock). Also, once a bullet enters animal tissue, the "caliber" changes quickly. Tests done by various ammo manufacturers has show that the 6mm bullet expands two and a half times and is actually .60-caliber by the time it's halfway or less through the animal. The heavier .35-caliber bullet, moving slower, might expand only twice, to about .70 caliber. There are many, many factors that determine rifle and caliber. The weight of the bullet, length of the barrel, caliber, etc., etc. Also, what will you be hunting and where will you be hunting? As for the .308 compared to the 30-06, BOTH are identical calibers: .308. When we talk about the ".308," we mean the 7.62x51 NATO, or 308 Winchester, which has a shorter case than the 30-06, or 30-06 Springfield. The 30-06 has a case that is .485 inches longer than the 308 Win., yet in spite of this, tests done at 300 yards have shown that the difference in drop between the two rounds, all things being equal and the with same weight bullets, is only a few inches! Because of this and the cost difference, I would choose the .308 over the 30-06 every time.