Which Round - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Which Round

View Poll Results: Which Round?
.308 29 39.73%
30-06 32 43.84%
7mm 12 16.44%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 02:00 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hello fellow Utahn! I hail from Weber County. The 7mm rem mag is much flatter shooting. You dad told you right. Check out what these guys do with a 7mm.

http://thebestofthewest.net/

7mm is a lot more powerful than a 30-06, with the right bullet it will wreck an elk at over 900 yards. Seen it done. I would just recommend you find a rifle that weighs at least 8 pounds. Light rifles kick like a mule. Long range is a heavier gun game.

In my old age, (so old at 28 ) I've settled on the good ol 30-06 for myself. I like the mild recoil and I don't have the time to practice those long shots anymore with a growing family. And it has plenty of energy to take an elk at any range I have any business shooting.

My dad shoots a 7mm (come on guys, there's only 1) to this day. Loves it. Killed more elk up in the Uinta's than most folks have ever killed elk. Just make sure you get it with a 26" barrel to maximize your velocity.

I like Winchester M70's a lot better than Remington 700's. But, I'll admit they can shoot.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Thanks for all the responses so far. They've been very informative. To answer some questions.... I intend to use the gun mainly for target. I certainly don't want to rule out hunting though. I've got a desire to and it would be nice to do that in the future if I decide to.

I was referring to the 7mm Remington Mag. I really didn't think to include other variants of 7mm. Transversely to the original question, are there any that are better than another?
beings you ruled out the 7mm Rem. Mag. due to cost, i gather you aren't reloading or plan to? if so, then the 308 or the 30-06 are the probably the best choices in the fact that both have some very selections in regards to bullet weights and types of ammo available. but still if you don't reload, ammo costs for the better premium ammo will get expensive. i would still suggest in investing in some reloading equipment. getting proficient at shooting long ranges is about shooting lots of rounds. i can shoot ammo that is way more accurate than even the expensive premium ammo, for way less.

also when you stated that you are more interested in target shooting, consider a rifle with a heavier and longer barrel and good optics. heavier barrel will have less barrel flex and take longer to heat up from repeated shots, but will take a little longer to cool down. good optics, well that pretty much explains itself. there are many little details that also add up to making an accurate rifle shot after shot. glass bedding the stock, pillar bedding the stock, an adjustable trigger and a good stock that allows a repeatable cheek weld when shooting. these are just things to factor in when looking for a rifle or building one. another item that needs careful consideration are the scope bases and rings, don't cheap out here.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #23

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

There is something else to consider here besides caliber, and that is weight. I have .30 caliber rifles, (.308 and .300 Win. Mag.), set up as long range target rifles, and all of them would be far too heavy and impractical to carry in the field on a long, 2 legged hunting trip. My .308 Savage Model 12 F/TR for example weighs in at over 14 pounds with scope and mounts. My Savage Model 10 FP isn't a whole lot lighter at almost 10 pounds. These guns are far too heavy for anything other than long range target shooting from a bench.

If you go to a lighter sporter model which is far more practical for hunting, you'll be giving up a lot of long range accuracy and velocity that a long, heavy target barrel provides. Your reward will be a much lighter, easier to handle gun. So you have to decide which for you and your applications are more important.

The other thing to consider is handloading. While there are several brands and types of match grade ammunition out there like Federal Gold Medal and Black Hills Gold, none of them will give you the accuracy that good, well prepared handloads can give. So in that regard paying a lot of money for a rifle that can deliver superb accuracy, then turn around and shoot only factory ammo in it, is going to rob accuracy potential the gun is capable of. The bottom line here is if whatever gun you wind up with shoots good, it will shoot a lot better with handloads because you are eliminating a lot of variables that factory ammo cannot, because it has to fit every chamber it goes into.

These are decisions you need to hash over with yourself before you get down to any specific caliber. Long range shooting is a hobby all on to it's own. Equipment is expensive. As they say in the automotive hobby, "speed costs money". You can directly translate that into the sport of long range shooting. The longer distances you wish to shoot, the more expensive of a proposition it becomes to do it right.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #24

BillT has touched on some points that need to be considered. weight is a key issue. a heavy rifle is your friend when target shooting as it helps absorb recoil. weight is your enemy when packing the rifle up and down gullys and hills on a hunting trip. my heavy barreled 308 weighs in at 12.5 lbs. and i wouldn't want to lug it around on a walking hunting trip! but it recoils like a 223 when you fire it now because of the weight.

so yes you could use a hunting rifle for target shooting and a target rifle for hunting. but would better off if you specified it's purpose if able to.as i move more into target shooting now myself, i am transitioning my rifles from hunting rifles into target rifles. i could still use mine for hunting if i so choose, because where i live, most hunting is done from blinds or tree stands, so therefore, i wouldn't have to lug a rifle all day long walking.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I must just be the exception. My favorite hunting rifle is 11 pounds. Semi-custom 25-06. But then I've been accused of being a big ol boy.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model70 View Post
I must just be the exception. My favorite hunting rifle is 11 pounds. Semi-custom 25-06. But then I've been accused of being a big ol boy.
iam partial to heavier rifles too. my lightest centerfire bolt action still weighs in a 9.5 lbs. and thats a Remington M700 in 204 Ruger! but i do way more target shooting, so my shooting is done from a bench, where weight isn't really an issue.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #27

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

IMHO, size to weight ratio is important when considering hunting or tracking

afield. 25 to 40 % of overall body weight is a max. This also depends on

your physical conditioning, and the rough of the terrain you're walking.

So, if you're 6'2", in moderately good physical shape, hunting in

woods and fields in flatlands, you can carry @ 35% of your weight,

adjusted to a moderately in shape physique peak weight @

200 LBs. x 35%= 70 lbs--you should easily be able to carry

a heavy gun, with a decent sling, and all your gear.

Next example: Mountains, 5'6"- peak weight 150 lbs. only 25%

of body weight for carry, due to strenuous terrain, then

150 X 25% =37.5 Lbs. This smaller guy may have difficulties

hauling the BMG50 over hill and over dale.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
IMHO, size to weight ratio is important when considering hunting or tracking

afield. 25 to 40 % of overall body weight is a max. This also depends on

your physical conditioning, and the rough of the terrain you're walking.

So, if you're 6'2", in moderately good physical shape, hunting in

woods and fields in flatlands, you can carry @ 35% of your weight,

adjusted to a moderately in shape physique peak weight @

200 LBs. x 35%= 70 lbs--you should easily be able to carry

a heavy gun, with a decent sling, and all your gear.

Next example: Mountains, 5'6"- peak weight 150 lbs. only 25%

of body weight for carry, due to strenuous terrain, then

150 X 25% =37.5 Lbs. This smaller guy may have difficulties

hauling the BMG50 over hill and over dale.
I ride a horse.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #29

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

After reading these some more I've been thinking......

I'm sure my father still has his reloading equipment and tools somewhere. So I suppose it wouldn't be hard for me to get started on that if I wanted to. The thing that concerns me about reloading is if I would trust me reloads. I'm very hands on and I do prefer to do things myself so I'm sure I could do it given I'm properly instructed. I guess I should consider that a little more before I completely rule out 7mm.

If I do go with 30/06 I would use lighter loads, like 150gr for target. Less expensive and less kick. Which I think I would go with 30/06 before the .308 since it looks like it has more options and you can overcome the recoil by using lighter rounds.

Since I would pretty much be using it for target, you guys suggest a longer barrel. How long should I go?

As far as hunting goes. That's a pretty goo point to consider as well. I know I want to get a Ruger 77 in .243 as well. I wanted to get that for shorter ranges, plus I always loved my father's. Which is what he was doing reloading for back when he was deer hunting. If I were to use one for hunting, it would most likely be deer. So, the .243 would be good for that being smaller and plenty big enough to take down a deer.

As far as optics go, I refuse to buy a gun with optics on it. I want make sure I get a good scope. That's something I'm going to have to research as pick your brains about as well since I know camera optics, but I have no clue about scopes.

Thanks for all the advice and information so far. I was hoping this would be cut and dry.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

If you ever have any reload questions and don't mind driving to Ogden, send me a PM.